Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline HighSpeeds410  
#1 Posted : 10 December 2017 21:34:42(UTC)
HighSpeeds410

United States   
Hi, I am new to this forum I do not own any Marklin trains YET. I am looking to get the Hamo version #8371 ICE 410 exp. train set. Because it apparently is the DC version of the train. I own the fleichmann version of it but 'am not impressed with it. The Marklin one looks better and has motors in both ends and seems to be quite a unique model train design wise. (It's also is kind of cute looking) the z scale is way too small.

My questions are before I buy one (feel free to say if you have one to offer)
Is it possible to wire a Digitraxx DCC decoder into the ICE? I am not sure how this could be done and how much work it will take.

I know it has wires in the couplers and one Decoder controls it like its a single engine. It also has lights in the cars that get their power from rear wheel boogies of the motor units.

I want the electricity flowing to the lights in the cars to be direct from the wheels and the power going to the motors and head and rear lights to go through the decoder. I also want the rear engine to do the same but with only one decoder in one of the head units. In order to do this would I need to get a new circuit board. Would I need to get new circuit boards for both units or just one of them and what kind of decoder chip to use I prefer Digitraxx as these are much cheaper.

My question is how to convert the Hamo #8371 DC to DCC?
Post some pictures so I have a visual of its guts and get a better idea of what to do. Thank you.

Edited by user 11 December 2017 01:09:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Markus Schild  
#2 Posted : 11 December 2017 09:40:27(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

Welcome to the forum. I don't know that decoder, but a German offers new PCBs to install NEM652 compatible decoders. I also don't know the capabilities of the DIGITRAX to drice the FAULHABER - motors of the train.

The conversion is described here: https://www.digital-bahn.../bau_fzg/ice.htm#english . He also offers a more complex manual (in German):https://www.digital-bahn.de/shop/media/pdf/ice_2v4_anleitung.pdf

Regards

Markus
Offline HighSpeeds410  
#3 Posted : 11 December 2017 17:41:28(UTC)
HighSpeeds410

United States   
Yes I have seen that site before. But it says for #3371 and #3671 does not seem to mention the 8371. Would the digital bahn circuit board work in the 8371? because its DC not AC like 3371 and 3671. That's why I am unsure if that would work or not. I need it to run it on 2 rail DC/DCC.
Offline Markus Schild  
#4 Posted : 11 December 2017 18:19:07(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

In your case the only difference is the pickup of the current. The board will work if your decoder has that NEM - plug.

Regards

Markus
Offline HighSpeeds410  
#5 Posted : 11 December 2017 21:55:06(UTC)
HighSpeeds410

United States   
Thanks for the help.
Do I need to Replace the circuit board in both head units or just one?
Offline Markus Schild  
#6 Posted : 11 December 2017 22:03:15(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

You need two circuit-boards. One fully assembled (locomotive 1), and one time the single board (locomotive 2) . He offers the PCBs either complete or to finish yourself:
Complete assembled set of boards (but w/o decoder): https://www.digital-bahn...t_info.php?products_id=3
Single boards: https://www.digital-bahn...t_info.php?products_id=4

Regards

Markus
Offline HighSpeeds410  
#7 Posted : 14 December 2017 00:31:43(UTC)
HighSpeeds410

United States   
What is an NEM plug? and would it be necessary?
Offline Markus Schild  
#8 Posted : 14 December 2017 09:18:54(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

It is plug a for decoders: http://www.dccwiki.com/8_Pin_DCC_Plug .

The corresponding plug is on the PCB. If your decoder does not have it, you can solder such a plug to the harness.

Regards

Markus
Offline HighSpeeds410  
#9 Posted : 08 February 2018 22:43:25(UTC)
HighSpeeds410

United States   
hello again I now own the Marklin 8371 I found it for only about 170$ on the German ebay. I have attempted to order the replacement circuit boards from DigitalBhan and they have not responded to any emails I am very sure they ship international as I am American and do not really speak any German. Is their a specific way to order international from the website?