Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Gautam199229  
#1 Posted : 10 February 2018 09:02:55(UTC)
Gautam199229

India   
Hey guys this is Gautam here.
The marklin digital system is completely new new to me.
I started with a marklin starter(br 216 loco)set a few months ago and after that the obsession has grown like a virus.

Now since i plan to make a large layout(signals, street lights, turntable, turnout decoders and turnout motor in each turnout - not using the m83 decoder, 2 or 3 trains running Simultaneously)
My questions are -

1) I have heard that i will need a marklin booster and its advisable to seperate the layout with two power sources. Is it true?
2) can i connect the mobile station 1 with a marklin booster if yes then how?
3) if i seperate my layout in two different power sections with isolation in between, what marklin items will i exactly need to power the two sections(item no)? I dnt plan on buying the CS for now.
Can u please help me with this
Thankyou
Offline CanadianKid  
#2 Posted : 10 February 2018 23:34:42(UTC)
CanadianKid

Canada   
Hi,
It all depends on how many trains your planning on running, and how much track you plan on having. 2-3 trains isn't too many, so with that you could probably just send booster wires to distribute the voltage to the farther reaches of the layout. To do this all you need to do is attach wires close to where your first connection is from the Mobile Station, and then attach the other end to a piece farther along the track. Although I don't know everything, I would probably put them every 2 or 2.5 metres of track. However in the future I would power all my accessories to a separate power pack.

I'm not sure about your section question, but I don't think that it's possible. Additionally as long as you isolate each booster, you can power your layout with many boosters.

Anyways maybe that helps somewhat.
Matthew
Offline applor  
#3 Posted : 11 February 2018 00:24:42(UTC)
applor

Australia   
If you are planning to build a large layout (ie. up to 10 or more trains running at a time) you still don't need booster sections, you just need to be smart in how you wire it:

* Use a CS2 or CS3 with 5amp power supply or an Ecos 2 with 7amp power supply and use it for running of trains only
* use seperate transformers for powering your accessories, ie one for your signals and turnouts and one for all your layout lights
* make sure you cable feeder tracks at least every meter to ensure no voltage drop across your tracks

If you have a large layout with a 3amp central station and don't want to power your accessories seperately then yes you will likely need booster(s)
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#4 Posted : 13 February 2018 06:13:32(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Hello Gautam,
During our last club meet in Bengaluru, this is what we had tested. We built 5 concentric interconnected ovals almost 15 ft in length powered by just one MS2. The trackage contained R1, R2..... R5. We ran 4 locos simultaneously without issues.
Currently I've built an 8 by 8 layout with 4 trains running in parallel. All powered by one MS2. I don't have any other electrical accessories like signals, interior lights or turnout motors. Other than the running 4 trains there are 4 engines in the yard area ready to run. So far no electrical issues like voltage dropout
How big is your layout? Have you created a track plan?
Regards,
Madhu
Offline gachar001  
#5 Posted : 06 March 2018 12:03:31(UTC)
gachar001

India   
Originally Posted by: madhu.gn.71 Go to Quoted Post
Hello Gautam,
During our last club meet in Bengaluru, this is what we had tested. We built 5 concentric interconnected ovals almost 15 ft in length powered by just one MS2. The trackage contained R1, R2..... R5. We ran 4 locos simultaneously without issues.
Currently I've built an 8 by 8 layout with 4 trains running in parallel. All powered by one MS2. I don't have any other electrical accessories like signals, interior lights or turnout motors. Other than the running 4 trains there are 4 engines in the yard area ready to run. So far no electrical issues like voltage dropout
How big is your layout? Have you created a track plan?
Regards,
Madhu

Hi Madhu,
Is there a Marklin club in India?
If so, can you please post the details?
I am into Marklin too.
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#6 Posted : 06 March 2018 12:43:09(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Sent a PM with details.
Offline petestra  
#7 Posted : 06 March 2018 15:27:13(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: Gautam199229 Go to Quoted Post
Hey guys this is Gautam here.
The marklin digital system is completely new new to me.
I started with a marklin starter(br 216 loco)set a few months ago and after that the obsession has grown like a virus.

Now since i plan to make a large layout(signals, street lights, turntable, turnout decoders and turnout motor in each turnout - not using the m83 decoder, 2 or 3 trains running Simultaneously)
My questions are -

1) I have heard that i will need a marklin booster and its advisable to seperate the layout with two power sources. Is it true?
2) can i connect the mobile station 1 with a marklin booster if yes then how?
3) if i seperate my layout in two different power sections with isolation in between, what marklin items will i exactly need to power the two sections(item no)? I dnt plan on buying the CS for now.
Can u please help me with this
Thankyou

Hello, Gautam. My layout I consider medium to fairly large (large L shaped, metric 335cm x 488cm x 244cm x 366cm x 122cm) I can run up to 8 trains

using CS3 and 2x MS2s. All accessories are connected to separate trafos and feeder lines I have every 8 sections of track or so. If you want to view it

I am on YouTube channel strafrag1. Cheers, Peter. Cool