Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ChrisWV10  
#1 Posted : 14 January 2018 13:22:56(UTC)
ChrisWV10

United Kingdom   
I’m all googled out and can’t find anything that mentions power routing for C track points so Apologies if I’m missing something obvious. Do Märklin C Track points route the power the way the point is set and hence isolate the other route? I think I’m going the carpet Bahn route initially and don’t want to have lots of wiring for divergent routes.

Thanks

Chris
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 14 January 2018 13:40:07(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: ChrisWV10 Go to Quoted Post
Do Märklin C Track points route the power the way the point is set and hence isolate the other route?
No. Neither do K track or M track turnouts.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline baggio  
#3 Posted : 14 January 2018 15:30:35(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
What do you have in mind that would require isolation of the other direction?

Also, are you using digital or analogue mode?

I ask this because there is usually more than one way to skin a cat so as to reach the desired objective if one way does not work.
Offline ChrisWV10  
#4 Posted : 14 January 2018 16:08:07(UTC)
ChrisWV10

United Kingdom   
Thanks both. Running digital and I was hoping they don’t switch power with routing to avoid having extra power feeds but couldn’t find any confirmation.

I know extra feeds are desirable to maintain good power but this won’t be a big layout.

Not having to faff about wiring isolated sections for reversing loops is another nail in the coffin of my small 2 rail setup.

Cheers
Chris

Offline michelvr  
#5 Posted : 14 January 2018 16:38:36(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
I’m all googled out and can’t find anything that mentions power routing for C track points so Apologies if I’m missing something obvious. Do Märklin C Track points route the power the way the point is set and hence isolate the other route? I think I’m going the carpet Bahn route initially and don’t want to have lots of wiring for divergent routes.

Thanks

Chris

Hello Chris,

This is a very good question.

Does Märklin C Track points route the power the way the point is set and hence isolate the other route?

Marklin C track points do not have that function.

Marklin C track points are powered at all times.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline baggio  
#6 Posted : 14 January 2018 23:40:56(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Not having to faff about wiring isolated sections for reversing loops is another nail in the coffin of my small 2 rail setup.

Hi, Chris:

Why is this important to you? Are you planning to run reverse loops in 3 rail?

Keep in mind that even in 3 rail if you run two digital trains one behind the other, they have to be very close to each other; otherwise, if the first train STARTS to exit the reverse loop before the second train is FINISHED entering the loop, the two trains will hit one another. Scared

You would need to do some wiring and install signals that would prevent this and may cost a fair bit of money or be constantly monitoring the two trains.

When I had more space for my layout, I used to enjoy having two digital trains run at quite a distance from each other on the same track with very little intervention by myself. It was quite relaxing. Of course, this was done without using reverse loops. Of course, you can do that in digital 2 rail as well if you have the space.

Offline kimballthurlow  
#7 Posted : 15 January 2018 00:53:24(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris,
An extra nice feature of the Maerklin C turnouts (points in UK) is you can run a train from the heel to the toe, against the switch blades.
This is because the blades are spring-loaded, and unlike 2 rail systems, there are no polarity issues with frogs or blades.
In fact I do not know of any 2 rail points that use this system apart from Trix C track.

For example, in your reversing loop, the turnouts can be left permanently so the train will always enter and leave the loop the same way.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline cookee_nz  
#8 Posted : 15 January 2018 02:31:42(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
What do you have in mind that would require isolation of the other direction?

Also, are you using digital or analogue mode?

I ask this because there is usually more than one way to skin a cat so as to reach the desired objective if one way does not work.

My reply has nothing to do with the question, other than to confirm....

WE DO NOT SKIN CATS IN THIS FORUM - THIS IS A CAT-FRIENDLY FORUM

CLEO MAY BE WATCHING AND WOULD BE MOST DISTRESSED AT THIS TERM

That is all ThumpUp
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline ChrisWV10  
#9 Posted : 15 January 2018 08:17:45(UTC)
ChrisWV10

United Kingdom   
Yes I’m thinking a 2 or 3 platform station with a single and out and back loop where the train comes back in on another platform and another leaves on the same line like this

——————\
————————— loop
——————/

Keep in mind that even in 3 rail if you run two digital trains one behind the other, they have to be very close to each other; otherwise, if the first train STARTS to exit the reverse loop before the second train is FINISHED entering the loop, the two trains will hit one another. Scared

Just 1 at a time (for now) but worth remembering!

Kimball, I didn’t know that! Thanks. I’m not good at electrickery so simplicity is a GOOD thing. BigGrin 3 rail seems to have all the advantages over 2.Odd that more people don’t use it given the frequent questions about wiring on other, less enlightened fora. I guess 1 factor in the UK at least is lack of British outline models and very low visibility in stores/dealers.
Cheers

Chris

PS Cats welcome!ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ChrisWV10
Offline PJMärklin  
#10 Posted : 15 January 2018 11:23:01(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

That is all ThumpUp

(No need to shout) Scared but heavens above forbid Cleo seeing that post. We need no cat distress on this forum.
Even my modelleisenbahn inspector (pictured below) recognises feline animal-rights compassion and agrees with this point !Smile

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline Minok  
#11 Posted : 15 January 2018 18:57:18(UTC)
Minok

United States   
As others have mentioned, the turnouts are fully powered on all branches all the time. Reverse loops are no problem due to the center rail, no polarity concerns.
As others mentioned, you can just leave the turnout in a single position and the train can run around and cut the turnout on its way back. I use this sort of setup for my dogbone Christmas layout that I set up on the floor every Christmas. I don't have to operate the switches at all. The train just cycles around the layout going back and forth across the long straight.

Capture.PNG

It sounds like your case, rather than a straight run from reverse loop to reverse loop, you plan on installing a station in the middle. Should work just fine.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline baggio  
#12 Posted : 15 January 2018 19:48:47(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
As others have mentioned, the turnouts are fully powered on all branches all the time. Reverse loops are no problem due to the center rail, no polarity concerns.
As others mentioned, you can just leave the turnout in a single position and the train can run around and cut the turnout on its way back. I use this sort of setup for my dogbone Christmas layout that I set up on the floor every Christmas. I don't have to operate the switches at all. The train just cycles around the layout going back and forth across the long straight.

Capture.PNG

It sounds like your case, rather than a straight run from reverse loop to reverse loop, you plan on installing a station in the middle. Should work just fine.

Hi, Minok:

All of the above is great, but only if you have one train running. The moment you run two trains one behind the other, that is when reverse loops can quickly become a major problem. I just wanted to reinforce this point.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline ChrisWV10  
#13 Posted : 15 January 2018 20:17:42(UTC)
ChrisWV10

United Kingdom   

That’s it exactly! ThumpUp
Offline Cleo  
#14 Posted : 15 January 2018 20:32:19(UTC)
Cleo

Me as a modz doz not like diz... Mad

Cleo.jpg
I am the serious cat
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Cleo
Offline Webmaster  
#15 Posted : 15 January 2018 20:40:37(UTC)
Webmaster

Seems like an offensive statement by one of the members especially aimed towards a moderator, thanks cookee_nz for reminding us about the basic friendly netiquette we practice... Smile BigGrin

Now, let's get back on topic! Wink
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline Minok  
#16 Posted : 15 January 2018 20:51:36(UTC)
Minok

United States   

Capture.PNG

Hi, Minok:

All of the above is great, but only if you have one train running. The moment you run two trains one behind the other, that is when reverse loops can quickly become a major problem. I just wanted to reinforce this point.

Absolutely. If he is going to install a station, then its critical that
  • he has the other trains parked in the station on platforms
  • or its going to the other side's reverse loop
  • or the reverse loop is large enough that two trains fits inside so the following train can enter into the loop and stop, before the one in the loop already is started to exit - now one is talking signally and control
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline baggio  
#17 Posted : 15 January 2018 20:52:28(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
Seems like an offensive statement by one of the members especially aimed towards a moderator, thanks cookee_nz for reminding us about the basic friendly netiquette we practice... Smile BigGrin

Confused Confused

Am I missing something here?

Obviously... Now, back to the topic... /Webmaster
Offline Minok  
#18 Posted : 15 January 2018 21:27:58(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post

Confused Confused

Am I missing something here?

Obviously... Now, back to the topic... /Webmaster

Dont worry Baggio, I don't know what they are on about either.Confused

Back to topic, please... /Webmaster
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline PMPeter  
#19 Posted : 15 January 2018 22:21:33(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I guess a common North American phrase that is used quite frequently in project work alternative discussions or construction alternative discussions has an offensive meaning in other countries. That is why Baggio, Minok and I do not understand what is happening here. I hear this phrase in the office on a daily basis so I too was surprised by the reaction, but certainly can respect it since we are a multi-national forum where something acceptable in one country is totally offensive in another.

Peter
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline kimballthurlow  
#20 Posted : 15 January 2018 22:59:53(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Now to introduce something really really offensive within the light of this topic.

I don't care about loops or their relationship to station tracks, but I regularly crash my trains..... Not deliberately...... it just happens.

So I from down-under do not understand the cogent warnings about this issue.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Purellum  
#21 Posted : 15 January 2018 23:24:11(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
I don't care about loops or their relationship to station tracks, but I regularly crash my trains

You're doing it right !! BigGrin

One of the Groups I follow on Facebook is called "Railroad fools" ( I can recommend it )

Apparently crashing trains or driving cars, trucks, tractors etc. in front of trains is very prototypical.

Per.

P.S: https://www.facebook.com/railroadfools/

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline cookee_nz  
#22 Posted : 18 January 2018 05:36:46(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post

That is all ThumpUp

(No need to shout) Scared but heavens above forbid Cleo seeing that post. We need no cat distress on this forum.
Even my modelleisenbahn inspector (pictured below) recognises feline animal-rights compassion and agrees with this point !Smile

Probably I can clarify for those who may be puzzled

1: I was not 'shouting', or at least, that was not my intent. The Bold Caps and large Font were all just for "exaggerated emphasis" with no anger implied or directed.

Imagine a burly Sergeant-Major berating a new recruit...

"YOU THERE, PRIVATE COOK"

"Yes Sergeant Major?"

"PRIVATE COOK, I HAVE NEVER SEEN SUCH A PITIFUL SACK OF SHIT EXCUSE FOR A REPRESENTATIVE OF THE ARMED FORCES AS YOU!"

"Yes Sergeant Major, Thank you very much Sir"

2: There is a largely unseen "behind the scenes" Moderator. She keeps to herself but she runs a tight ship and stands for no nonsense - NO NONSENSE !! Her name is Cleo. She also happens to be of Feline design, construction and disposition. That is to say, she is a Cat. She also belongs to Juhan, but really, as anyone who has a cat will already know, we really belong to them. We are their unpaid servants, and if we are really good, and feed them on demand, they may allow us to pat them, on their terms. With the claws always ready, should we ever dare cross the boundaries.

3: The term "...more than one way to skin a cat" is very common. I was not offended myself at all. I know it is a common expression, I have used it myself many times. My response was simply to inject a little humour on a dreary day. And on the off-chance Cleo was monitoring, might have scored myself some brownie points, curry favour with the boss and all that.

I trust this puts to rest any fears that I was singling anyone out, or that it was in any way an 'official warning'. Not in the slightest. Just a bit of fun, malarkey, fooling around etc etc.

Clear as mud?

Champion. I am so glad we had this little chat. BigGrin

Edited by user 18 January 2018 18:21:13(UTC)  | Reason: Typos

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline baggio  
#23 Posted : 18 January 2018 06:44:44(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
That is to say, she is a Cat.She also belongs to Juhan, but really, as anyone ho has a cat will already know, we really belong to them. We are their unpaid servants, and if we are really good, they may allow us to pat them, on their terms.With the claws always ready, should we ever dare cross the boundaries.

Some people may say that description fits how women see men; ask Oprah! LOL