Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jbblunck  
#1 Posted : 03 January 2018 21:04:06(UTC)
jbblunck

United States   
This will be a digital, C-track layout. I'm building a 15x20 foot oval with a single track except for a second track along one of the the 20' sides. Approximately 90 feet of track total. Six switches. Three or four decouplers. Four to six signals. Everything will be controlled digitally. I'll be running no more than two locomotives at the same time. These will be digitally upgraded Marklin locomotives from the late 50s/early 60s: one a 4-6-2 with smoke, the second a 3021 diesel. Signals should stop the locomotives when necessary. There won't be any other layout accessorizing, though passenger cars may be lit internally.

I'm new to the digital way of things. My Marklin Super transformer gave up the ghost long ago.

Will this be the right complement of control and power hardware:

-- 60657 Mobile Station
-- 60116 Digital Connector Box
-- 60065 50VA switched mode power pack for 120 volts
-- appropriate turnouts with decoders
-- appropriate signals with decoders
-- 60842 m84 Decoder (don't really understand what this does)

Does power/data enter the track through one feeder point? Or is there additional wiring to additional feeder points? Does this require more boxes that need direct power?

This will be a tricky installation -- I won't be able to easily get to wiring after the layout is complete.

Anything else? Remember I know nothing about this other than what I'm gleaning from the Marklin catalog. I don't see a need for a Central Station.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 03 January 2018 22:11:51(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Will the two trains run in the same direction? or will they run in opposite directions and pass on the 20' siding? This may be important when considering the signal wiring because you may need trains to run in the opposite direction across track that a red signal has made 'dead' in the other direction.

Generally, I do not advise signals controlling digital trains. Reason: you end up mixing analog control (switching power off) and digital control (power always on so functions etc continue to work). But I think you are not building a prototypical looking realistic layout right?

I don't have C track myself so I am nor sure how badly power is lost over long lengths. I normally feed power in every 180cm because that is the length of two lengths of 22-5 flex K-track, so i would plan for 2 to 4 power feed points. Extra power feeds are relatively cheap to implement (solder the wires to the underside of the track, no additional 'fancy' (stupid) connector boxes needed).

Do you plan on running the trains manually from the controller? (i.e. running the diesel at one speed and the steamer at another)

What do you want the signals to do?
Prototypically, signals only indicate when train may, or may not, proceed. They do not make the train go or tell the driver they s/he should go - that is controlled by the schedule. Trains often stop in front of green signals in stations. Signals also do not control trains in real life.

If you want the signals to make trains run or stop, are you OK with them accelerating to full speed or stopping at whiplash decelerations?
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline jbblunck  
#3 Posted : 03 January 2018 22:54:21(UTC)
jbblunck

United States   
Ah, good questions. Mixing analog and digital is likely a pain, so no active signals. In fact, therefore, no signals at all. Easy peasy.

What is connected to the extra power feeds? More boxes? Or do the leads go back to home base?

Trains will run independently as Mobile Station appears to be able to control two at once. Yes?

Offline DaleSchultz  
#4 Posted : 04 January 2018 00:30:05(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
signals can be placed, but they are cosmetic and add a lot of interest....

Just run the power leads back to base. Use thick wire.

Yes, trains can run independently, but you declared a single track, so, if you run them both in the same direction you can modulate their speeds and run both at the same time.
If you run one the 'other' way you can have them pass on the siding and thus take turns.

If you want simplicity, you can leave the turnouts at both end set to 'right' which will let the trains in on the right hand track and you can run the trains out against the switch. This will mean you never have to switch turnouts, and no need for M83 nor M84 modules.
Dale
Offline Br01  
#5 Posted : 04 January 2018 00:59:36(UTC)
Br01

Portugal   
Hi,
Some quick thoughts:
1) you have to think why do you want all digital. Is it for having automated control? Or do you want to drive the 2 trains?

If the first option you may want to consider a central station or equivalent as it allows you to program events like departing trains, change turnouts, etc.

If you want to drive only 2 trains then you may not need to have digital turnouts - you can turn them by hand (Manual) or remotely with a electrical controller. You can also add a second mobile station with a cable if you need 2 controls simultaneous. Mobile station can only control 1 train at once, you need to keep changing trains to control more than one.

You can also use cheap marklin signals with m84 than can control the track power or not. It adds a lot the layout imho.

Regards
John
Offline jbblunck  
#6 Posted : 04 January 2018 01:15:43(UTC)
jbblunck

United States   
Dale:

The long double track stretch has a switch on either end, yes. But it also has two pairs of switches in the middle to allow for changing sides and reorganizing trains using uncouplers. I assume then that the six switches and the possible four uncouplers will need an M83, yes?

Br01:

I do want to drive two trains, sometimes in the same direction, sometimes not. I was under the mistaken impression that the Mobile Station can handle two locos at the same time. I'll add a second once things are set up. I'm also under the impression that the Mobile Station can drive the switches and uncouplers. True?

A Central Station is overly ambitious for this layout. But, I do want switch control as they are not easy reached by hand. Ditto for the uncouplers.

All:

Still not entirely sure how M84 and signals go together, particularly for track control. Is it because interrupted track power requires an outside power circuit for powering and controlling the digital signals and switches?

Is there any real reference material for how all this goes together?

Thanks!
Offline Danlake  
#7 Posted : 04 January 2018 03:09:21(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi JBB,

You can control up to 11 locomotives with a mobile station 2, however as it only has 1 red throttle knob to control speed, you cannot simultaneous control the speed of more than 1 locomotive. I.e. you then first have to choose the loco you want to control and then do the speed setting.

I suggest you just start with one mobile station if you find above limiting you can always buy another one.

To control solenoids digital you need an solenoid accessory decoder. A signal will be sent via your mobile station to the track and the accessory decoder will pick up the signal as it will have a red wire connected from your layout. The accessory decoder will activate its port in a few mili seconds and that it is enough to energise the solenoids in a turnout or the old fashion style semaphores signals. Previously Marklin called this decoder K83 but now a newer version is available called M83. In the older version the programming of the decoder is very basic and simple with small manual dip switches. In the newer version you can program the software for the decoder using an central station. For your layout I suggest just to buy the old type or even cheaper the equivalent Viessmann K83 decoder.

A switching decoder is used to power on/off section of tracks, light system and some signals. These were previously called K84 decoder but now the newer model is M84. Again with the newer version you can do quite sophisticated programming on the ports of the decoder.

To get a basic understanding of accessory decoder and switching decoder I suggest to download the manuals for Viessmann K83 and K84 decoder.

Brgds Lasse

Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline jbblunck  
#8 Posted : 04 January 2018 17:38:47(UTC)
jbblunck

United States   
Thanks for the tip on decoders. Finally makes sense to me, sort of. It would appear that Marklin has gone through a dramatic digital generational shift with the introduction of decoders that live within the individual devices. Correct?

I take it, from reading the article, that the K83/M83 decoders are used IN PLACE of internal decoders in switches (74xxx accessory) and 70xxx series signals, yes? While a bit more expensive, using device-level decoders would cut down dramatically on the amount of wiring — something that my layout would benefit from. Note I don’t plan any accessory lighting or other gizmos.

Very clear blog article. Do you know of more sources for information like that?
Offline DaleSchultz  
#9 Posted : 04 January 2018 18:00:56(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
yes, I forgot the extra turnouts for allowing some train switching. In which case, yes, you either need k83/M83 OR a manual push button switch control to change the turnouts. Each k83 module handles 4 turnouts. A k84 will handle 4 switched circuits (essentially it is 4x digital single pole double throw switches)

Not sure if the uncouplers demand k84 or k84 style controllers, certainly if you want to keep it real simple, the manual (analog) push button panels allow you to do both turnout (just press) or uncouplers (press and hold)

Is this layout going to be viewed from below? How about mounting the signals on the underside!? and small LED lights to show status of turnouts...?
Dale
Offline jbblunck  
#10 Posted : 04 January 2018 18:16:49(UTC)
jbblunck

United States   
Dale,

See my other post above. Can you confirm my conclusion about K/M83 vs internal device decoders?

Layout on high shelf. The shelf will be narrow enough to allow reasonable viewing, though the double track area is a little challenging. I plan to imbed cameras... Your idea of discrete underside indicators is pretty cool. I’ll look into that. I was actually thinking of using semaphore signals since their height would make them visible. Same idea for uncoupler light masts. But eliminating them completely and substituting an underside indicator scheme could do the the trick. Gives me some other veneer ideas.

According to catalog, uncoupler requires a 72752 control box which, of course, is nowhere in the catalog. The description for the M83 does mention control of uncouplers, so it looks like there will be more wires. Grrr.

Stay warm there in Maine.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#11 Posted : 04 January 2018 21:13:35(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I have only ever used the older style k83 and k84 modules so I can't comment much on the M83/4 items.

Turnouts in C-Track can have the decoder inside the turnout - nice if you make what we call carpet Bahns - literally carpet layouts - that are going to be assembled and disassembled often. One a permanent layout, servicing such a decoder requires you pull the track up. K83 and M83 modules can be placed near the turnouts or as far away as you like - depending on your preference of how you run the wires.

Each of the 4 parts of a k83 can handle either one double solenoid device (such as a turnout) or two uncouplers.

If you group devices in sets of 4 (Eg two turnouts plus 4 uncouplers) you can position the modules so that the wires are minimized.
Eg 1 turnout, two signals, 2 uncouplers

That control box is really just a set of 4 double pole momentary push buttons. Any electrical momentary switches will work (old style door bell buttons).

Can you create an illusion where the train (and its shelf) seem to go around a corner but in fact it slips away and a different train emerges...

I suggest you test out the uncouplers on a small test bed and see if you like how they work and if they are worth it. You will learn how the wiring all works and then you will be ready for the shelf layout.
Dale
Offline jbblunck  
#12 Posted : 04 January 2018 22:50:57(UTC)
jbblunck

United States   
Thanks Dale. Agreed on integral decoders. Particular if...

I imagine I can run one pair of heavy brown/red power wires around the entire layout and then tap into them to drop power leads every 180cm or so, as well as power to K83/84 decoders or anything else that might need a juice.

Any thoughts on wire weight?

On your disappearing loco idea: Not really, though the inner shelf on the double track run affords opportunity to mask a train. If I were to add a parallel track to one of the short sides, your idea might work. I'll need to do some creative thinking on this.

Here's another thought: there's a turnout lantern kit. I wonder if it can be mounted upside down so that the lantern emerges below my shelf. Might have to buy one to see. Also, me thinks I can mount yard signals below the shelf. Hmmm.

Offline DaleSchultz  
#13 Posted : 04 January 2018 23:09:13(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Originally Posted by: jbblunck Go to Quoted Post

I imagine I can run one pair of heavy brown/red power wires around the entire layout and then tap into them to drop power leads every 180cm or so, as well as power to K83/84 decoders or anything else that might need a juice.

Any thoughts on wire weight?

yes running a good heavy brown and red around under the layout is highly recommended. Then you tap into that as needed. here is how I do it:
https://cabin-layout.blogspot.com/2002/02/wiring-track-feeds-to-bus-wires.html

You will probably also want a third wire to supply a 12V DC supply to items such as LEDs etc. You could also run 16V AC but if you are driving LEDs, DC will be cleaner.

I used house wiring. You wont be needing miles of it but it is nice to have distinct colors... So consider this:
https://cabin-layout.blogspot.com/2007/02/changing-wire-color.html

I don't think the turnout lanterns can be mounted easily on the underside. I would use different color LEDs, possibly latched to the turnout impulse.
Dale
Offline David Dewar  
#14 Posted : 04 January 2018 23:36:07(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Slightly off topic but this appears to be just one large loop. Given time I would have though more track would be needed to keep the layout interesting and therefore maybe plan ahead now for a future expansion regarding wiring and possibly a CS3.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline jbblunck  
#15 Posted : 04 January 2018 23:52:09(UTC)
jbblunck

United States   
Right you are, David, but expansion will likely never happen, though I will deliver power etc in way that will allow for some tweaking down the line.

This is being built on a shelf running above the window and doors. The shelf will be constructed as a lighting soffit, so architecturally it only reveals the layout when the trains are running -- otherwise it looks like a lighting cove. I'm considering adding a parallel section along a second wall, but I'll do this carefully so as not to spoil the decor. The layout itself won't have any scenery in the classic sense. I have some ideas for woodwork that will evoke mountains, trees, etc, but in a more impressionistic way. Think Frank Lloyd Wright windows as the inspiration.

Dale's ideas for indicator lamps imbedded below the shelf are intriguing. I'll also be installing cameras above the cove that will feed back to a quad display on a 65" screen, giving me a train yard control view of the part of the layout that will demand some control beyond just running in circles. That may or may not eliminate the need for under-shelf indicators. A CS3 is a possibility, so things will be future-proofed to allow for that if my interest doesn't drift to my RC gliders or who knows what. For now it's fun rediscovering my old childhood fascination.

I know this all sounds counter to the usual miniature diorama approach to model railroading, but I think when I finally post photos in a few months, it'll all become clear and not quite that weird. Or maybe not. Ha!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jbblunck
Offline clapcott  
#16 Posted : 05 January 2018 02:00:44(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
From what I am hearing I conclude there is no need for decoders at all for the switches(points/turnouts). The same can almost be said for the signals.

Instead of buying decoders now, just get some Mom-Off-Mom SPDT switches from Mouser and construct your own layout control board.
While this may initially mean a bit more wiring (length), it is far cheaper than decoders, far more ergonomic, and more importantly, means you do not have to juggle between MS2 screens for keyboard and loco.

Personally note : I consider the keyboard capability of the MS2 a white elephant, and only of use for starter sets with only 2 switches.

For signals, the only difference is because of the some current offering (764xx are digital only).

For older signals , if you are happy to do a little bit of electronics (soldering resistors to wires) then an On-On SPDT switch will give you the cosmetics while a DPDT switch will provide the dead section track control. (you can control these 2 aspects separately if you wish)

IF you did want a bit of future proofing and/or are looking at the higher detailed 764xx signals, then the 72760 controlbox (supports 4 signals each) might be considered. This assumes 2 aspect (Red/Green) signals - do not use this for 3 aspect (Red/Green/Amber) signals

Comment re #MS2s in a subsystem.
Each 10 pin port of a 60116 may have
- a MS2 directly connected
OR
- a 60112 Hub - which provides for 5 10pin ports for MS2s

i.e. a total of 10 MS2s may be connected within the same operating subsystem to a single 60116 Track Box

And just to expand on the # of locs
- the subsystem - via the Master MS2 may have a Roster of 40 locomotives
- 10 + 1 may be in active use at a time (The +1 was designed for the LocoCard overflow)
- The Control Throttle and Buttons operate on the selected active locomotive. However the remaining (9 active) locomotives will continue to run with the last command given to them
Peter
Offline jbblunck  
#17 Posted : 05 January 2018 02:10:15(UTC)
jbblunck

United States   
Appreciate the input. There's really no room here for any kind of control board. The layout lives on a soffit around my guest house living room. The MS2 will plug into a hidden jack in a book case. It's likely, however, given the limitations of the MS2 that I'll eventually upgrade to a CS3. Fun stuff.

I'd post a diagram of the layout but haven't figured out how to include pics in posts... I'll get there.
Offline blid  
#18 Posted : 05 January 2018 15:14:43(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
Have you checked this thread: Sparrow's new shelf layout
https://www.marklin-user...s-new-shelf-layout/page3

Unfortunately the pictures can't be viewed anymore, but there are some videos on page 3. As far as I recall he made cutouts for the C tracks in the foam.

Sorry! Wrong thread. Maybe of some use anyway.
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
Offline jbblunck  
#19 Posted : 05 January 2018 17:31:58(UTC)
jbblunck

United States   
Blid: Thanks for the link. An ambitious and well-executed layout, indeed. I’ll be doing something a bit different, but seeing this gives me a few ideas.

Edited by user 05 January 2018 22:04:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline jbblunck  
#20 Posted : 05 January 2018 22:10:53(UTC)
jbblunck

United States   
The picture below shows the layout as currently envisioned. This will be on a shelf above the windows and doors. Layout is approx 15x20'. There will be cameras on the three-track side to allow for viewing of yard switching on 65" television. This will not be landscaped, etc. I know this seems odd, but it'll all work.

Any advice on uncoupler/signal placement would be appreciated. Track spacing is 64mm.

All digital implementation with working signals, etc.

UserPostedImage

Offline rrf  
#21 Posted : 06 January 2018 00:01:24(UTC)
rrf

United States   
It's a beautiful concept. I wish beautiful wife would let me do that to one of our rooms! If you are going to all the trouble of mounting the single track on a "round the room" shelf, why not consider a pair of parallel ovals? This would allow you to run two trains at once. With the addition of two sidings and a little bit of analog automation you could bump it up to four trains, where each pair takes turns on a mainline.
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
Offline jbblunck  
#22 Posted : 06 January 2018 00:56:37(UTC)
jbblunck

United States   
Whoa slow down there, Rob. 😀

A few things...

Double and triple track sections are above walls of windows, so a wider shelf doesnt detract from the room. The sides are on walls with doors.

Top left is a bookcase that the track will travel through. I’m going to do false book spines to create a tunnel.

The sides also drop 6” from the triple to the double side. A 3 percent drop. The track will be inside a wooden lattice-like tunnel. Having double tracks on the sides complicates the woodwork as well, so the thinner profile rules.

Anyway, any thoughts on signal and uncoupler placement?

Offline DaleSchultz  
#23 Posted : 06 January 2018 04:03:22(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
to determine uncoupler placement I suggest making a small test length of track with one uncoupler to see if they work how you expect them to.
In my experience I never see anyone actually using them much (even when installed) most guys run a consist and at most change a loco, unless they are into actual switching, which you may be.

Do you expect the couplings to remain uncoupled after being pushed over the uncoupler?
Do you expect to uncouple a specific coupling when position over the uncoupler, and then reverse part of the train away?
If so do you want room on the siding for the loco to be uncoupled without the loco fouling the turnout? In which case the uncoupler should be safetymargin+locolength+1" away from the turnout (I would guess)
Do you expect them to reliably uncouple trains and do you expect to couple them up again with shunting movements?

quite frankly I just don't get uncouplers. The only prototype I know of that matches their utility is a hump yard...

I like the triple track at the top. And the fake bookshelf idea. Great place to hide a train.

Dale
Offline jbblunck  
#24 Posted : 06 January 2018 05:00:37(UTC)
jbblunck

United States   
All good points. I’ll likely do a little test at some point. I did try uncouplers some years ago when I took my trains out for a spell. Seem to remember them work with careful maneuvering.

As this layout is out of reach, I need to figure out something that works.

How do you feel about the position of the crossover switches in the triple track section?
Offline DaleSchultz  
#25 Posted : 06 January 2018 14:44:17(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
The crossovers look reasonable, but they do provide what looks like very short tracks.

My personal approach would be to have 3 full length sidings at the 'top' and no mid track crossovers and no uncouplers. That track plan would allow you to keep 5 trains (I know you plan 2, but you could have 5 consists and 2 locos).

Dale
Offline rrf  
#26 Posted : 06 January 2018 17:00:06(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
The crossovers look reasonable, but they do provide what looks like very short tracks.

My personal approach would be to have 3 full length sidings at the 'top' and no mid track crossovers and no uncouplers. That track plan would allow you to keep 5 trains (I know you plan 2, but you could have 5 consists and 2 locos).

I concur with Dale. Though for you, that may not be the best answer. Ask yourself:
  1. Do I prefer to sit back and watch multiple trains run past me at one or more "cool train spotting" locations on my layout?
  2. Do I want to interact with my layout by shunting cars back and forth between different locomotives?

If #1 is more important to you, then I would follow Dale's advice. If #2 is important, then the crossover(s) and un-coupler(s) are necessary. If you do fall within the #2 catagory, I suggest the crossovers should be lengthened as much as possible.
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
Offline jbblunck  
#27 Posted : 06 January 2018 17:41:27(UTC)
jbblunck

United States   
OK then, thank you both.

I’ll likely compress the crossover to allow for two long sections in the top siding track. This would allow for two different consists up there that could be swapped with the two consists on the locos. Only two uncouplers would be needed to make that practical. Remember that the siding is about 14 feet long, so that could make for two 4-5 foot consists.

The middle and bottom tracks are for passing on the main line, though I could add another crossover between them for parking something in a pinch, but I guess my configuration already accommodates that.

Me thinks I’ll be fiddling with this quite a bit before I screw the tracks to the shelf.

Dale: hidden spur in bookcase is a possibility I’m considering. Only for a very short train, but I do have a third 0-8-0 tank loco and small passenger cars. It would change the yard entry slightly on the left, but false book fronts would still work.

Cool!
Offline jbblunck  
#28 Posted : 06 January 2018 20:44:53(UTC)
jbblunck

United States   
Revised the layout to maximize top siding space for two consists (where did that word come from?).

Added Dale's hidden spur in the bookcase.

Now have to figure out best signal placement.

UserPostedImage
Offline DaleSchultz  
#29 Posted : 06 January 2018 22:21:40(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
looks great!

signal placement - place them where people can see them (you know this one)
then ahead of turnouts for entry and exit from sidings.

also, there are distant signals that show the aspect of the next main signal up the track... so you get to add more lights.... to avoid crazy complexity, I suggest you only use distant signals on your main line outside of the 'stations'.

If you decide that the passing siding will only ever run in one direction, then each only needs one exit signal.
One entry signal on each of the two approaches (going South)
One signal before the bookcase (going North in the plan above)
One signal before the switching area (also going North in the plan above)
Five exit signals for the switching area
If you like, another 4 small shunting signals at the crossover...

German signals are generally placed to the RIGHT of the track. If placed on the left (due to an obstruction) then there is an indicator on the right to that effect.
Dale
Offline jbblunck  
#30 Posted : 06 January 2018 23:22:43(UTC)
jbblunck

United States   
Dale:

Still not sure I’m going to commit to assigned directions. With this layout so high up, you’d hate to relegate a train to only the outer loop — it’s harder to see. I suppose, though, I could swap direction on either the north or south side. Like crossing to France from Germany before the days of bi-directional signals perhaps. It’s be handy, too, to be able to handle an alternate universe where France and Germany are reversed for ultimate flexibility.

How about: Four exit signals at the SW and SE corners, rather than entry signals at NW and NE. The east and west NS tracks will be crossing the great room divide, so waiting for the traverse to be clear makes sense, no? Your five exit signals from the yard at NW and NE for crossing to the south side of the layout echo the south side arrangement The little hidden train will have to watch itself when exiting the bookcase spur — budget issues at the railroad forced cutbacks. It’s the little guys that always suffer most, right?

The only other places a little wiggy would be entry to the yard area on either side. Do I deal with that with yet more signals, or do I leave that to railroad management staff to have the switches thrown the right way for a train coming through? I think I know what you’re going to say... additional entry signals at NW and NE makes sense.

Style-wise I was going to use semaphore signals at the exits. I just think they look cool and it’s what I had on my childhood layout. Marklin has a yard signal (70421). Is that a shunt signal, or did you mean something like the track block/yard signal (76472)? As much as possible I’m going to have all the signals be able to control the locos.

I might be headed quickly to a CS3.

Many thanks for your input!

Offline pab  
#31 Posted : 07 January 2018 18:22:13(UTC)
pab

Netherlands   
70421 is a block signal with two functions: GO and STOP. Just used for shunting areas and station areas
Entry and exit signals (in stations) are mainline home signals. Sometimes you have a combination of a block sign and a home signal. The block signal in that case is only valid for shunting and could be ignored by non shunting trains. The shunting trains may nott ignore a Hp0 (stop) on a home signal.

You can use the M signals but you also can have a look at the Viessmann signals. Very well build and reliable models. I use those signals for a long time (30+ years) with hardly no problems. Somewhat cheaper than Märklin.

I would rethink the use of a 3 way turn-out. Very often a source of problems. I removed all my 3 ways from the mainline for thsat reason.

Have you thought about a kind of protection about trains falling down. I won't think about falling my +500 euro locomotive falling down 2 meter after a derailment. Maybe you could use some clear plastic material as a protection..
Offline jbblunck  
#32 Posted : 07 January 2018 19:59:02(UTC)
jbblunck

United States   
Thanks Piet,

Triples are trouble, eh? Makes sense given the extra accuracy they require. Anyone else with similar misgivings with C-track triples? I can easily rework that section with an extra switch.

I’m taking a look at the Viessman offerings. I have to find a signal primer somewhere. Wikipedia!

I have thought about two-meter falls. On the EW sides the track will be hemmed in by a wood framing that sort of looks like steel bridge construction. On the NS sides there will be a narrow groove etched into the top edge of the shelf to accommodate a thin plexiglass panel should I later feel that the situation is too precarious. The panels would be easily removable and installable.
Offline Br01  
#33 Posted : 07 January 2018 21:53:17(UTC)
Br01

Portugal   
Hi,

I would avoid triples 24630 and also the double slip switch 24624 in permanent layouts. They are a good source of derailing (at high speed, very long locos, or intermediate position of the turnouts - the mechanism is complex), shorts (eg caused by detunned couplers) and power losses (eg more complex for the middle conductor with small locomotives). If you can, try to use only turnouts and/or if you must even curved turnouts are ok since the mechanism is simple.

As for good and cheap signals I recommend looking at the 74391 (block), and 74371 (block/yard). They are very cheap and can easy be controlled with an m84 controller (each m84 controls up to 4 signals). You can also power the m84 decoder from the track if You are not loading the track very much, as I assume. They look very prototypical and you don’t see any wires running to the signal (as opposed to some viessmann signals). You can also add a 74380 (distant signal) that connects to the same entry of a block signal in an m84 (it has 4x connectors for block and distant signals) and so it changes the synchronous with the main signal, which adds a nice touch to the layout with very little money.

Regards,
John
Offline DaleSchultz  
#34 Posted : 08 January 2018 00:15:00(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
well, I am not sure if your aim it to have lots of showy signals or to save money and have as few as possible, (but greater than zero signals). Zero is also possible.

if you want lots, then you can place exit and entry signals, and four distant signals.

If you want just exit signals then, place one at the end of each siding and we assume that a green exit implies that the track is clear on the mainline and into the next station siding.

Yes, the bookcase siding is secret and not given away by visible signals. Signals are 100% cosmetic.

The question about fixed directions was approaching the economy aspect of things, because if you want to run train in both directions (nice), then signals 'should' be present in both directions.

Yes semaphores are nice. A bit more expensive than color light signals (as they have moving parts). I have one in my preserved railway museum yard, all the rest being color light signals.
I also like Viessmann equipment, better features and prices than Märklin and excellent quality.

I like http://sh1.org/eisenbahn/index.htm for German railway signal information.
Dale
Offline jbblunck  
#35 Posted : 08 January 2018 00:57:10(UTC)
jbblunck

United States   
Triple be gone.

As for signals:

Keep in mind that this layout is up on a shelf above eye level. While I assume a CS3 or MS2 allow for monitoring of signal and switch states, I do need to have some insurance that collisions are minimized. Hence, ALL the signals will directly affect locomotive travel. How that translates to block/yard and distant signals I don't quite understand, which is why I keep asking questions. Sorry about that.

Traffic will move in both directions on all lines. I know this complicates matters, but in my experience with challenging hobbies I tend to ramp up to full capability pretty quickly. I'm trying to do as comprehensive a build as possible, using all the advantages of digital control. All whilst trying to understand where I might be going overboard.

The layout itself is more or less locked unless someone has a cool idea. Latest below.

Functionality is most important, money least -- I can always temper the spending when the little woman gives me that look, but luckily she's into* this particular escapade (* a little).

I like semaphores, and they probably take the role of mainline entry and exit signaling, yes? Showy is good if it enhances understanding where things are at. There will be live video feeds of the yard/triple track area along the north wall. The other three walls are thoroughfares.

The south wall double tracks require signals for entry into the EW walls single tracks. Similarly, the north wall tracks require exit signals to head south on either side.

There need to be some sort of signals to manage the yard traffic.

I've been looking at the Viessmann stuff. Some possibilities there as long as compatibility isn't a factor.

Tomorrow I'll start prototyping the shelves and how they'll attach to the wall. There'll be no visible brackets, so I'm experimenting with two inch angle aluminum imbedded in plywood and screwed to the wall above the shelf. All with troughs for cove lighting, layout wiring, and camera feeds.

Once again, all your advice and input is much appreciated.

JB
310-266-6978 if you feel like chatting. I'm in California.

UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jbblunck