Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jsmatlak  
#1 Posted : 23 November 2017 17:32:06(UTC)
jsmatlak

United States   
I recently purchased this very nice CS66/13020 and some passenger cars at an auction. A couple of questions:

1) Although I have found information on the similar CS64/13020, I am not able to find information on the CS66/13020; what year was it made?

2) When powered, the light comes on but the locomotive will not move. Moving the lever connected to the reverser has no effect. Looking inside through the cab doors it appears that the wiring was replaced at some point and it looks to be in good condition. I expect that something inside is either loose or disconnected, how do I remove the power unit from the locomotive body (or otherwise access the interior) in order to check the wiring?

Thank you

Johns Marklin CS66-13020 loco 2.jpgJohns Marklin CS66-13020 loco.jpg
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#2 Posted : 23 November 2017 19:36:08(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Sadly I can't help wit the locomotive, but I love your lionel power station!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Pmare4  
#3 Posted : 23 November 2017 21:38:20(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
Hi,

The only real difference between the 66/ and 64/ versions of the loco was the reverser used. 66/ locos had an automatic reverse which could be deactivated via pulling or pushing a lever in the cab. 64/ locos had a different mechanism, where a lever was moved either up or down to obtain forwards or reverse running, and to the centre to get automatic reverse.

If you could post a photo of the bottom of the loco that would make it a lot easier for me to tell you how to remove the motor.

regards
Peter
Peter
Collecting vintage Märklin from 1935-1970, also Hornby O Gauge
Offline jsmatlak  
#4 Posted : 23 November 2017 22:13:38(UTC)
jsmatlak

United States   
Originally Posted by: Pmare4 Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

The only real difference between the 66/ and 64/ versions of the loco was the reverser used. 66/ locos had an automatic reverse which could be deactivated via pulling or pushing a lever in the cab. 64/ locos had a different mechanism, where a lever was moved either up or down to obtain forwards or reverse running, and to the centre to get automatic reverse.

If you could post a photo of the bottom of the loco that would make it a lot easier for me to tell you how to remove the motor.

regards
Peter

Good suggestion- here are two photos of the bottom. And do you know what year(s) these were produced? Thanks for your assistance.

Marklin CS66-13020 underside.jpgMarklin CS66-13020 underside 2.jpg
Offline Pmare4  
#5 Posted : 23 November 2017 23:07:46(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
OK then - obviously there aren't any screws on the bottom of the lok that would let you take the mech out, so obviously a lot different to the Hornby models I'm used to working with.

Next step then would be to try and slide the top roof off to take a look at the interior, on some Marklin O gauge models the screws are placed in from above, through the running boards and then into brackets on the sides of the mech.

From what I've been able to find the lok was produced from 1927 through to 1931. Unfortunately I think the pantographs on yours have been replaced with ones from the late 30s.

Peter
Collecting vintage Märklin from 1935-1970, also Hornby O Gauge
Offline jsmatlak  
#6 Posted : 24 November 2017 05:58:59(UTC)
jsmatlak

United States   
Originally Posted by: Pmare4 Go to Quoted Post
OK then - obviously there aren't any screws on the bottom of the lok that would let you take the mech out, so obviously a lot different to the Hornby models I'm used to working with.

Next step then would be to try and slide the top roof off to take a look at the interior, on some Marklin O gauge models the screws are placed in from above, through the running boards and then into brackets on the sides of the mech.

From what I've been able to find the lok was produced from 1927 through to 1931. Unfortunately I think the pantographs on yours have been replaced with ones from the late 30s.

Thank you, the top of the roof lifts off and then the screws holding the motor unit to the frame are accessible. The reason the locomotive was not running was because one of the motor brushes had become stuck in the brushway. Although I might have been able to correct this without having the motor unit out, it did allow me to also observe the action of the reverser, so it was very educational. I also corrected a minor problem with the frame that was causing one end of the locomotive to be higher than the other.

And I was wondering about those pantographs, as they did not seem to match those that I saw in photos of other locomotives of this type. I do like this type of pantograph however. Other changes on the locomotive are that someone replaced the original headlight lamp socket with a different type and added an additional bulb on the interior of the locomotive.

Some photos are attached, thanks again for the assistance!

Marklin CS66-13020 reverser.jpgMarklin CS66-13020 operating.jpgMarklin CS66-13020 roof removal.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jsmatlak