Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline skeeterbuck  
#1 Posted : 11 February 2018 23:55:48(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
I just finished building a Faller 121 Tower kit. This in my opinion is one of the "Classic" Faller kits as it's rather common and been in the line on and off since the 50's. I have an original one that is a factory build one that I used as a guide. I wanted to closely copy the colors used on the original. I build a version from the late 60's/early 70's in the brown box so I wouldn't get any hate mail from the Faller Collectors. Laugh I didn't want to build an interior so I fogged the windows with some flat clear so you can't see inside. This version doesn't come with any window material so I added some Plastruct clear styrene. I also cut away any excess on the base with the exception of the stone paving at the front and side door.

As always, constructive criticism is always welcomed as I'm always looking to improve my work. The original is on the right in each pic.Thanks!
Chuck

[img]UserPostedImage[/img][img]UserPostedImage[/img][img]UserPostedImage[/img][img][img][img]UserPostedImage[/img]
thanks 19 users liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline Gleis3601  
#2 Posted : 24 March 2018 07:56:12(UTC)
Gleis3601

Germany   
Hello ,

very nice work .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Gleis3601
Offline Ranjit  
#3 Posted : 24 March 2018 08:54:19(UTC)
Ranjit

Superb! Keep up the good work.

I would be very interested in knowing the materials that you used for this work.

Cheers,
Ranjit
Modelling in HO Scale - Era III & IV. K+M Track, Analogue + Digital

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Offline skeeterbuck  
#4 Posted : 24 March 2018 16:09:11(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: Ranjit Go to Quoted Post
Superb! Keep up the good work.

I would be very interested in knowing the materials that you used for this work.

Cheers,
Ranjit

I use Tamiya acrylic paint to cover the basic building colors trying to closely copy the original plastic colors Faller used. I apply them with an inexpensive airbrush. I then use Tamiya and AK Interactive enamel washed to stain the building indicating where I would think that the grime would be washed down from the rain. I also do the same with a rust colored wash but to a much lesser extent. I them mist some very dark gray lightly overall to help blend the colors together and a little heavier in areas where soot would accumulate and the weather doesn't reach like under the eves of the roof and stairs. Finally I may lightly dry brush areas to help accent details depending on the effect I trying to obtain. Hope this helps!

Chuck

P.S. If you need further details just let me know!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline Ranjit  
#5 Posted : 24 March 2018 17:02:40(UTC)
Ranjit

Hey Chuck...

I was interested in the type of materials used for this project and not so much about how you went about painting the materials. I am sorry if my question wasn't clear.

Cheers,
Ranjit
Modelling in HO Scale - Era III & IV. K+M Track, Analogue + Digital

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney