Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PMPeter  
#1 Posted : 23 November 2017 15:25:17(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
In one of the other postings regarding servo installations a statement was made by Applor saying "If you use under board servos not only does it look a lot better it also means you can also mount the turnout lanterns on the correct side too."

What is the correct side?
Offline applor  
#2 Posted : 23 November 2017 23:21:00(UTC)
applor

Australia   
In the majority of cases (from real life photos I have studied), the lantern is installed on the straight side of the turnout, rather than the curved.

There are examples of the lanterns on the curved side, usually due to space constraints, but you should have them on the straight side wherever possible.

Not possible with C track of course, due to fixed lantern into the mould.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline PMPeter  
#3 Posted : 24 November 2017 01:10:50(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I should have known that I had a 50:50 chance of getting it correct and that my odds were probably better if I followed the C track example, only to have Murphy strike and I made the wrong decision on my first 4 servo conversions. However, after posting this morning I found another German thread from around 2009 about the same issue (not Stummis) and the debate went on for quite a while with no final conclusion. However, an ex DB employee noted that there was no distinct regulation other than the lantern should be placed where it will be most visible by the engineer unless there was a space restriction. Another member insisted that it should always be on the straight. And the debate raged on.

So I decided since I am modelling left hand traffic I will place the lanterns on the right side when viewed entering the switch at the points end. That way I will be correct one way or the other 50% of the time. BigGrin

Peter
Offline DaleSchultz  
#4 Posted : 24 November 2017 03:00:23(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I also don't know which side, but I have some images of their insides and some other information on them at
https://cabin-layout.blo...urnout-lantern-7547.html

I see I placed one on the curve side... probably because I already had the turnout motor on the straight side...
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline Markus Schild  
#5 Posted : 24 November 2017 07:32:27(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

UserPostedImage

The majority, but not all of the lanterns I can see, are on the curved side.

Regards

Markus
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline cookee_nz  
#6 Posted : 24 November 2017 11:38:58(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
In the majority of cases (from real life photos I have studied), the lantern is installed on the straight side of the turnout, rather than the curved.

There are examples of the lanterns on the curved side, usually due to space constraints, but you should have them on the straight side wherever possible.

Not possible with C track of course, due to fixed lantern into the mould.

And M. have (mostly) had the lantern on the curved side on M track and most K track so they have actually rather set the scene for the past 70-odd years.

Old habits.... Laugh

Edited by user 15 December 2017 02:08:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline applor  
#7 Posted : 25 November 2017 02:20:44(UTC)
applor

Australia   
That is a good example of turnouts on the curved side, definitely. I could also post hundreds of pictures showing them on the straight side.

In regards to marklin, when using solenoid motors on the standard (R3) turnouts you must install the motor on the straight side since it cannot fit around the curved side.
I would also say they used the curve side originally because it is less likely to get in the way and prevents the lantern sticking out on the straight side where it is more likely to get damaged.

Lastly in the Marklin instructions for the K track underboard mounting kits with lanterns they illustrate the lanterns to be installed on the straight side.

So again, yes there are plenty of examples of them on the curved side and that is fine to represent but if you have a choice I would advise the straight side of the turnout as it is far more common.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline Bones  
#8 Posted : 15 December 2017 00:14:39(UTC)
Bones

Australia   
I'd trust whatever a railway engineer say's over anyone else's opinion because a person's opinion isn't fact in law

The railways just like any other organisation will place point lanterns anywhere it chooses if it helps with railway operation's and avoids infringement on clearways

My father was a design engineer for the NSW goverment railways for over 35 years and would tell you the same thing because he would always see the way and works branch
engineer's who were responsible for carrying out this kind of work

Again anyones opinion is irrelevant if some one who has knowledge of and is qualified to speak about said subject has first hand knowledge otherwise you are telling these people they
are liar's which is defamation

Edited by user 15 December 2017 03:37:22(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bones
Offline michelvr  
#9 Posted : 15 December 2017 01:00:24(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
This seems like a good discussion so hopefully when Marklin makes the NEW C track Wide Double Slip Switch they will have read these posts.
Offline Bones  
#10 Posted : 05 September 2020 05:48:23(UTC)
Bones

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

UserPostedImage

The majority, but not all of the lanterns I can see, are on the curved side.

Regards

Markus

I think they are mostly on the right because they show a lit arrow pointing towards the curve to give a visual indication of the points direction and if it's not in the right direction he can
pull the train up and stop

Offline hxmiesa  
#11 Posted : 05 September 2020 13:08:28(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

And M. have (mostly) had the lantern on the curved side on M track and most K track so they have actually rather set the scene for the past 70-odd years.

Actually. Märklin has always had the lanterns on the straight side on K-tracks, until the new versions which allows the user to choose ThumpUp

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/263940823873_/Marklin-Ho-2161-2164-Left-And-Right-K-Track.jpg
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline hxmiesa  
#12 Posted : 05 September 2020 13:16:34(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: Bones Go to Quoted Post
I'd trust whatever a railway engineer say's over anyone else's opinion because a person's opinion isn't fact in law
My father was a design engineer for the NSW goverment railways for over 35 years and would tell you the same thing because he would always see the way and works branch engineer's who were responsible for carrying out this kind of work

Again anyones opinion is irrelevant if some one who has knowledge of and is qualified to speak about said subject has first hand knowledge otherwise you are telling these people they
are liar's which is defamation

Your father again, eh?

This "deferred experience" that you try to present here doesn't really work. -And here is why; As per problematic overlap with cutting aluminium tubes, the knowledge and experience of ONE person cannot reliably be transferred to the community via a 3rd person, who POSSIBLY may have MISUNDERSTOOD something on the way. Just IMHO, of course.

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline David Dewar  
#13 Posted : 05 September 2020 21:29:46(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I would suggest anybody can have an opinion on this site and it does not matter if right or wrong as it is just an opinion. An owner of a layout can place a lantern where it is most suitable for the the operation of the layout and the operator. Just my opinion.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by David Dewar