Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sjbartels  
#1 Posted : 23 February 2018 21:47:46(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Hi all

I have some old turn out switches (small lantern) that don’t function possibly. When hand switching them using the lantern you can hear them snapping, but the actual track doesn’t switch. Ive tried out swapping the spring with a new one, that hasn’t helped. If I invert the switch and try changing the direction with the lantern however, it does typically change. Is there something I can adjust? These switches were my grandfathers that did sit in my grandmothers garage for about 20 years until I was able to retrieve them, but they don’t appear to have any rust, and the solonoid is working just fine.

Suggestions welcome, I’d really like to use them again

Thanks
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
Offline analogmike  
#2 Posted : 23 February 2018 23:03:31(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Hello,
It sounds to me like there is dirt/rust in the pivot rivet. Do not attempt to dismantle or adjust. It must be clean and dry.
WD-40, Wiggle- Wiggle, Blast with compressed air, Repeat.

003.JPG

Another trouble spot is the tie on which the points slide back and forth on. I usually clean and polish this so there is no drag.

004.JPG

Mikey
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 24 February 2018 03:23:29(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: sjbartels Go to Quoted Post
Hi all

I have some old turn out switches (small lantern) that don’t function possibly. When hand switching them using the lantern you can hear them snapping, but the actual track doesn’t switch. Ive tried out swapping the spring with a new one, that hasn’t helped. If I invert the switch and try changing the direction with the lantern however, it does typically change. Is there something I can adjust? These switches were my grandfathers that did sit in my grandmothers garage for about 20 years until I was able to retrieve them, but they don’t appear to have any rust, and the solonoid is working just fine.

Suggestions welcome, I’d really like to use them again

Thanks

Hi Sancho,

As Mikey mentioned, the pivot stud must allow free movement but after this time quite possibly a small amount of surface rust in the pivot point and/or the underside of the blade (which cannot be seen but also referred to by Mikey) will cause friction and binding.

The fact they seem to work well inverted (ie upside down) indicates the blade contact surface rather than the stud.

You have a couple of choices, the WD40 suggestion, or CRC to clean the rust and to help I would slip a piece a paper or thin cotton strip say from an old hanky, shirt etc between the blade and the tracked so the surface rust has something to provide very mild cleaning abrasion.

Once you get it moving freely, you need a dry lubricant to protect going forward otherwise over time dust will settle, dust attracts moisture, and rust forms.

I have had success with both Teflon, and Graphite powder, the latter you can get from any locksmith, locks do NOT like oil, but love graphite. Makes a huge difference to any outdoor facing lock around the home, car door locks etc and... small mechanical parts like turnouts.

Teflon comes in many forms, Faller has it in a tube, I have also used it to free up sticky K-track contact tracks as per my article here...

https://www.marklin-user...aylayouts/0923/index.htm

Let us know how you go.
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline sjbartels  
#4 Posted : 24 February 2018 18:29:28(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Thank you both, all 6 are working perfectly now.

Upon much closer inspection, this time using my magnifier, I could see some rust around the pin, so lubricating it and the front portion, as Mikey shown, did resolve the problem.

Thank you both, another small step in getting my grandfathers layout completely operational. My goal is to use everything of his
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
Offline analogmike  
#5 Posted : 24 February 2018 23:18:07(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Originally Posted by: sjbartels Go to Quoted Post
Thank you both, all 6 are working perfectly now.

Upon much closer inspection, this time using my magnifier, I could see some rust around the pin, so lubricating it and the front portion, as Mikey shown, did resolve the problem.

Thank you both, another small step in getting my grandfathers layout completely operational. My goal is to use everything of his

I'm glad you fixed it. I used to get them going with oil too. But as cookee pointed out they must be dry lubricated because over time the oil will attract dust and gum them up.
Mikey
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by analogmike