Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#1 Posted : 13 January 2018 23:28:03(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
I've just been looking through the new items for this year, and most of the new locomotives feature the so-called "new generation" motor.

I expect there must be a few out there from last year's offerings, so I was wondering if there is a noticeable change in performance compared to the old style motors? Is the maximum speed a bit more realistic, and how is the slow speed running?

I'd be really interested to hear any observations.

All the best

Chris
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 14 January 2018 08:23:42(UTC)
H0

I have no own experience, but with many models it shows a motor with bell-shaped armature. That sounds good and I expect better slow-speed running.

You no longer replace brushes. now you replace the motor when the brushes are worn. This could be a disadvantage for people who run their trains intensively. But we have to wait for long-term experience.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Danlake  
#3 Posted : 14 January 2018 09:33:53(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
I was initially sceptic of the modern style can motors fitted in many locos these days.

But after having tried them in many Roco locos I must admit the driving performance is similiar with the older style Marklin 5 pole motors.

I actually prefers the can motors now as I find them much more quiet, which makes sound decoder much more powerful instead of hearing a “grinding gear” noise...

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 14 January 2018 10:33:08(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post
But after having tried them in many Roco locos I must admit the driving performance is similiar with the older style Marklin 5 pole motors.
I assume you noticed we are discussing Z gauge here. Well, at least I am.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Danlake  
#5 Posted : 14 January 2018 20:08:05(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Ups - sorry

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline Zme  
#6 Posted : 17 January 2018 01:49:59(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello everyone

If you are not aware of Z Trains Weekly, you ought to be checking out their informative articles. Recently, an article targeted the new motors and here is a link to the story.

http://ztrainsweekly.com...y/new-technologies-in-z/

Also, there was a recent Youtube highlighting the new motor in a z scale Railbus. It is possible, this video actually shows operation which someone did DIY.

I am not aware that the new motor has been released for the new Railbus 88166. Perhaps this model will be released sometime later this year. From the Youtube, it seems the operation of the motor is quiet and smooth, perhaps this is what we have to look forward to. I know a few other locos with the new motor has been released and look pretty good, but time will tell.

Here is the story

Dwight
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#7 Posted : 17 January 2018 21:52:18(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Thanks very much for that - that's really helpful!

All the best

Chris
Offline strummer  
#8 Posted : 20 January 2018 18:47:50(UTC)
strummer

United States   
Originally Posted by: d_landen@yahoo.com Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone

If you are not aware of Z Trains Weekly, you ought to be checking out their informative articles. Recently, an article targeted the new motors and here is a link to the story.

http://ztrainsweekly.com...y/new-technologies-in-z/

Dwight

That is an interesting read; thanks for posting it.

I have to say, however, that even though the performance may be enhanced (and that is a very good thing), the improved valve gear feature seems lost by that new motor that looks like it sticks out even further (judging by the comparison photo) than the older issue. While this may not really be an issue for some, it almost seems like a trade off.

Perhaps the next "new generation" motor will be a bit shorter...I know I'm splitting hairs here, but what the heck...Smile

Mark in Oregon

Offline Poor Skeleton  
#9 Posted : 21 January 2018 15:27:23(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: strummer Go to Quoted Post
I have to say, however, that even though the performance may be enhanced (and that is a very good thing), the improved valve gear feature seems lost by that new motor that looks like it sticks out even further (judging by the comparison photo) than the older issue. While this may not really be an issue for some, it almost seems like a trade off.

I'm absolutely in agreement with you Mark, the new motor has really done nothing for the appearance of that model. However, I see the new motor is also destined for a new V200 and a BR 064 tank loco (both of which are on this year's shopping list) so it seems it need not spoil the look of a model.

Really looking forward to these new items and, I hope, improved slow speed running.

All the best

Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton