Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ShannonN  
#1 Posted : 06 March 2018 09:33:05(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   
"I had initially written-off filming today's Torbay Express because of thick fog and "mizzle". That is until the sun started to break through just as 4464 was due to leave Paignton for the climb to Churston.

I therefore decided to hurry down to the beach at Broadsands, a stone's throw from my house, in order to see how a large-wheeled Pacific would tackle the very testing climb in such damp and humid conditions. The sea mist is still hanging around as Bittern rounds the headland and labours over Broadsands Viaduct.

The local Class 25 is sensibly added and applies full banking assistance to the A4, suffering virtually zero adhesion, plus 12 coaches, a big load for a Class 25! Things did not look good after another major slip slowed the train to a snail's pace over Hookhills Viaduct and up into the steep cutting.

As I strolled back my fears were confirmed when the train suddenly re-appeared back down onto the viaduct after failing to make the summit at Churston Station. A quick dash home for the motorbike quickly got me to Bascombe Road Bridge just in time to see 7827 Lydham Manor, called up from its train awaiting departure in Paignton Station, attach to the rear to get things underway again, making this the second double-banker I have filmed this year!!

Some impression of the grade can be seen, compared to the siding on the left, as 7827 disappears around the corner. Eventually, panic over, 4464 shows off its wonderful lines and colour scheme in the sunshine whilst turning at Churston.

And finally, in spectacular visibility, we see Bittern heading back to Bristol against a background of Torbay in all its glory. What a day! And something for the passengers to talk about for years to come!!

Edited by moderator 06 March 2018 20:06:00(UTC)  | Reason: Added the BB tags to show video in the forum too /Webmaster

thanks 13 users liked this useful post by ShannonN
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 06 March 2018 19:21:20(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Great story!

I love that part of the country! Lots of places to explore and of course there are a few preserved railways with steam trains close by! ThumpUp
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline ShannonN  
#3 Posted : 06 March 2018 19:45:51(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Great story!

I love that part of the country! Lots of places to explore and of course there are a few preserved railways with steam trains close by! ThumpUp

Also I'd love to go back over to UK mostly I love Wales so many trains there. Mt Snowdon and Festiniog come to mind think a rail trip across to anglesea across that huge bridge awesome
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ShannonN
Offline ShannonN  
#4 Posted : 06 March 2018 19:57:04(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   
Originally Posted by: ShannonN Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Great story!

Also I'd love to go back over to UK mostly I love Wales so many trains there. Mt Snowdon and Festiniog come to mind think a rail trip across to anglesea across that huge bridge awesome

I would love to do this one https://www.theguardian.com/trav...-car-holyhead-to-cardiff

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ShannonN
Offline xxup  
#5 Posted : 06 March 2018 23:29:01(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Lots of Dunnys there at the beach.. Must be some terrible eating places around there... Blushing
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline dominator  
#6 Posted : 07 March 2018 03:38:09(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
They just have very small boats over there. ???

What a waste of steam in that last segment of the video.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline ShannonN  
#7 Posted : 08 March 2018 06:14:52(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Lots of Dunnys there at the beach.. Must be some terrible eating places around there... Blushing

Lol Change room for 1

Offline xxup  
#8 Posted : 08 March 2018 07:36:52(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
What? They get changed into their budgie smugglers in the dunny? Sensitive lot.. Confused
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com