Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline hmsfix  
#1 Posted : 16 January 2006 00:09:01(UTC)
hmsfix

Hi friends,

No doubt, the new year brings a lot of new item for us model railroaders: new loks Smile, new cars Smile, new layouts Smile, and new regulations from the European Commission (Sorry, no adequate smiley available for this kind of feeling).

The point is: the presently available soldering wire will disappear from market within near future. This is enforced by a new regulation of the EU, which has meanwhile been approved by the most national governments in Europe, more or less without attracting public attention.

As you know, the soldering metal in our loks, cars, and layouts is an alloy of 60 % tin and 40 % lead. As lead is a toxic substance, especially when inhaled with the soldering vapour, the EU enforced that the existing soldering metal must be distracted from market, i.e. the tin-lead-alloy will disappear from the catalogs of the electronics distributors, such as Conrad, Reichelt, Farnell, and others. This is intended as a measure of health protection for employees in electronics industry, where large quantities of soldering metal are processed. As a replacement, a different soldering alloy consisting of 98 % tin and 2 % antimony will be offered. Good thing, in principle.

However, there are some drawbacks:

1. the new soldering alloy cannot be mixed with the old one. That is, you can't repair an existing soldering connection using the new soldering metal. Before you contact a wire or an electronic component at a soldering point of an electronic board using the new alloy, you must first completely remove the old soldering metal in the vicinity of the respective soldering point. May be difficult on a lok decoder, I think. And you can't reuse electronic components that have been in contact with the old alloy.

2. The new alloy requires a higher soldering temperature. With the old alloy, optimal soldering temperatures was 280 - 330 °C. The new alloy requires 350 - 400 °C. It is not clear whether existing electronics components and electronic layout board will withstand this elevated temperature.

For the time being this all is a case for us european model railroaders, and it does not affect our overseas friends. Allthough one never knows what will happen in the more remote future.

My recommendation: don't forget to order some spare rolls of old electronics soldering wire, as long as it is still available.

Hans Martin
Offline stephenbb  
#2 Posted : 16 January 2006 01:38:29(UTC)
stephenbb

looks like you better run out and stock up on a suppy of material..
Stephen(USA)
Stephen(USA)
ETE,NMRA,MEA
Offline perz  
#3 Posted : 16 January 2006 01:46:37(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
Well, there are exemptions for repair use, so I don't think there will be a total stop.

Also, the tin/antimony solder is just one of several alternatives. There are other types e.g. with tin/silver/copper which can be used together with old types of components. It is not really reliable to mix leaded and lead free components in mass production but in repair work it is OK if you inspect every solder point carefully afterwards.

The higher temperature needed may be a problem with some components, but if you replace a component with a new one, the new one is probably already made for the higher temperature.
Offline xxup  
#4 Posted : 16 January 2006 02:31:08(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I think that you guys should start working on your applications to emigrate to Australia.. Yes - there is a risk, but nothing that good work practices can't address...I wonder how long before they decide that breathing is a problem because it produces carbon dioxide and that affects the Ozone layer...
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline nevw  
#5 Posted : 16 January 2006 07:39:32(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Adrian,
GO into Dick Smiths and you will find that the EU has hit Australia.
Very hard to find 60/40 Solder. Most of the Stock was Lead Free.
NevCool

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by xxup
<br />I think that you guys should start working on your applications to emigrate to Australia.. Yes - there is a risk, but nothing that good work practices can't address...I wonder how long before they decide that breathing is a problem because it produces carbon dioxide and that affects the Ozone layer...
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline john black  
#6 Posted : 16 January 2006 08:28:14(UTC)
john black

United States   
Since EC [xx(] also regulates the degree of bananas there's one simple solution. Don't care about ... Cool
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline xxup  
#7 Posted : 16 January 2006 09:11:31(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by nevw
<br />Adrian,
GO into Dick Smiths and you will find that the EU has hit Australia.
Very hard to find 60/40 Solder. Most of the Stock was Lead Free.
NevCool

I have this 1960's roll of resin filled solder that my father purchased at the same time he bought me my first soldering iron... I am still using it, but as you can guess I don't do much soldering..

UserPostedImage

Couple of interesting things about this solder... It has a $ price tag which means that it is around 1966 - we were in Sydney in 1967 for holidays... It also has 1lb - Australia went metric in 1975.. And the scariest part of all it has made in USA - a rare thing as USA things have been very expensive for many many years.. (now we have a free trade agreement and they should become even more so..) biggrin

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline xxup  
#8 Posted : 16 January 2006 09:19:16(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by john black
<br />Since EC [xx(] also regulates the degree of bananas... Cool

WHAT!!!! Gee those guys (used in the most non-sexist way) must have heaps of free time! [:0]
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline crasyhh  
#9 Posted : 16 January 2006 09:27:23(UTC)
crasyhh

We in Norway are not members of EC, but we still need to follow ALL! of their rules! but my local dealer said something about order the solder as a spare part.
analog american mini-club
1950+
Offline Tony  
#10 Posted : 16 January 2006 18:57:27(UTC)
Tony

South Africa   
I think our part of the world will take 50+ years before they conform or worry about this [:0] - the environment, safety etc are only now becoming something they are thinking about - and there is not much thinking at this time!!Smile

- but we are getting there!! - so guys let me know if you need some stockbiggrinbiggrin

Hell knows what China are doing regarding conforming to solder standards [:0]They must use a whole lot of the stuff!!!
Regards Tony
Offline Doodlebug  
#11 Posted : 16 January 2006 21:33:34(UTC)
Doodlebug

There are also regulations in USA as California is pretty stiff. Some of the products only cause cancer in California if you read the labelbiggrin.

I don't think this is as bad as when toxic chemicals were removed from paint. I can't find a yellow that would only require two layers to make a good surface for an example.

Mikko
Offline David Dewar  
#12 Posted : 16 January 2006 21:48:54(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Just went down to my local electrical store to be told there is no solder left. It appears there is a world shortage.
Some chap called Hans has bought the lot lol.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline hmsfix  
#13 Posted : 16 January 2006 23:40:45(UTC)
hmsfix

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by David Dewar
<br />Just went down to my local electrical store to be told there is no solder left. It appears there is a world shortage.

David

David, that wasn't me. But your dealer is clever. He reads this forum, tells everyone soldering wire is running short worldwide, and waits that the lead manufacturer's stocks are rising! biggrinbiggrinbiggrin Hey, must phone my depot manager now...

Hans Martin
Offline Munich 1860  
#14 Posted : 17 January 2006 12:08:02(UTC)
Munich 1860

Germany   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by David Dewar
<br />Just went down to my local electrical store to be told there is no solder left. It appears there is a world shortage.

David
I suppose this might be the single most popular first name on this forum ....(especially with all international forms like Jan, Juhan, Johann, John, Sean, Giovanni and so on and so on ....)

It wasn't me either.

Hans
I like M-track and my things that run on it were built between 1959 and 1972.
Offline HueyCE  
#15 Posted : 17 January 2006 12:29:02(UTC)
HueyCE

Himmel Donnerwetter Hans(which ever one it was). I don't suppose you will be nice to your fellow Märklinists and let us have some?[}:)][:p]Smile
Ira
Building German Era I-II layout(Mk IIIc).UserPostedImage

Offline nevw  
#16 Posted : 17 January 2006 15:07:34(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
I have plenty from old supply from 20 years ago. sellit for 20 Euro per CM plus postage
Nevbiggrinbiggrinbiggrin[}:)][}:)]

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by HueyCE
<br />Himmel Donnerwetter Hans(which ever one it was). I don't suppose you will be nice to your fellow Märklinists and let us have some?[}:)][:p]Smile
Ira
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline john black  
#17 Posted : 17 January 2006 18:17:12(UTC)
john black

United States   
1 cm, please. They say cost of living will be high in 2006 ... [xx(]
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...

Offline Guus  
#18 Posted : 17 January 2006 18:49:32(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote: 1 cm, please. They say cost of living will be high in 2006 ... [xx(]

biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

I'll visit the local hardware stores next week and see what they have in stock.
Might become one of the best investments for this year winkbiggrin

Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline MHauge  
#19 Posted : 17 January 2006 20:54:02(UTC)
MHauge

I bought a roll about 2 month's ago, so i got enough for the next 5 years i think :)
Maybee i should go get another roll just to be sure....

Michael
Märklin C-tracks, Mobile Station, Danish Ep 4
Offline nevw  
#20 Posted : 17 January 2006 23:16:36(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
John do you want that Gift Wrapped??[}:)][}:)]
Nev

Quote:
<br />1 cm, please. They say cost of living will be high in 2006 ... [xx(]
Offline Webmaster  
#21 Posted : 17 January 2006 23:28:06(UTC)
Webmaster

The name of beast causing this commotion is called RoHS, Reduction of Hazardous Substances.

Our company, especially my department, is heavily hit by these new regulations since we sell computer hardware with add-ons... Is that Bluetooth adapter RoHS compliant? The WLAN PC-Card? Our custom assembled products must be compliant after the 1st of July this year... This means the components must also be....

In addition to that, there is a recycling directive too called WEEE (and that's what it is, at least legally.[:p]..)....
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline john black  
#22 Posted : 17 January 2006 23:30:02(UTC)
john black

United States   
Neville: Don't bother. AIRMAIL plus INSURANCE plus SPECIAL DELIVERY at your cost will do biggrin

Offline Maxi  
#23 Posted : 18 January 2006 00:02:21(UTC)
Maxi

I already bought my estimated supply of solder and am set for my future projects which I have lined up.[8)]Cool
Offline nevw  
#24 Posted : 18 January 2006 02:07:40(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
OK John, No Worries. Will make sure it is posted in time that you receive it on the 30th February.
Nev, Stockists of fine 60/40 Solder
[}:)]biggrin
Quote:
<br />Neville: Don't bother. AIRMAIL plus INSURANCE plus SPECIAL DELIVERY at your cost will do biggrin