Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Poll Question : Should I buy 20 Maxon motors (if they're still available) so others may use them for replacements?
Choice Votes Statistics
  Total 1 100%
Guests can't see poll choices and poll results. Try login or register. Guests can't vote. Try login or register.
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MacGyver467  
#1 Posted : 20 November 2017 22:19:05(UTC)
MacGyver467

Well, I have a dead motor on my favorite loc, my BR45. I've done extensive testing and it's definitely the motor (again). I had to replace it one other time in 2005 after about 500 hours of run time. Used it for about five-six more with the replacement motor and gear train, then had a kid in 2011. When I put it away, I knew it was starting to exhibit the same symptoms from the first failure: not perfectly smooth acceleration, acting like it was hitting dirty spots on the track despite the track being pristine, etc. I was hoping Marklin would still stock the motor and gear train when I brought the box back out.

Well, it's 2017, and I want my daughter to enjoy some real trains instead of my Classic BRIO set, and pulled out my BR45 for inspection and reaffirmation the motor was dying....it's completely dead. Seems like it sputters to life then dies quickly even on full power. I desoldered the motor and multimetered it: dead as a doornail unless you turn it to a certain spot, but ONLY that spot.

I've determined that it's time to replace the motor. So, went to Marklin's site...surprise, surprise! It's not available anymore. I found the old thread on here discussing a replacement and the motor vendor showed up and offered a few replacements. However, that was seven years ago.

I went to SBMODELLBAU and "ordered" two replacements, but never received an invoice or was asked to pay, so who knows if I'll get them?
As a second path, I emailed my local Maxon rep who said he sent an inquiry to the factory to see if they still make them.

So here's my question: If I can get them from Maxon again, are there any other people who want/need these motors? It's Marklin part number E212528.

Also, if you know of any other Marklin models that use this motor, please list them.

I'm willing to place a quantity order and hold onto them for a few years to sell them out to people. I promise not to make any profit on them: just pay for the original price for the motor that I will pay and also pay shipping, and we'll call it even. I'm thinking I can afford to buy about 20 of them (based on a price of $100 ea).

Anyone interested?

And in hindsight, I'm going to make sure all my power hookups are going through a SmartUPS from now on since it can condition the mains power to a nice sine wave instead of the power I get from the wall currently (very bad).

-MacG467
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 21 November 2017 13:15:24(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Have you checked the motor for the latest similar model from Marklin?

The Spare parts list for the 37455 shows the motor as being E191443, in stock at Marklin for 30 euro. Comparing the two exploded diagrams the motor looks identical to the E212528.

Have you asked the Marklin service department if the motor has a newer replacement? It might be just a straight swap.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline MacGyver467  
#3 Posted : 21 November 2017 14:35:11(UTC)
MacGyver467

Based on a few other threads I've read, the motor in later BR45s are not as good as the motor in 37450. Some people have said it's got an iron core and is different than the Maxon unit. Even though it's 30 euro, I'm not keen on trying something that others have said is different.

As a side note, I was looking at my past posts and saw when I did the rebuild of my loc after it had a particularly rough year at my job (someone kicked it by accident). I noticed a post that said I was buying a spare motor. I looked through my spare parts bin and lo and behold! I found the replacement I bought! I mounted it up and the loc works flawlessly now!

Even though I have a working model again, I'm still going to pursue getting replacement motors in case people want them state side. They are very specific motors: coreless, but with brushes. Here's a pic: http://www.robotpark.com...oreless-Motors_Part2.png

What I get from the old thread is that the coreless motors are prone to the coil warping when the motor is overloaded. An overload can happen from many different factors: train physically stopped but being told to go (this had happened with mine quite a few times), running at full speed then forcing an emergency stop, etc. These motors require proper handling, and I can only surmise that my handling of it early on was improper. Well, that won't be happening anymore. :)
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 21 November 2017 15:13:57(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: MacGyver467 Go to Quoted Post
Based on a few other threads I've read, the motor in later BR45s are not as good as the motor in 37450. Some people have said it's got an iron core and is different than the Maxon unit. Even though it's 30 euro, I'm not keen on trying something that others have said is different.

As a side note, I was looking at my past posts and saw when I did the rebuild of my loc after it had a particularly rough year at my job (someone kicked it by accident). I noticed a post that said I was buying a spare motor. I looked through my spare parts bin and lo and behold! I found the replacement I bought! I mounted it up and the loc works flawlessly now!

Even though I have a working model again, I'm still going to pursue getting replacement motors in case people want them state side. They are very specific motors: coreless, but with brushes. Here's a pic: http://www.robotpark.com...oreless-Motors_Part2.png

What I get from the old thread is that the coreless motors are prone to the coil warping when the motor is overloaded. An overload can happen from many different factors: train physically stopped but being told to go (this had happened with mine quite a few times), running at full speed then forcing an emergency stop, etc. These motors require proper handling, and I can only surmise that my handling of it early on was improper. Well, that won't be happening anymore. :)

I'm glad you had a spare after all.

I wouldn't nail my colours to the Maxon mast if I were you. In my previous job as a broadcast engineer we used Maxon motors in a telecine multiplexer. We eventually had to source motors from another company as the Maxons had such a short working life! They might be very efficient, but in certain applications they have a habit of burning out very quickly compared to other types of motor.

I thought you may have been interested in the motor that Marklin themselves have chosen to replace the Maxon in this type of loco. I didn't realise you had already discarded that option.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 21 November 2017 18:19:39(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: MacGyver467 Go to Quoted Post

As a second path, I emailed my local Maxon rep who said he sent an inquiry to the factory to see if they still make them.

So here's my question: If I can get them from Maxon again, are there any other people who want/need these motors? It's Marklin part number E212528.

As an alternative, if maxxon cannot source a new motor, I would ask if they can refurbish the old ones. They may not be able to supply a new one as it may be built to Marklins drawings (special shaft length, gear fitted, various other possible options). If they can refurbish it then if you still have the other old one I would see if they can do both.

But if they can, it may be uneconomical to do so ...