Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Lawrie  
#1 Posted : 11 March 2018 18:08:59(UTC)
Lawrie

United Kingdom   
Hi,

I want to buy a new loco (Marklin) to be as sure as possible all is fine.
For rolling stock i want to buy 'preowned' from ebay. It is always a bit of a lottery with anything on ebay. What should I look for and what questions need to be asked?

Thanks
Offline Markus Schild  
#2 Posted : 11 March 2018 19:36:59(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Lawrie,

I would look for the wheels. Early wagons until 1979/80 came with plastic wheels, later ones have metal-wheels. The plastic - wheels don't run well and many owners replaced them. Especially if you are looking for cars which only came with plastic wheels from the factory like the express-train coaches in "pop"-livery (#8720 ff) it is a good idea to prefer an offer where the wheels are already changed.

Regards

Markus
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#3 Posted : 14 March 2018 20:28:51(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
I've bought a few items pre-owned through eBay and my experience has been generally positive, though there have been a few minor disappointments.

As Markus says, do check the wheels (or if you can't see from the photo, ask). I find the plastic wheels are very prone to derailing (and also have a tendency to be chipped or cracked). Replacement wheels are available, but are expensive, so take that into account when bidding.

Items that are boxed command a bit of a premium, so the bargains are usually unboxed, though you then have problem of storing them safely.

Study the pictures carefully - check all buffers are intact, that couplings are present and correct and the general state of the paint job. If the pictures aren't good enough to tell, be cautious.

Also be wary of wagons with loads - I've been caught out by a couple of these where the loads weren't original and were glued to the wagon, so it took a bit of effort to remove them and restore the wagon to a satisfactory condition.

Finally beware of overseas postage/customs costs - I've won a couple of items only to find a hefty customs charge added when I came to pay.

In general, though, it's a good way to pick up interesting rolling stock, just study the photos and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Cheers

Chris
Offline Lawrie  
#4 Posted : 14 March 2018 23:35:06(UTC)
Lawrie

United Kingdom   
Thanks for the detailed and helpful response.
As to customs...I ordered a Rokuhan layout plus controller from Japan Eu on Sunday from Amazon.
I have sent 4 emails requesting invoice which Amazon say should contain an estimate of customs and other charges...No response.
Also been in touch with Amazon customer services which have been no help😕
Will wait and see.
Offline Zme  
#5 Posted : 17 March 2018 00:49:13(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello. Checking the photos and description is a good idea.

Ebay sellers sometimes report if the box is missing, or is not the original. This could be verified by the number, just use that number to verify it is the correct car for the box. Enter a web search for Marklin #### and see what images you get. See if it matches the item for sale.

When just getting started, it is not uncommon to accept any good value of rolling stock, just to get going. After a time, you may become a more discerning buyer. I was looking for cheap when I started out. I would purchase cars without a box, or regional sets which were missing a box lid or a car. Eventually, I was able to purchase the missing car or a new box at a cheap price. I still have many of these cars and they work fine. Chances are it will work out fine eventually.

One point I suggest you watch for the Marklin box ends. The "Wood Grained" boxes normally came with the plastic wheels. Later the regular brown type box end, came with the stainless steel type of wheels. In about 2000, Marklin started with the blackened wheels sets, which are more realistic. Check the photos or description and it should allow you to determine what kind of wheels it has.

The Marklin wheels sets could be purchased from your favorite vendor in either the stainless or blackened variety. These replacements usually would allow you to replace the wheels sets on two, two axle wagons. They are normally pretty easy to replace and will improve appearance and performance at a added cost.

It is true, postage from France and sometimes Germany can be an expensive additional cost. Unless it is a rare item, you might want to be careful. I have made a few German purchases and it was costly to ship, but at least now they can be tracked to delivery.

Best wishes.

Dwight
Offline Lawrie  
#6 Posted : 17 March 2018 10:01:20(UTC)
Lawrie

United Kingdom   
Many thanks,
You have described some of the stock I have been watching!.
Not sure why I thought this would be straightforward as I collect toy steam engines and know mostly what is wrong and what should be looked out for.
There is a large model train exhibition near me in two weeks and there is one display of z scale train layouts.
I hope to actually see some wagons there which will help.
Cheers
Lawrie
Offline Wal  
#7 Posted : 19 March 2018 08:58:59(UTC)
Wal

Australia   
Hello Laurie,

I've also bought wagons from z track resale...
http://www.ztrackresale.com

and have had no problems with the items that I've bought from them. They show pics of whats on offer.

Cheers,

Wal
Offline Lawrie  
#8 Posted : 19 March 2018 13:20:16(UTC)
Lawrie

United Kingdom   
Hi Wal,

Looked at the site and it seems good. Will check with them on delivery costs:-)
Just posted another question on customs and taxes and wonder what your experience is
cheers
lawrie
Offline Wal  
#9 Posted : 20 March 2018 23:39:08(UTC)
Wal

Australia   
Hi Lawrie,

In our part of the world (Australia) we currently get up to $1000 tax/duty free on each shipment. So currently there's no issue for me 'cause it's unlikely I'll spend that much on a single order of wagons. Delivery comes via the mail and usually takes about a week.

Cheers,

Wal
Offline Lawrie  
#10 Posted : 21 March 2018 10:48:59(UTC)
Lawrie

United Kingdom   
Ah, that makes sense as I guess you are part of the same trading area
Cheers
Lawrie
Offline skybolt  
#11 Posted : 05 April 2018 17:54:42(UTC)
skybolt

United States   
If the pictures are not clear just move on. If there are more pictures of the box than of the car be suspicious. Look for many pictures and for missing or broken parts. If it is posted as new or like new look for gummy ( dirty ) wheels and wheel wear. Check the seller information for negative feedback.
Offline Lawrie  
#12 Posted : 05 April 2018 23:03:08(UTC)
Lawrie

United Kingdom   
Thanks😀👍