Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Fredashay  
#1 Posted : 13 March 2018 02:24:41(UTC)
Fredashay

United States   
I have a Trix Entertainment Car # 23490.

The carriage works as advertised.

It plays music that I can put on a micro SD card which goes into a slot under the carriage, and it has multi-colored disco lights that flash to the beat of the music.

The problem is that the carriage goes "dead" whenever it moves.

I've cleaned my track, but that didn't fix the problem.

I suspect the problem is with the metal contact springs that brush against the wheel flanges, that they're not pressing against the wheel flange with as much tension as they should be.

If I could take the wheels off the bogies and bend the metal prongs to give them more tension against the wheel flanges, that should fix the problem, I think.

The booklet that came with the carriage has a few pages in English that explain the basic operation of the lighting and sound effects and a table of what each of the CV functions do, but I can't find a detailed manual of how to disassemble the carriage and the bogies.

I don't want to just start pulling parts off and break anything.

Anything that I come across with Google that promises to be helpful is in German.

I don't read German.

Can anyone point me to something in English to help me out.
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 13 March 2018 02:34:41(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
with this website link, go to manuals and scroll down to the end of the page and it shows you how to remove the housing.

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/43868/
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 13 March 2018 14:27:02(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Fredashay Go to Quoted Post
I have a Trix Entertainment Car # 23490.

The carriage works as advertised.

It plays music that I can put on a micro SD card which goes into a slot under the carriage, and it has multi-colored disco lights that flash to the beat of the music.

The problem is that the carriage goes "dead" whenever it moves.

I've cleaned my track, but that didn't fix the problem.

I suspect the problem is with the metal contact springs that brush against the wheel flanges, that they're not pressing against the wheel flange with as much tension as they should be.

If I could take the wheels off the bogies and bend the metal prongs to give them more tension against the wheel flanges, that should fix the problem, I think.

The booklet that came with the carriage has a few pages in English that explain the basic operation of the lighting and sound effects and a table of what each of the CV functions do, but I can't find a detailed manual of how to disassemble the carriage and the bogies.

I don't want to just start pulling parts off and break anything.

Anything that I come across with Google that promises to be helpful is in German.

I don't read German.

Can anyone point me to something in English to help me out.

Hi Fredashay

Looking on the Internet, your boggies look like this (Picture extracted from Trix 23490 I thank Mr Honosha Hatena for the use of this picture.
UserPostedImage

If your boggie looks like this then the intervention is simple:
- delicately bend outward the pick-up boggie side near the axle to pull the axle out
- clean each 2 wheelsets especially on the Rolling surface and on the Inside flange surface.
- check that contacts- without the wheelset- go past the wheel position by 1 mm on each side
- make sure contacts are clean (using a cotton swab with contact cleaner fluid)
- clip bak wheelsets in position
Hoping this helps
Cheers

Jean

Offline Fredashay  
#4 Posted : 13 March 2018 19:42:23(UTC)
Fredashay

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post

with this website link, go to manuals and scroll down to the end of the page and it shows you how to remove the housing.
https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/43868/

Thanks, but that's the same booklet that came with the carriage. It doesn't tell me how to remove the bogies.

Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post

Hi Fredashay

Looking on the Internet, your boggies look like this (Picture extracted from Trix 23490 I thank Mr Honosha Hatena for the use of this picture.
UserPostedImage

If your boggie looks like this then the intervention is simple:
- delicately bend outward the pick-up boggie side near the axle to pull the axle out
- clean each 2 wheelsets especially on the Rolling surface and on the Inside flange surface.
- check that contacts- without the wheelset- go past the wheel position by 1 mm on each side
- make sure contacts are clean (using a cotton swab with contact cleaner fluid)
- clip bak wheelsets in position
Hoping this helps
Cheers

Jean

Yes, that's exactly what the bogies look like.
That's what I needed to know, if I can just pull the wheels off without breaking the bogie -- especially since replacement parts are no longer available.
I bet this coach has been sitting in the back of a hobby shop shelf unnoticed for years, so the wheels and contact points have probably formed a layer of oxidation over the years.
So thanks!

I had also been thinking of building a circuit with a capacitor and/or rechargeable watch battery to keep the power on during momentary power breaks. I would think this is a common problem in the hobby and such circuit plans should be readily available.

Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 13 March 2018 19:49:18(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
if this is all you need to do, remove the axles and clean the contact points and the inside of the wheels.
Offline Fredashay  
#6 Posted : 13 March 2018 22:15:08(UTC)
Fredashay

United States   
I haven't done it yet because I need to go out and buy some electric contact cleaner, or just some 95% Isopropyl alcohol.

Turns out my bottle is all dried out.

But yes, I'm pretty sure that's all I need to do is clean the spots where the copper bits rub against the inside of the wheel flanges, and maybe bend them outward ever so slightly so they exert a little more pressure against the wheels.
Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 14 March 2018 00:44:43(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Fredashay Go to Quoted Post
I haven't done it yet because I need to go out and buy some electric contact cleaner, or just some 95% Isopropyl alcohol.

Turns out my bottle is all dried out.

But yes, I'm pretty sure that's all I need to do is clean the spots where the copper bits rub against the inside of the wheel flanges, and maybe bend them outward ever so slightly so they exert a little more pressure against the wheels.

you ouldn't need to do it, if you apply to much pressure the carriage may not move at allBigGrin