Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline skeeterbuck  
#1 Posted : 08 March 2018 18:45:48(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
I'm trying to find out some info on the Marklin Primex 33005 BR23 engine. When Marklin re-issued this engine in 2000-2001 did they redesign it to accept a Seuthe smoke unit. I seem to remember reading at the time that it was, but I can't find any info now to indicate that.

Chuck
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 08 March 2018 18:52:32(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: skeeterbuck Go to Quoted Post
I'm trying to find out some info on the Marklin Primex 33005 BR23 engine. When Marklin re-issued this engine in 2000-2001 did they redesign it to accept a Seuthe smoke unit. I seem to remember reading at the time that it was, but I can't find any info now to indicate that.

Chuck

I would have to dig mine out and have a look. I don't recall anything about it accepting a smoke unit. Looks like it was just too early to be in the Marklin database, but my understanding was they 'just' used the parts for the 3005 to make these as one of the early retro locos they made, doing this one to keep the Primex name registration as a trade mark or product registration. On this basis I doubt they added anything for a smoke unit (unless the 3005 already had that facility), the only change I am aware of is it comes with a Delta decoder instead of a mechanical reversing unit.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 13 March 2018 14:49:20(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: skeeterbuck Go to Quoted Post

Chuck

Hi Chuck

The only reference I found is Märklin 30050 (news 2011). It does not show a Seuthe capability.
Having this lok myself (1960 3005 version), I know the modification is possible using a Seuthe 21 or 22 for analog operation or a Seuthe 23 for digital operation

You have to drill a 3mm dia. hole in the smoke exhaust and connect 2 wires to the frame and the current slider.

Alternately, you may also use a Seuthe 12 (Digital) or Seuthe 100 (analogue) if you drill a 5 mm hole in the smoke exhaust.

The difficulty is to drill a hole exactly in the Chimney center and perfectly vertical. An electrical drill on column is helpful.

Hope this helps
Cheers

Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 14 March 2018 12:53:35(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Chuck

There is also as you mentioned a Primex 33005. Here is a link to an eBay advert and pictures33005 Primex.
A description (halas not from Märklin Primex) can be found here Lok Museum
It came with a delta decoder and had no smoking capability.
Cheers

Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline skeeterbuck  
#5 Posted : 14 March 2018 14:05:41(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Thanks Alan and Jean for your thoughtful replies. I think I may have had it confused with another locomotive. I was aware that it can be converted to use a Seuthe unit as can most older Märklin engines. The only one that I can think of off hand that it can't be done without some major work is the BR 38 (3097) style because the motor is in the front. Sad

Chuck
Offline 60904  
#6 Posted : 17 March 2018 09:55:09(UTC)

Germany   
Good morning,

as you can see here, the hole is already there; factory made:

UserPostedImage

It is quite easy to fit a smoke unit fron Seuthe and connect the two wires to the Delta Decoder.
Greetings
Martin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 60904