Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jimwallace1652  
#1 Posted : 12 January 2018 16:53:26(UTC)
jimwallace1652

United States   
I received my 2017 Marklin catalog about a year ago and noticed an item I liked.
I ordered the Royal Bavarian Baggage Car #43989 from my local dealer in Feb 2017.
Since then nothing. I have checked the product release PDF documents a number of times over the past year or so and the product seems to keep getting delayed.

Any one have any idea what is going on?

Jim
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 12 January 2018 17:06:08(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: jimwallace1652 Go to Quoted Post
Any one have any idea what is going on?
Märklin always do that for some items. And they don't explain why.

The first batches of item 43989 have already been shipped (but maybe that refers to the 2015 new item). Depending on the size of the production run it may take weeks or months until all pre-orders are fulfilled.

I'm still waiting for an item that was initially announced for Q2/2017. Not they announce it for Q1/2018. But maybe that is not the last word.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline jimwallace1652  
#3 Posted : 12 January 2018 17:12:44(UTC)
jimwallace1652

United States   
Tom:
Thank you.
Seems to me that would be good customer service if Marklin provided updates and a reason for delay.

Regards,

Jim
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 12 January 2018 17:20:27(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: jimwallace1652 Go to Quoted Post
Seems to me that would be good customer service if Marklin provided updates and a reason for delay.
Would be nice. But I saw items that were delayed for more than 12 months without any explanation.

The January list should give the month for items that are now listed as Q1/2018.
Our cars will come sooner or later - and most likely this year. Wink
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Minok  
#5 Posted : 12 January 2018 20:34:04(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I can imagine that for a company it only makes financial sense to do a production run in a minimum batch size to ensure it is a profitable endeavor. If the number of orders plus some estimated future sales is less than the minimum profit return batch size, the company would likely not produce anything until (and if) there are enough orders from dealers.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline dickinsonj  
#6 Posted : 13 January 2018 02:25:34(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Would be nice. But I saw items that were delayed for more than 12 months without any explanation.

The January list should give the month for items that are now listed as Q1/2018.
Our cars will come sooner or later - and most likely this year. Wink

I am in the same situation as Tom.

I have items which have been or order for over 12 months. Even though they were initially supposed to have been built in 2017, they are now listed as 2018 items but without a build month.

I have my Insider 103 loco but not my Parsifal coach set and I have no idea when I might get that. I do think that we will all eventually get the things that we have on order, but Märklin's production schedules are more behind than usual right now it seems.

I have an exceptional amount of Märklin equipment on order at the moment and I have not gotten anything except the Insider 103 in months now, so here is hoping that things improve soon. I guess this is their way of saving me some of my hard earned money. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 13 January 2018 08:31:33(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
[...] but Märklin's production schedules are more behind than usual right now it seems.
I think it was worse a few years ago. Sometimes you pick the "right" items and do not notice the massive delays, sometimes you pick the "wrong" items and experience the dreaded salami tactic with the expected delivery dates: Year after year you read that the items can be expected in the next quarter ... Flapper

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline dickinsonj  
#8 Posted : 13 January 2018 13:33:23(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
I think it was worse a few years ago. Sometimes you pick the "right" items and do not notice the massive delays, sometimes you pick the "wrong" items and experience the dreaded salami tactic with the expected delivery dates: Year after year you read that the items can be expected in the next quarter ...

That makes sense and I have obviously picked the "wrong" items to order over the last year or so. At least Märklin has finally found a way to help me to not buy so much of their stuff. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 13 January 2018 20:17:04(UTC)
H0

While we're at it: the article I'm waiting for is now listed as Q2/2018. Not long ago it was Q1/2018. Last year the list showed May 2017.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline franciscohg  
#10 Posted : 13 January 2018 21:53:23(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
ohhhhh, but to be fair that is not only a Marklin problem, i have a couple of Brawas 2017 new items, now marked as Q1 2018, also had serious delays with some Roco ones. In the end it does not bother me to wait, real problem was when a lot of items came together in one shipment...
regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline Webmaster  
#11 Posted : 13 January 2018 22:11:26(UTC)
Webmaster

Finally got the BR94 in DRG version this week, was ordered about a year ago...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline PhillipL  
#12 Posted : 13 January 2018 22:11:38(UTC)
PhillipL

United States   
Yep, ROCO is famous for this practice as well, I have had a locomotive on back order for 11 months. They released a few and then quickly marked it as "not available" needless to say none found their way to my dealer. Beats me what happened. At least my pre-order did not require a deposit!
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 14 January 2018 08:16:30(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: PhillipL Go to Quoted Post
Yep, ROCO is famous for this practice as well, I have had a locomotive on back order for 11 months.
In my experience Roco is not as bad as Märklin, once they announced a date.
The Roco BR 85 was in the new items brochure year after year until they finally really started making it.

Piko is the big exception: they deliver most items on time.
They run their own factory in China and have full control when an item will be produced. Some companies are at the mercy of their sub-contractors and do not have full control over the delivery dates ...
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline PhillipL  
#14 Posted : 14 January 2018 16:03:15(UTC)
PhillipL

United States   
I did read that ROCO was searching for cheaper subcontractors, the last thing I read was that they relocated some production to Vietnam.
Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 14 January 2018 16:39:45(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: PhillipL Go to Quoted Post
the last thing I read was that they relocated some production to Vietnam.
Roco withdrew from China (at least they say so - and I assume this applies to rolling stock only). They have their own facility in Vietnam, so they have full control there.
But still the expected delivery dates get pushed by weeks and months.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline David Dewar  
#16 Posted : 14 January 2018 16:52:40(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I'm probably different as I only buy items that are in stock at my dealer. Never had a problem waiting for something to become available although I expect there is a chance all will be pre sold. I don't believe in paying in advance or leaving deposits. I think my dealer will let me know when something is in stock and is available.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline franciscohg  
#17 Posted : 14 January 2018 17:14:08(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Usually i make pre orders at dealers in Germany and USA, never had to pay in advance or made any deposit. They make the charges when items are shipped to me.
regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline dickinsonj  
#18 Posted : 15 January 2018 01:25:09(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
Usually i make pre orders at dealers in Germany and USA, never had to pay in advance or made any deposit. They make the charges when items are shipped to me.

That is my situation also.

I would like to get the Insider coach set for the 103 though and I am a little surprised that they are taking so long to fulfill an Insider order. I usually don't mind waiting because I have lots of other trains to run while I wait. Cool
Regards,
Jim

Offline David Dewar  
#19 Posted : 15 January 2018 12:48:16(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
regards

My own dealer is the same. I just prefer to order when in stock and have not missed out on anything so far.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.