Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline danmarklinman  
#1 Posted : 17 February 2018 20:05:49(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Has anyone got any of the latest Faller containers. I ask this, because I want to know if they fit the Marklin container flats? I have some Wiking containers, but they don’t fit and will need new lugs glueing on to allow them to fit.
It would be good if Marklin had a set of containers that you can swap when you like?
I understand the tank containers on Marklin wagons are Herpa, am I right??
Thanks Dan
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 18 February 2018 02:28:47(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Most of my Maerklin container cars are of the 47440 or 47070 type cars. Those cars all have sockets into which pins on the containers fit. Most of the containers are Herpa, but I think that some may have been AWM.
Most recently, I have had some issues with the Geest and Samskip Coolboxx containers from the 47051.005 and .006 models, as the pins don't seem to line up perfectly with the socket holes.

As far as swapping containers, I have ordered a few boxes of Herpa's 084192 adapter, which allows you to convert a 20ft container with sockets for use with Maerklin container cars. Each one fits under a 20 foot container and has pins on the top and bottom so that it fits into the container and into the sockets on the car body surface. The same adapters are included with some of the Maerklin cars (47051.XXX) with VandenBosch, Den Hartogh, and RMI tankcontainers.

I have also been able to use a pair of these adapters to mount a Fleischmann 40 foot container on one of the cars from my 47095 Cemat/MSC cars. The Fleischmann system has the pins on the car deck and has pins for three 20 foot container, meaning that the longer containers have to have additional sockets to sit properly on the car deck. This means that you can fit the Herpa adapter into those container sockets for use on Maerklin container cars.

Herpa, AWM and other containers usually have sockets on the container body.

The problem with having a car with pins on the deck is that you cannot sit a 40 foot container without having additional sockets to fit the shorter 20 foot spacing or without having folding pins (a la Kombimodell).
Roco's new 3 axle models also have folding pins, but the photos that I have seen seem to indicate that some models have the containers held by plastic bars that have tabs that hold the container in place rather than the more standard sockets and pins.

I think that Faller's are similar to Maerklin's as this allows for the easiest placement of containers. but am not 100% sure.
I guess that ordering one for a few Euros is not an expensive way to discover whether they are compatible or not.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline steventrain  
#3 Posted : 18 February 2018 11:42:23(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Faller 120290 Container bridge-crane do not included drive.

Drive kit including motors and control device available separately.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline danmarklinman  
#4 Posted : 18 February 2018 11:56:36(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Thanks Mike, I have those same tank containers and adapters from Herpa. I guess your right. I shall just have to take the plunge and get some adapters and a Faller container to see if it fits.
Going back to the Wiking container. These are very nice models which feature opening doors.
I would like to know what fallers new crane has to actually pick the containers up. The old Faller container lift I believe was a grab type. Making it possible to lift any container? Possibly?
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline Carim  
#5 Posted : 18 February 2018 14:19:31(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Hi Dan,

Have you thought of using a little blob of "blu tack" to hold the containers on?

Carim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim
Offline danmarklinman  
#6 Posted : 18 February 2018 16:11:33(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Carim Go to Quoted Post
Hi Dan,

Have you thought of using a little blob of "blu tack" to hold the containers on?

Carim

Yes, and even putting small brass doles into the containers. My thoughts were of swapping containers if I take the plunge and get the new faller crane?
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline Carim  
#7 Posted : 19 February 2018 00:52:35(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post
My thoughts were of swapping containers if I take the plunge and get the new faller crane?

Perhaps try Blu Tack "glu dots - removable" - might be a cheap and easy solution to your problem.

Carim

Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 19 February 2018 19:12:54(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The problem that I see is that if you pick a container of a car or from the ground and want to place it on a car, you will have to ensure that the car and the container have matching fixations.
I also think that Roco's design with a wider tongue that fits into a slot in the bottom of the container will not be easy to attach with a gantry crane.

In reality, the cars have folding pins that fit into sockets in the containers, but in model RR, the fixations are not always moveable, so the Maerklin design of having pins on the underside of the container and sockets on the car deck is the best solution, as having pins on the car deck requires containers to have multiple sockets so that different size containers can fit on a car deck which has pins for up to 3 20 foot containers.

A 60 foot sgns car should be able to hold 3 20 foot containers or 2 30 foot containers, a single 40 or 4 foot container or a combination of 1 40 foot and 1 20 foot container or a pair of tank or swap containers with a 20 foot footing.
Having fixed pins for all options as in the Fleischmann models may prevent use with other brands' containers

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#9 Posted : 19 February 2018 19:17:01(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The best solution would probably be for the manufacturers of HO scale containers to make them with removal bottoms that could be swapped out, so that you could replace the original fixations with the ones that suited your system.
This has been done, for example, with the Maerklin/Herpa SBB Postcontainer sets (47006/47731) and probably with other models. http://hag-info.ch/hag/f...x/557_pcw_maerklin_1.png

Regards

Mike C