Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline skeeterbuck  
#1 Posted : 01 March 2018 19:04:42(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
I been recently looking at several Primex items on "Fleabay" Flapper and noticed that the prices are all over the place. I not talking about the rarer items,
just the normal Beck's Beer reefer which are very common. I see prices from less that $10 to some to $50 or more. I guess you really need to shop around. Confused Laugh

Anyway, while researching some items in the Primex Catalogs, I noticed two things I thought were rather odd. In the 1988 catalog, the Orient Express set is featured on the cover, yet there is no more mention of the rather top of the line set (for Primex) until the back cover. I would have thought that it would have been listed somewhere on the inside pages.

The other item I notice was that on the cover of the 90/91 catalog it shows item 3190 which is their version of the classic Marklin 3000 Class 80 Loco. Nothing strange about that other than the fact it is smoking. You can clearly see that the smoke stack has been removed and a suitable Suethe unit installed in its place. Talk about "truth in advertising".

Anyone else ever notice any "oddites" in their catalogs, Primex, Marklin or otherwise?

Let's hear them
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 01 March 2018 19:56:56(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
One oddity that I have picked up on in the past is the appearance on photos in catalogues of locomotives and stock that are not in that particular catalogue.

In one catalogue that is from the 1980s there is a photo which clearly shows a Br01. I had to go back quite a few catalogues from previous years before I found the 3048!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Markus Schild  
#3 Posted : 01 March 2018 20:37:09(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

I know more, but I like these three most.
Do you see the proud boy who built the fire-ladder? He followed the instruction in the manual exactly. And what happened? He cannot lift the ladder like everybody who followed the instructions. The model does not work. But he knows a trick: Just put a red plate under the ladder to prevent it from falling back.
I'm sure the photographer wanted to take that plate away for the published version. But it was forgotten . Märklin 1971, p72.

1971-72.jpg

This next one comes from the shop window display catalogue 1970. What will happen when the train will take the line under the bridge? Will it kill the funnel or the bridge?

minexdisplay.jpg

We had this before, some years ago, as a quiz. What's wrong? The two-axle car comes from BING, Märklins biggest competitor in the 1920s. (1975, p 45)

1975-45.jpg

Regards

Markus
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline Minok  
#4 Posted : 01 March 2018 21:21:45(UTC)
Minok

United States   
FYI Markus, using dropbox for the images means some of us cannot see them - when we sit behind corportate firewalls, as the company block all access to such sites to ensure on critical data is leaked out by employees. Image sharing sites like imgur work more reliably, as one cannot upload documents the them thus they are allowed through firewalls. So I don't see any of the above 3 photos.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline Markus Schild  
#5 Posted : 01 March 2018 21:39:07(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Minok,

Thank you for the hint. I changed the hosting.

Regards

Markus
Offline Minok  
#6 Posted : 01 March 2018 22:30:31(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Awesome.. That works great! I now see the pictures.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 02 March 2018 13:53:13(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

We had this before, some years ago, as a quiz. What's wrong? The two-axle car comes from BING, Märklins biggest competitor in the 1920s. (1975, p 45)

1975-45.jpg

Regards

Markus

And here is me thinking the error is that that the S3/6 doesn't have a tender, I wonder where it carries its coal and water for the journey ... BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Markus Schild  
#8 Posted : 02 March 2018 22:51:02(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

I just came across another one: It is always bad when a model falls down before the photo is taken. It is worse when nobody is around who can repair it. Look at the 4243, especially at the couplers (Norway 1987):

norwegen1987 (Large).jpg

Regards

Markus
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 03 March 2018 09:16:02(UTC)
H0

Trix 22248 was a 2015 new item of BR 24.
Find the photo here:
https://www.trix.de/prod...pdb_pi1%5Bsearchres%5D=1

The steering is not correctly assembled. Nobody was there to fix it (loose one screw to do it), nobody thought of showing the other side of the loco (or was that side even worse?).
And it didn't get better: a few days later the loco was shown at Nuremberg, showing the same side with the same problem.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Markus Schild  
#10 Posted : 07 March 2018 20:56:50(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

Märklin - catalogues are always a good source for prototypical train - arrangements... .Crying

train-arrengement.jpg

1971 prospectus.

Regards

Markus
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild