Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline petestra  
#1 Posted : 12 January 2018 13:53:02(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi. I am a bit confused. Hopefully some of you may help? The new signal line which has just appeared in the new items for 2018 listing with

numbers 70393 etc show operation as FX and MFX. Does this mean that they will operate with circuit tracks without the use of the S88 decoder

and/or link decoder? Thanks, Peter. Confused

Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 12 January 2018 16:40:42(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: petestra Go to Quoted Post
Hi. I am a bit confused. Hopefully some of you may help? The new signal line which has just appeared in the new items for 2018 listing with

numbers 70393 etc show operation as FX and MFX. Does this mean that they will operate with circuit tracks without the use of the S88 decoder

Hi Peter,

I am confused too: what is the difference the previous generation of signals dating one or 2 years back?
Reading the 2018 news catalogue, the influence on trains is through a relay and insulated track section. Bizarre bizarre
Is it a marketing trick to attrack attention to the signals introduced 2-3 years ago?

Cheers

Jean
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 12 January 2018 16:48:29(UTC)
H0

Difficult to say where the differences between 70391 and 70393 are coz there is no manual for the 70393 yet.
Maybe 70393 is basically the same, but with a "better" decoder.
Time will tell - e.g. when the manual for 70393 appears.

70391 was a 2013 new item - and the texts in the new items brochures look basically the same to me.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline petestra  
#4 Posted : 12 January 2018 17:48:23(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post

Hi Peter,

I am confused too: what is the difference the previous generation of signals dating one or 2 years back?
Reading the 2018 news catalogue, the influence on trains is through a relay and insulated track section. Bizarre bizarre
Is it a marketing trick to attrack attention to the signals introduced 2-3 years ago?

Cheers

Jean

Hello, Jean.

The first generation of the new signals, numbers 763**s, worked with circuit tracks without S88 decoders or links . I have many of these as I bought them

for my new layout which I began to build in 2009. Then these were discontinued unfortunately. They were replaced with 764**/704** which need a S88 decoder/links to

work with circuit tracks. I will have to "wait and see" as Tom states below. I would imagine that if these new 703** signals worked without an S88 decoder and/or link

they would have stated this in the new items brochure but who knows? I was intrigued and confused by the FX MFX notations. Cheers, Peter.
Offline mike187  
#5 Posted : 12 January 2018 21:11:11(UTC)
mike187

United States   
Hello:

I think the only difference with these signals is that they are gray colored masts instead of green.

Regards, Paul
Offline petestra  
#6 Posted : 12 January 2018 21:32:51(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: mike187 Go to Quoted Post
Hello:

I think the only difference with these signals is that they are gray colored masts instead of green.

Regards, Paul

Then why the FX MFX? Thanks for your input, Paul.

Cheers,Peter.

Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 12 January 2018 22:20:39(UTC)
H0

Then why the FX MFX?
Maybe those symbols are missing on the 70391 signal?
Those older signals also support MM and DCC beside mfx.

FX applies to locos and IMHO makes no sense for signals - unless the new decoders also support loco addresses like some Viessmann decoders do.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline petestra  
#8 Posted : 12 January 2018 23:49:30(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Then why the FX MFX?

FX applies to locos and IMHO makes no sense for signals - unless the new decoders also support loco addresses like some Viessmann decoders do.

Thanks, Tom. A question for Maerklin then. I'm off to DE next week so if I find anything out I will post their answer. Cheers, Peter.

Offline Goofy  
#9 Posted : 13 January 2018 10:55:09(UTC)
Goofy

I think it´s same signals like before.
The only difference are color on the masts.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline TEEWolf  
#10 Posted : 15 January 2018 21:15:04(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

As Maerklin wrote, they are indeed technically identic. As @mike187 wrote already, the only difference is the colour: one are grey, the others are green.

Many customers should have asked for the grey colour. Huh
Is here somebody who asked Maerklin for grey signal colours?Blink BigGrin

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Piper  
#11 Posted : 16 January 2018 07:08:22(UTC)
Piper

South Africa   

Here is a picture of the real McCoy 1:1 scale:
BigGrin
UserPostedImage

Pieter
Era I-V / HO / C-Track / MS2, CS2 & CS3 Z gauge. Insider
Member of Märklin Modellers Group
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Piper
Offline Goofy  
#12 Posted : 16 January 2018 09:17:04(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

As Maerklin wrote, they are indeed technically identic. As @mike187 wrote already, the only difference is the colour: one are grey, the others are green.

Many customers should have asked for the grey colour. Huh
Is here somebody who asked Maerklin for grey signal colours?Blink BigGrin

The old semaphore was in light green.
The new are oliv green which are darker this time now.

H0
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#13 Posted : 17 January 2018 20:09:20(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
Then why the FX MFX?

fx is the same as MM protocol. These signals support both MM and DCC accessory address, and are also programmable by mfx for Central Station users.

K-G / H0 and Z model train user
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kgsjoqvist
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 17 January 2018 20:40:22(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kgsjoqvist Go to Quoted Post
fx is the same as MM protocol.
The product database shows this text beside the fx symbol:
Quote:
Digital decoder with additional, digitally controlled functions (f1, f2, f3 or f4) when operated with the 6021 Control Unit. The functions present depend on how the locomotive is equipped. Standard function (function) active during conventional operation.

So about zero sentences of this explanation make sense for an accessories decoder. Unless they do like Viessmann and support loco addresses for accessories.

They also have a more appropriate symbol for MM devices with the following text: "Digital locomotives or digital device for the Märklin Digital System (Motorola format)."
I'd be less confused if they had used that symbol instead.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline TEEWolf  
#15 Posted : 17 January 2018 21:28:04(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Piper Go to Quoted Post

BigGrin
UserPostedImage

Pieter

This was not a Piper air crashConfused , but a signal crashHuh. Your picture shows a light signal, we discuss here a semaphore signal. BigGrin.

Anyway, today I saw an article about new Viessmann digtial semaphore signals. Vie Art #4700 to #4702.
http://www.viessmann-mod...67a75c&keywords=4700
or
http://www.viessmann-mod...21_Formsignale%20H0.html
Offline TEEWolf  
#16 Posted : 17 January 2018 21:30:57(UTC)
TEEWolf

The old semaphore was in light green.
The new are oliv green which are darker this time now.

Maerklin wrote me, that the green one will be still availbale. They now have added only signals in grey colour, because of customers wishes. Technically are both identical.

Offline Piper  
#17 Posted : 17 January 2018 23:26:48(UTC)
Piper

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

BigGrin
UserPostedImage

Pieter

This was not a Piper air crashConfused , but a signal crashHuh. Your picture shows a light signal, we discuss here a semaphore signal. BigGrin.

Anyway, today I saw an article about new Viessmann digtial semaphore signals. Vie Art #4700 to #4702.
http://www.viessmann-mod...67a75c&keywords=4700
or
http://www.viessmann-mod...21_Formsignale%20H0.html

O, my apology or is this comment a howling disaster. To me it seems the discusion was about the mast color. LOL
Era I-V / HO / C-Track / MS2, CS2 & CS3 Z gauge. Insider
Member of Märklin Modellers Group
Offline TEEWolf  
#18 Posted : 18 January 2018 03:57:45(UTC)
TEEWolf

O, my apology or is this comment a howling disaster. To me it seems the discusion was about the mast color. LOL

Yes, you are right, but never underestimate the burocracy in Germany and the correctness of some collectors. Laugh It never can be detailed enough.

I found a very thick book about signals for the German DB. Please do not blame me to search it again, but I rember that they had not defined a colour for the screws in there.Laugh And it surprised me.
Offline H0  
#19 Posted : 18 January 2018 08:08:42(UTC)
H0

fx is a special flavour of the MM protocol. fx is an extension of the MM protocol used for locomotives.
So far Märklin never used the fx protocol for accessories. Accessory decoders existed long before the fx protocol extension.
If it is true that those new signals are technically identical to the previous signals then the fx symbol is simply wrong. With Märklin we see the same level of quality (assurance) with all their product, including the new items brochure and the product database. Wink
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline MaerklinLife  
#20 Posted : 18 January 2018 13:54:51(UTC)
MaerklinLife

With Märklin we see the same level of quality (assurance) with all their product, including the new items brochure and the product database.

I don't see why using the fx logo is a problem when all it tells you is: Motorola protocol. That is all you need to know.

I bet you they use the symbol to avoid confusing techno babble and to please the 95% of users who does not understand the difference anyway.

Perfectly fine IMO.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#21 Posted : 19 January 2018 19:57:30(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
fx is a special flavour of the MM protocol. fx is an extension of the MM protocol used for locomotives.

No, fx is just another name for MM. Not an extension, since the 4 loco functions etc were already there before ”fx” logo started appearing.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kgsjoqvist
Offline H0  
#22 Posted : 19 January 2018 20:06:43(UTC)
H0

No, fx is just another name for MM. Not an extension, since the 4 loco functions etc were already there before ”fx” logo started appearing.
Can you give some ref. numbers as examples?

Before fx decoders there were four functions with function decoders, but locos only had one function. Funny side node: Those early fx function decoders cannot be controlled with the MS1, because function decoder "fx" is a different protocol from loco decoder "fx".
The fx decoders brought five functions for locos with a single decoder.

fx is just another name for MM2 with five functions per loco while MM1 only has one function per loco.
AFAIK there is only one version of the MM protocol for accessories with four accessories per decoder address. The fx logo makes no sense for items that use the accessory protocol.

Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post
I don't see why using the fx logo is a problem when all it tells you is: Motorola protocol. That is all you need to know.
If you do not see anything in the text for the fx symbol that does not make sense for signals then it is fine for me.
Why don't they use the symbol for MM decoders?

The product database shows this text beside the fx symbol:
Quote:
Digital decoder with additional, digitally controlled functions (f1, f2, f3 or f4) when operated with the 6021 Control Unit. The functions present depend on how the locomotive is equipped. Standard function (function) active during conventional operation.
Where are the buttons f1 through f4 for signals? What do they do?
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline MaerklinLife  
#23 Posted : 20 January 2018 02:45:31(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Where are the buttons f1 through f4 for signals? What do they do?

You can say the same thing for the mfx logo. It says 32 functions. I agree that it is not perfectly well chosen words, but I also agree with others: fx is just a common denominator for everything Motorola.

IMO it may be that there are some technical reason for the MM accessory protocol to differ from the locomotive protocol, but who in the world needs to know that when every single Motorola aware controller knows how to deal with this, without the user having to specifically select a specific version of the protocol?

Fx simply tells me that the Motorola protocol is in play. Introducing a third logo to explain that for accessories would simply complicate things for most users where no further complexity is necessary.

What they could do was to, once and for all, align the use of "fx" with the CSx and the MS2 and call it "fx" because in these controllers it is called MM or MM2 depending on where you look. That annoys me more, although I know what it means.
Offline H0  
#24 Posted : 20 January 2018 08:54:03(UTC)
H0

I agree that it is not perfectly well chosen words, but I also agree with others: fx is just a common denominator for everything Motorola.
You are entitled to your own opinion, but technically this is not correct.
There are four flavours of the MM protocol and "fx" is only one of them.
Märklin have different symbols for MM and "fx" and they just have to use them appropriately.

Some locos have acceleration and braking delay, but without "fx" you cannot disable this delay. Those locos do not have the "fx" symbol and it would be misleading if they had.
One example: 37641 was in the catalogue until 2003/2004.

The famous dome car 4999 does not have "fx" either, but it supports F1 through F4. Because it does not have "fx", it cannot be used with the Mobile Station. So differentiation between "fx" and pre-fx is also important with this item.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#25 Posted : 20 January 2018 08:55:54(UTC)
H0

Accidental double post.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline MaerklinLife  
#26 Posted : 20 January 2018 09:33:07(UTC)
MaerklinLife

You are entitled to your own opinion, but technically this is not correct.

One could also argue that since the MM2 (fx) protocol is a newer version of MM, it too contains the means for controlling accessories, which makes it perfectly fine to refer to it as "fx" when talking about accessories.

What will a customer gain from getting the "Tom approved information"? What additional, and necessary, information will it give me that the fx-logo does not? When talking about accessories that is.

Looking from the perspective of "Otto Modellbahner" "fx" is enough information. Yes, MM does not really have a name other than Märklin Motorola. Yes, the newer version, MM2 is referred to as "fx". I think Märklin uses the fx logo to keep things simple.
Offline H0  
#27 Posted : 20 January 2018 09:52:57(UTC)
H0

I think Märklin uses the fx logo to keep things simple.
I think they use the "fx" symbol because they do not pay attention to details. Let's agree to disagree.
If both series of signals are technically the same, why not use the same symbols for both of them?

What additional, and necessary, information will it give me that the fx-logo does not?
The "fx" symbol is meaningful as long as it is applied to "fx" items only.
If they now start using the "fx" symbol also for non-fx items, the "fx" logo becomes meaningless as it stands for "MM protocol with or without fx".
The term Mallet became meaningless because many people call the "Big Boy" a Mallet loco.
MM is just a form of digital command control. mfx is just a form of digital command control.
Let's scrape the symbols for MM, fx and mfx and call everything DCC. Everything will be so simple and clear.
What's gained by having four different symbols for digital command control?
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline MaerklinLife  
#28 Posted : 20 January 2018 11:11:07(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Let's scrape the symbols for MM, fx and mfx and call everything DCC. Everything will be so simple and clear.
What's gained by having four different symbols for digital command control?

Now, that does not make any sense as DCC and fx is not compatible. But of course you know that and now you are just being silly.

I'm out. Smile
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#29 Posted : 20 January 2018 15:07:48(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
The term ”fx” was introduced at the same time as mfx. But MM2 protocol had been used man years before. It was first used for programmable non-mfx locos. Just like when you buy a computer program it has a label with ”Windows” or ”MacOS” the MRR accessories have a label fx (MM), mfx or DCC which helps you find something that works on your system. Even if the operating systems just like the digital controllers come in different flavours...
Offline H0  
#30 Posted : 21 January 2018 09:32:19(UTC)
H0

The term ”fx” was introduced at the same time as mfx.
Fake news. Or "alternaïve facts" as we say nowadays.
The "fx" symbol was already used in the 1999/2000 yearbook. A few years after the introduction of the 60901 decoder set, but several years before the announcement of mfx.

But MM2 protocol had been used man years before.
How many?

It was first used for programmable non-mfx locos.
It was first used with the 60901 decoder - and that decoder still had DIP switches. Märklin used the first programmable fx decoders in 2004 AFAIK.

Just like when you buy a computer program it has a label with ”Windows” or ”MacOS” the MRR accessories have a label fx (MM), mfx or DCC which helps you find something that works on your system.
Märklin have different symbols for MM and fx. fx is part of the MM family.
In Latin it is called "pars pro toto". Many Germans say "Holland" to refer to the Netherlands and say "England" to refer to the UK or even GB.
In a similar way one can say "fx" to refer to the non-fx MM protocol for accessories. That's like using "Windows Phone" to describe a desktop PC.

With MRR the label "AC" is often used for "three-rail" and "DC" for "two-rail". And a lot of confusion is caused by those labels. Why increase possible misunderstandings by using "fx" for "non-fx" items?

Now, that does not make any sense as DCC and fx is not compatible.
"fx" is one form of "digital command control". It is not compatible with "NMRA DCC", but still it is "digital command control". You advocated for using "fx" in a broad and inaccurate way, so why not use DCC in a more generalised way?
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#31 Posted : 21 January 2018 14:03:17(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Now, that does not make any sense as DCC and fx is not compatible.
"fx" is one form of "digital command control". It is not compatible with "NMRA DCC", but still it is "digital command control". You advocated for using "fx" in a broad and inaccurate way, so why not use DCC in a more generalised way?

Do remember that "DCC" is a registered trademark of the NMRA, and cannot be used to describe any other non-compatible system, hence it cannot be applied to 'fx' devices. It is OK though to spell out "digital command control" as Tom has done for other systems.

Offline Goofy  
#32 Posted : 21 January 2018 14:31:14(UTC)
Goofy

fx is an symbol for up to four functions but still it´s an MM protocol.
It´s the old format.
Today we have MM2 which are protocol but works like electronic program.
H0
Offline H0  
#33 Posted : 21 January 2018 17:05:59(UTC)
H0

fx is an symbol for up to four functions but still it´s an MM protocol.
It´s the old format.
Today we have MM2 which are protocol but works like electronic program.
You are one of the best digital experts we have on this forum.
But do not forget that "fx" is a synonym for MM2. "fx" is the new format, not the old format.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage