Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline baggio  
#1 Posted : 27 January 2018 23:25:40(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hello, Everyone:

I am trying to re-assemble a simple circuit with a switch that allows current to be given or shut off to a parking side.

To do so, I cut ONE of the two ends of the rails of a track. I then put in a plastic divider on that rail and then I joined that track to the layout.

As a result, when a loco reaches the mutilated track, as soon as all wheels of the loco are on the mutilated track, the loco stops.

To make the loco go, obviously, I need to give power to the mutilated track

it appears that in order for the power to be restored, I need to feed the mutilated track BOTH the negative AND the positive "signal" (for lack of a better term).

This surprises me because I would have thought that I only needed to restore power to the broken rail of the mutilated track since, I thought the rail that was not cut should continue to carry the current "signal" as usual since that rail was not affected.

Questions:

1. Why do I need to give the mutilated track current on both rails to restore power?

2. Does cutting one of the rails automatically cut the current flow to the other rail as well? If so, why? (It is counter-intuitive, at least for me.)

I thank in advance anyone who can provide assistance. BigGrin

Silvano
Offline Brakeman  
#2 Posted : 27 January 2018 23:46:14(UTC)
Brakeman

United States   
Hi,
without knowing the brand of your turnouts, I bet they are "non power routing". See DCCWiki for different switch types and used circuits.
https://dccwiki.com/Turnout

Regards,
Juha
Offline Thewolf  
#3 Posted : 27 January 2018 23:47:21(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
Hello, Everyone:

I am trying to re-assemble a simple circuit with a switch that allows current to be given or shut off to a parking side.

To do so, I cut ONE of the two ends of the rails of a track. I then put in a plastic divider on that rail and then I joined that track to the layout.

As a result, when a loco reaches the mutilated track, as soon as all wheels of the loco are on the mutilated track, the loco stops.

To make the loco go, obviously, I need to give power to the mutilated track

it appears that in order for the power to be restored, I need to feed the mutilated track BOTH the negative AND the positive "signal" (for lack of a better term).

This surprises me because I would have thought that I only needed to restore power to the broken rail of the mutilated track since, I thought the rail that was not cut should continue to carry the current "signal" as usual since that rail was not affected.

Questions:

1. Why do I need to give the mutilated track current on both rails to restore power?

2. Does cutting one of the rails automatically cut the current flow to the other rail as well? If so, why? (It is counter-intuitive, at least for me.)

I thank in advance anyone who can provide assistance. BigGrin

Silvano

in short. to do the M84's job like Baggio, right?Cool

I'm kidding. It's a little joke, not mean for two cents.

Thewolf

Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline baggio  
#4 Posted : 27 January 2018 23:49:30(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hi, Juha:

I do not rely on the turnouts to shut off the power. The turnouts I use are Roco and they conduct power on both directions.

Thanks.
Offline PMPeter  
#5 Posted : 28 January 2018 00:16:58(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
If you are using standard 2 rail track with a DC power supply (not M flextrack) then 1 rail will be positive (+) and 1 rail will be negative (-). If you cut 1 rail, let's say the + rail, the loco will stop once all of the wheels have gone past the cut point. In order to get the loco moving again you would only need to restore the + through a toggle switch or other device that switches on the isolated track section. The - side is not affected.

Just make sure you bring the correct polarity through the switch. if by accident you brought the - side over through the toggle switch then the loco would not move since it would have - polarity on both rails.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline baggio  
#6 Posted : 28 January 2018 16:35:27(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Thank you you, Peter, for your succinct but very clear explanation. BigGrin ThumpUp

I did a thorough re-installation of the parking siding and realized that the colours of the wires was not consistent.

In addition, I also have a "splitter" that I use in conjunction with the switch (four switches in one little unit, actually).

The splitter has one input and ten outputs. Seeing all these outputs added to my confusion.

Now the whole system is - again - up and running. Most importantly, I can actually visualize what is happening to the current flow and this will help me in future (small) projects. ThumpUp

Thank you Juha as well for pointing out to me that there are turnouts without power; I did not know that. As far as I know, Roco does not make them - at least not in the line of Roco track I use.

(As for you, Wolf, I just do not understand the tech joke. Blushing )

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline Thewolf  
#7 Posted : 28 January 2018 17:32:24(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Ok Silvano Cool

I explain :

you wrote : '' I am trying to re-assemble a simple circuit with a switch that allows current to be given or shut off to a parking side.''

Allows current or shut off... this is not the job of the M84 ???...but since I do not know anything about it in 2 tracks ... I shot it as a joke

must be Belgian to understand the Belgian humor mixed with Quebecois humorTongue Tongue Tongue Woot Woot Woot RollEyes RollEyes Razz Razz
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital