Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline michelvr  
#1 Posted : 21 March 2018 03:02:47(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Good Evening,

Lately reading the news on the demise of Fleischmann HO and their beautiful HO Profi Track and the reintroduction of the RocoLine with Track Bed for Roco. I was wondering if Marklin is going to introduce more track pieces to the Marklin/Trix C Track program?

My use of Marklin C track is quite limited and I wish that the program had more useful pieces like double slips, slim three way turnouts and curves bigger than R5. It seems now would be a good time to catch a bigger market share with these missing pieces. What do you think?

Regards,

Michel
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 21 March 2018 08:22:35(UTC)
H0

Hi!

Märklin said the slim double slip would be the next new item after the slim curved turnout.

The 24360 came about 10 years after the first announcement, the slim curved turnouts took a few years longer than expected, so have patience with the slim double slip.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline hxmiesa  
#3 Posted : 21 March 2018 11:00:57(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
They have the R9 curve for the slim switches. Lots of people use them to create soft curved "straights", instead of the non-existing flex-track...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline michelvr  
#4 Posted : 21 March 2018 14:25:49(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!

Märklin said the slim double slip would be the next new item after the slim curved turnout.

The 24360 came about 10 years after the first announcement, the slim curved turnouts took a few years longer than expected, so have patience with the slim double slip.

BigGrin Patience, Smile patience l'm very lucky because I was blessed with an abundance of patience. Now for time well that I can not control and for me time flies!

Just thinking that l'll be eighty years old in twenty one years made me realize that Marklin might do it in that time frame!

Confused

I figure that Marklin first brought out the C track program in nineteen ninety nine.Cool Well that's about twenty years for the slim curved turnout to be produced so if they produce the slim double slip in the next twenty years I might live to see it! Tongue

The only thing I have to worry about is the Grim Reaper! Scared I hope he does not show up before that time! Flapper

Now if you read all this and smiled, You made my day! ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 21 March 2018 15:24:02(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The C track programme was meant to take over from the old M track. Considering that there was no provision ever on M track for large radii I think we can be grateful for what we have on C track at present!

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 21 March 2018 17:54:08(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post

I figure that Marklin first brought out the C track program in nineteen ninety nine.

No, they brought it out earlier than that, it was around 1995. We left NZ in 1997 and it had been out for two or three years then.
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 21 March 2018 18:11:42(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Marklin C track originated in the Marklin Alpha program around 1991. The tracks were kept on when the Alpha range was dropped and it became the C-track range.

UserPostedImage
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 21 March 2018 18:29:25(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
The tracks were kept on when the Alpha range was dropped and it became the C-track range.
The Alpha straight track had a length of 180 mm and the turnouts were R1, not R2. I'm not sure if they kept anything beside the click connectors and maybe the R1 curves.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#9 Posted : 21 March 2018 19:46:45(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The tracks were kept on when the Alpha range was dropped and it became the C-track range.
The Alpha straight track had a length of 180 mm and the turnouts were R1, not R2. I'm not sure if they kept anything beside the click connectors and maybe the R1 curves.

"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."

BigGrin
Ray
Offline sjbartels  
#10 Posted : 22 March 2018 05:01:05(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
So I'll ask, what exactly was the "Alpha Program"? A C track Prelude?

American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sjbartels
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 22 March 2018 07:49:46(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: sjbartels Go to Quoted Post
In a way.
It looks like C track, but came with a different geometry. I think there were only two radii.

"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."
Yeah.
But some people bought something that looked like C track on eBay - but it was Alpha track and the lengths were not what they expected.

Alpha track is rare on eBay, but take care if the description is just like "Märklin tracks" without giving the well-known ref. numbers 24xxx.

The new 21xxx tracks also look like C track, but the rails are plastic. The 20xxx C track is normal 24xxx track with different packages.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline hxmiesa  
#12 Posted : 22 March 2018 15:00:04(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
I think there are more differences between C-track and Alpha-track than the ones mentioned already;
The color of the plastic.
The height (code) of the rail used.
Fishplates; Although neither system uses fishplates, the Alpha-track had some plastic-studs under the end of the rail, just about where you would put a fishplate.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline RayF  
#13 Posted : 23 March 2018 11:47:06(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I believe that probably the Alpha tracks were never intended to replace M tracks when initially designed, but the ease of use and ruggedness of the tracks must have given them the idea to use them with the main Marklin programme. At that point they must have re-thought the geometry and changed other details slightly.

When Alpha disappeared it was a good opportunity to use the tooling from those tracks to launch the full C-track range.
Ray
Offline RayF  
#14 Posted : 23 March 2018 11:52:53(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: sjbartels Go to Quoted Post

Alpha was a range of futuristic trains and fantasy vehicles meant for children. It existed in the 1990s and at its peak boasted two locomotives (a streamlined tender engine available in red or black) and a selection of wagons with fun features such as removable modules for passengers and cargo.

There was also a range of buildings, road vehicles, figures, and dioramas.

UserPostedImage
Ray
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF