Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rwill  
#1 Posted : 16 March 2018 10:18:48(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
One of the workhorses of my layout is a BR216. It is neither ancient nor modern. It originated from start set 29845 and I picked it up (new???) on EBay from Keesmarklin a couple of years back. It has always been the nice heavy track testing /cleaning lok on call first in most situations. A couple of months ago it was playing up, so some maintenance - new brushes, drop of oil and push and prod with tweezers - and it was back purring round the layout like an old coffee grinder again. Currently relocating my layout so no running for the last two weeks but have got to the point of test running, so call for the 216. When powered on she will move a foot, stop a few seconds move another foot and etc. Same in both directions. To check my track laying another lok was used which works perfectly.

Any suggestions?
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 16 March 2018 11:10:45(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Check your brushes if they are free and not blocked in the brush holder, look for potentially lose wire(s), check slider and see if there are any signs of oxidation. take of front bogie and make sure the contact between bogie and frame is clean, again the most likely spot whereas oxidation can take place.

regards.,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline analogmike  
#3 Posted : 16 March 2018 11:42:30(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
One of the workhorses of my layout is a BR216. It is neither ancient nor modern. It originated from start set 29845 and I picked it up (new???) on EBay from Keesmarklin a couple of years back. It has always been the nice heavy track testing /cleaning lok on call first in most situations. A couple of months ago it was playing up, so some maintenance - new brushes, drop of oil and push and prod with tweezers - and it was back purring round the layout like an old coffee grinder again. Currently relocating my layout so no running for the last two weeks but have got to the point of test running, so call for the 216. When powered on she will move a foot, stop a few seconds move another foot and etc. Same in both directions. To check my track laying another lok was used which works perfectly.

Any suggestions?

With the body shell removed, Run the Lok until it stalls. With track voltage up,Take a wooden tooth pic and touch the brushes to check spring tension. If the Lok starts to run this is where the trouble is. If not, keep exploring and poking round till she starts up.
Low teck at it's best but I have found many a problem this way.

Mikey
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 17 March 2018 08:28:41(UTC)
H0

When powered on she will move a foot, stop a few seconds move another foot and etc. Same in both directions.
Do the lights go off when she stops?

Filled up collector gaps could lead to a decoder overload with the decoder switching off.
Clean the collector, make sure there is no oil on the collector or the brush holders/motor plate and install clean brushes if the old brushes are oily.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Rwill  
#5 Posted : 17 March 2018 11:21:13(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Thanks guys for your help.

Stripped down the motor -I know most of you do six of these before breakfast but to me this was a first!. Discovered a lot of gooey black stuff inside cleaned it all up with WD40 reassembled and off she went lovely. I wouldn't have said I was a loco oil maniac but clearly I must be!
Offline analogmike  
#6 Posted : 17 March 2018 12:34:36(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Thanks guys for your help.

Stripped down the motor -I know most of you do six of these before breakfast but to me this was a first!. Discovered a lot of gooey black stuff inside cleaned it all up with WD40 reassembled and off she went lovely. I wouldn't have said I was a loco oil maniac but clearly I must be!

Glad you found it. Black stuff is normal, but if it is very gooey it may be a sign of over oiling. Take note. Live and learn.
Mikey.
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by analogmike