Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline RonBisplinghoff  
#1 Posted : 28 February 2018 22:56:29(UTC)
RonBisplinghoff

United States   
Hi Folks,
What does a Mobile Station do when it hits its power limit? I have recently completed my layout and have two digital locos with lighted cars. When running one loco, my MS3 goes into a stop requiring a push on the stop button to restart the loco. The loco will run for ~15 seconds and then the MS goes back into a stop condition. Is the MS at its power limit or is there some other issue going on?
Thanks in advance!

Edited by moderator 03 March 2018 10:31:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 28 February 2018 23:36:18(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Have you tried removing all of the lighted cars and the other loco from the tracks to see if the same happens? Are your lighted cars lit with LEDs or old incandescent bulbs?
Offline RonBisplinghoff  
#3 Posted : 01 March 2018 00:58:36(UTC)
RonBisplinghoff

United States   
Great points!!
The cars have LEDs. I just ran down and tried your suggestion. The MS still goes into a stop mode. It is, however, more intermittent then before. My layout is 20 feet by 4 feet with 25 turnouts (lights and digital encoders). I'm powering the entire layout with one MS3 and its two small power and ground wires. I can certainly understand that the MS is at its max limit.

My long term plan is to use a CS.

The question is still: what does an MS do when it is at its power limit?

There were some references in other postings about MSs in a "stop/go" condition when loaded with multiple locos.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 01 March 2018 02:13:50(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Firstly, there is no such thing as the Mobile Station 3 - what you have is a black coloured Mobile Station 2, no other enhancements have been made it.

You say you are powering a 20 foot long layout with a MS2 and the 2 wires that come from the track box. I think that might be your problem, as you will experience voltage drop at the far end of your layout. You need to create a wiring bus for the red and brown wires so that you can connect feeder wires every 1.5 metres (approx 5 feet) to maintain voltage around your layout. Is the MS2 cutout happening when trains are at the far end of your layout?

Keep in mind that your 25 turnouts with lights and associated decoders will also be drawing some power.

The MS2 will go into stop mode when it is overloaded, but you can check how much loading it is under from one of the menus on the MS2. Maximum output is 1.9 amps.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline RonBisplinghoff  
#5 Posted : 01 March 2018 09:20:24(UTC)
RonBisplinghoff

United States   
Hi,
OK, fair point!

Let me rephrase my problem statement: Mobile Station P/N 60657 goes into stop mode when I run my locos.

Thank-you!
You answered my question:
What does an MS do when it reaches its power limit?
Answer: The MS goes into stop mode.

That is consistent with some other posts that I can find when searching for those key words.

Interesting enough, the trains are at various points of the layout not necessarily at the largest distance from the station when the stop mode phenomenon occurs. But I can imagine layout electrical resistance and power draw is somewhat dynamic based on a current layout configuration (flexing track connections, quantity of turnouts on that track branch, other trains drawing power, etc). If the MS is close to borderline max power then it could go into stop mode when a train is potentially at any point on the layout. That point should be repeatable if you can control the major contributors. Interestingly enough, I can say that is true in my case.
Offline Minok  
#6 Posted : 01 March 2018 21:51:02(UTC)
Minok

United States   
The stop mode is overload but also a short - so if you are driving near the current limit, a whole host of things could drive it over that defined limit setting that enables the stop mode.
It could be a turnout switching, a brief short spark as a loco traverses a turnout/switch with the slider, some function/power on the decoder activating (sound, smoke, etc).

If the voltage dropped due to distance from a single track feed I would expect the loco there to maybe run odd or get stuck, but not for the mobile station to go into stop mode. My suspicion is more that the overload/short condition is happening. But feeding power every yard or so is a key to reliable and even running over the whole layout.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Kanga  
#7 Posted : 03 March 2018 08:46:08(UTC)
Kanga

Australia   
I'd like to share my experience with the symptoms you describe. I came to the same conclusion after my MS2 exhibited the same when running a 37786 ICE3 and a 37796 TGV with all the lights on and a couple of locos idle on sidings on my simple double loop 8-by-4 (well 9 by 5 really). I have no problems now that I upgraded to a CS3 and the 60VA power supply. I have no accessories powered off the track supply, all my points are manual and I only feed into the track at a single point.

Karl
Offline Jabez  
#8 Posted : 04 March 2018 00:58:25(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: RonBisplinghoff Go to Quoted Post

My long term plan is to use a CS.

In the short term your best solution is to use a separate transformer to power those 25 turnouts and any other solenoid/light devices. This, in combination with the bus power feeders suggested here, should tide you over until you buy a CS.

I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline RonBisplinghoff  
#9 Posted : 05 June 2018 15:29:22(UTC)
RonBisplinghoff

United States   
Hi Folks,
Quick update on my MS2 power limit issue. Graduated to an CS3 and now can run all locos, lighted cars and turnouts without any issues.

Thanks for all your inputs and help!!!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RonBisplinghoff
Offline TEEWolf  
#10 Posted : 05 June 2018 17:51:39(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: RonBisplinghoff Go to Quoted Post
Hi Folks,
Quick update on my MS2 power limit issue. Graduated to an CS3 and now can run all locos, lighted cars and turnouts without any issues.

Thanks for all your inputs and help!!!

Welcome in the CS 3 club. Read here what will be next coming up to you for your CS 3

https://www.marklin-user...News---3-2018-now-online
post #342

And think about this book too:

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/03092/

I got both, a CS 3+ and this book (but in German). Both highly recommendable. This book gives you a new kick for your CS 3.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf