Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline amitbasu  
#1 Posted : 18 March 2018 16:39:37(UTC)
amitbasu

India   
I live in New Delhi, India. Where can I get my Marklin model train's transformer cum controller repaired ?
Offline sudibarba  
#2 Posted : 19 March 2018 03:34:09(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Originally Posted by: amitbasu Go to Quoted Post
I live in New Delhi, India. Where can I get my Marklin model train's transformer cum controller repaired ?

Buy a new one -safer and cheaper than a repair.
Eric
Offline amitbasu  
#3 Posted : 19 March 2018 06:36:55(UTC)
amitbasu

India   
OK, but where in India can I buy an engine and controller for my 1955 Marklin train set ? In excellent mechanical condition, but electrical problems.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 19 March 2018 12:58:02(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Most Märklinist will recommend to replace the transformer. I my case (I am an Electrical Engineer) I repaired my Transfo 280 (1952) by completely changing the power cord (formely made of rubber-based insulation and very dangerous if not replaced). Insulation must be thoroughly checked.
The repair MUST use a 3 wire cable including grounding, a plug connector with ground and a connection of the Transfo metallic case to the ground.

Attention: such old transfo even if well repaired is strongly NOT recommended using with recent Märklin locos. The overvoltage impulse is way too high (29 volts on my transfo) and may / will destroy electronics but they are fine with 1960 equipment (electro-mechanical invertor relays).

I would not leave such a repaired transfo to children.

Cheers

Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline sudibarba  
#5 Posted : 20 March 2018 02:38:21(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Any Marklin dealer on line can sell you a transformer. Just search.
Offline sudibarba  
#6 Posted : 20 March 2018 02:42:21(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Most Märklinist will recommend to replace the transformer. I my case (I am an Electrical Engineer) I repaired my Transfo 280 (1952) by completely changing the power cord (formely made of rubber-based insulation and very dangerous if not replaced). Insulation must be thoroughly checked.
The repair MUST use a 3 wire cable including grounding, a plug connector with ground and a connection of the Transfo metallic case to the ground.

Attention: such old transfo even if well repaired is strongly NOT recommended using with recent Märklin locos. The overvoltage impulse is way too high (29 volts on my transfo) and may / will destroy electronics but they are fine with 1960 equipment (electro-mechanical invertor relays).

Cheers

Jean

The power cord is an obvious replacement. But the part ( don't know the the name) that scrolls over the contacts is probably well worn in your case after 60 + years.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 20 March 2018 04:55:04(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
We have several forum members from India on the forum, I'm sure they can assist with answering the question as to where to obtain repairs, etc.

Names that come to mind

- Ranjit
- Madhu

(I'll need to look further when I'm able to).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#8 Posted : 20 March 2018 06:39:11(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Names that come to mind

- Ranjit
- Madhu

There is a group of Marklin enthusiasts India and I'm one of the Admins for that whatsapp group. We keep meeting twice a year and so much of information exchange happens on this whatsapp group. Please PM me your mobile number if you want to be part of that group. Few of the members might have an extra transformer as some of them have inherited 50+ year old Marklins from their parents. One die hard model railroader member stays in Delhi too. One of the members is a dealer and he has good contacts with German dealers and should be able to help you with this.

Else as Bigdaddynz mentioned search for the forum members Deepak, Ranjit, aswap5 and PM them

Alternately you can check with https://www.decibelscalemodels.com/. I've never done business with them. But heard good reviews from one of the club members.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by madhu.gn.71
Offline JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 20 March 2018 12:08:01(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: sudibarba Go to Quoted Post

Cheers

Jean

The power cord is an obvious replacement. But the part ( don't know the the name) that scrolls over the contacts is probably well worn in your case after 60 + years.

Hi

In fact, the inner part of the transfo was in pretty good shape except for the power cord. The transfo windings and their contacts were OK. Only the very flexible, rubber-like cord was litterally desintegrating.
Cheers

Jean
Offline sudibarba  
#10 Posted : 22 March 2018 03:14:05(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Originally Posted by: sudibarba Go to Quoted Post

Cheers

Jean

Hi

In fact, the inner part of the transfo was in pretty good shape except for the power cord. The transfo windings and their contacts were OK. Only the very flexible, rubber-like cord was litterally desintegrating.
Cheers

Jean

I don't know how to follow this tread butrepairing a 50+ year old transformer for a novice is bad advice.
Eric