Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MaerklinLife  
#1 Posted : 03 March 2018 08:49:00(UTC)
MaerklinLife

The Märklin signals are quite expensive. So the price alone of course keeps some users from buying them.

Yet if you compare them head to head with the Viessmann signals (power module, decoder and signal) in half the cases the Viessmann exact equivalent is actually at bit more expensive)

Still nobody seems to notice that. So what are you looking for in a signal? What keeps you from choosing the Märklin signals?
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 03 March 2018 09:09:46(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The fact that I've got Viessmann signals.
Offline mrmarklin  
#3 Posted : 03 March 2018 09:23:43(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post
The Märklin signals are quite expensive. So the price alone of course keeps some users from buying them.

Yet if you compare them head to head with the Viessmann signals (power module, decoder and signal) in half the cases the Viessmann exact equivalent is actually at bit more expensive)

Still nobody seems to notice that. So what are you looking for in a signal? What keeps you from choosing the Märklin signals?

The signals are expensive and delicate. Crying But they are MFX ready, so that’s what I use for my C track layout.

I do choose Märklin.Love
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline Thewolf  
#4 Posted : 03 March 2018 12:25:52(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Hi guys Cool

I got Viesmann signals.

I replaced them all with marklin signals.

The Viesmanns were 4011s, the Marklins were 74391s.

In my opinion, the Marklin connection and installation system is of better quality and simpler.

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 03 March 2018 13:49:52(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I operate my signals in non-digital mode, so for me the Marklin signals which bring a digital decoder installed are an overkill and an expense I don't need.

The Viessmann signals I have do not have decoders and are therefore cheaper than the Marklin equivalents.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Rwill  
#6 Posted : 03 March 2018 14:37:41(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I have a long standing love/hate relationship with signals.

When fitted they seem to be forever vulnerable to cats and clumsy me leaning over to deal with an emergency - I have as many broken signals as I have not working turnout motors

I operate without distress layouts without any signals.

I have tried the 7239 etc range of electromagnetic signals - ok but a bit chunky and dare I say old fashioned

I have tried the hobby signals 74391 etc. Very fragile but quite cheap but when you factor in a M84 per four not quite so cheap. Furthermore as a start up thing they have fixed length wire (that is thick enough for household wiring let alone a tiny LED) and rather flimsy connectors to the M84. I know all that can be altered but it somewhat destroys the point. For simple block signal & cosmetics etc they serve a purpose.

I have tried various Viessmann signals in different formats and they are OK to good but even to operate digital seem to need a lot of wiring which as I usually fit signals as an afterthought to a layout can be a pain.

And then last year I had an order in progress with one of my suppliers and was a bit grumpy at the shipping cost versus the low value of the order and on a whim I pressed buy on 70392 at a good price. I am enthralled with the product. .Two wires to connect to the track power and two wires to isolate/power the dead section. A little piano decoder to MM and we are off. I have placed it in a position unlikely to be affected by cats or me and its great.

One thing that always puzzles me is that If I lay all the various types of signal in a row the variance in height and size is enormous and I.m not sure which would be roughly to scale.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline michelvr  
#7 Posted : 03 March 2018 14:45:33(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

That's funny, you put a big smile on my face!BigGrin

Offline DaleSchultz  
#8 Posted : 03 March 2018 16:07:41(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
price. What Ray said.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline petestra  
#9 Posted : 03 March 2018 16:15:27(UTC)
petestra

United States   
So I have always used Marklin signals. 1.Oldies analog from 1965-2003. I am still using a few.

2. Then the 763** new generation ones came out from 2003-2012. I use for mainline block operation still controlled in analog.

3. Then the MFX 70***/764*** ones from 2012-present. I use for yards and some other areas connected to CS3.

I have found that the best for me were the 763** series ones. Yes, a little more work wiring up but at least they worked with

circuit tracks without having to buy the S88 decoders which in my opinion is a large added expense and they do not really save

all that much wiring as well as having to create ridiculous "events" on the CS3. I wish Marklin would have kept these newer ones (number 3 on my list) to the same working

characteristics as number 2.

Peter. Cool
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline PeFu  
#10 Posted : 03 March 2018 18:41:19(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
No Swiss signals available from M... Blink
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline midwestbls  
#11 Posted : 03 March 2018 22:15:35(UTC)
midwestbls

United States   
Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post
No Swiss signals available from M... Blink

EXACTLY! Let's have some Swiss signals, Marklin! (And design them for primarily left hand mounting.)

I have a few - not yet installed because it requires a permanent layout - Viessmann SBB semaphores, single & double-arm. And I have a few new Markliln DB mfx semaphores because they are easy to set up and use on temporary C-track layouts.
ETE - Swiss Era III - BLS - Brig Station
Offline foumaro  
#12 Posted : 04 March 2018 05:29:33(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I am using marklin signals 7036,7038,7039,7040,7041 for over 23 years,at first with analog transformer,then with 6021 and now with CS2 without any problem at all.They are perfect.ThumpUp
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline pab  
#13 Posted : 04 March 2018 14:46:54(UTC)
pab

Netherlands   
I started with M signals (semaphore). Switched to Viessmann semaphore signals (4501, 4502 and 4503) because those were better looking and easier to mount (you only have to drill a hole). So most of my visable signals are now Viessmann. Seldom has a problem with any of my signals and most of the time that's a wiring problem or a clumsy action.

Now I see that the traditional semaphore signals are remove from the catalogue, only the "schmalmast" type is in the catalogue, but temporarily not available.
They announced new signals with led and build in decoder and without the large underfloor part. Could not find those in the catalogue, are only in the new items catalogue 2017. You need to have a relay or braking module when want to control the trains traditionally. But again temporarily not available.

So I have not decided yet what I should buy when I need another semaphore signal. Because of the very small unit I have a preference for the Viessmann one, but that means I need an additional relay.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by pab
Offline hxmiesa  
#14 Posted : 05 March 2018 11:01:35(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
I use Viessmann light-signals in kit-form.
As I run my train analogue, and the power is switched with industrial 24V relays, I really dont need anything more than the model of the signal with its lLEDs, so its much cheaper like that.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline klarinettmeister  
#15 Posted : 05 March 2018 22:22:25(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
I've bought some of the newer Märklin ones and I love them. They are pretty expensive so you have to omit some other models to afford them.

I have both the older 763XX and the newer 764XX with their respective distant signals have only tried the 763XX series signals. Just remember that the distant signals differ so you can't use older distant signals with the newer signals and vice versa.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by klarinettmeister
Offline Donb  
#16 Posted : 06 March 2018 07:58:19(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
I like the Viessmann Multiplex signals, I can connect them to a pushbutton box, curcuit tracks, and my MS2 very easily. Very simple wiring.
Best Regards,
Don
___________________________________________________________________________________
CS3, ( Commander is now retired) , C track and Z scale, mostly DB/DR and SBB, SJ
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Donb
Offline hxmiesa  
#17 Posted : 08 March 2018 09:10:44(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

So what made you decide on Viessmann in the first place? ;-)

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline TEEWolf  
#18 Posted : 10 March 2018 00:24:14(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post

I came to the same conclusion after I bought a Viessmann turnout decoder. But what I missed at the Viessmann decoder is the mfx function. I found out for the signals it is similar. Mfx makes your model railroad life easier. You do not have to think about digital addresses very much.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Minok  
#19 Posted : 12 March 2018 22:21:34(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Having no signals yet, its all academic theory to me at this point but I can see spending money on some of the Märklin signals with the embedded decoders for placement way out on the layout where there isn't a lot else, as it would reduce the need run long runs of wire back to a dedicated multi-signal decoder/controller. Then using dumber signals driven by a multi-output decoder/controller in station areas. My layout plan is an around-the walls multi-level shelf system, with stations at 6 distinct areas, but for the stretches between those station areas, I'd have to run wiring out there for 2 or 4 signals from the station region. So I'll have to do the analysis when I get to building signals into the system (which may not be till 2020+).
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline steventrain  
#20 Posted : 12 March 2018 22:37:53(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I decide to stop buying expensive signals, Some are issue.

I use old signals such as 7039 etc with k83 decoder at cheaper.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain