Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline XIV  
#1 Posted : 18 November 2017 17:58:15(UTC)
XIV

Mexico   
Hello!
I'm going to back home for Christmas and I want to bring with me some of my locos and wagons, and I'm wondering if it's possible to bring them within my carry on board luggage (some of them are made from steel). Have any of you ever done something similar? Did you experience any trouble? Confused

Thank you
Offline ocram63_uk  
#2 Posted : 18 November 2017 18:25:51(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Hi I did this a couple of times, traveling by plane within Italy. Security guards were more fascinated by the locos seen with the xrays than anything else. Once they asked me to remove them from the trolley and place them on the conveyor belt to see them better.

This said every airport has its own regulations, every country is different from the other, independently of what aviation security rules dictate and certainlly you do not want to start arguing with these people!!!
I speak out of experience doing around 60 / 70 flight a year within Europe. I believe that as long as you keep the number of items to a minimum, 3 or 4, nothing strange should happen. To play it safe put the suitcase in the hold and you will be safe BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
Offline HO Collector  
#3 Posted : 18 November 2017 19:59:20(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   
Yes, did it several times on international flights, not a problem. Just tell the security person that you have metal model trains inside you hand luggage. Once I even had a sword in my hold luggage, it was removed and was given to the pilots. Got it back few days later.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by HO Collector
Offline xxup  
#4 Posted : 18 November 2017 22:22:07(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
On the other hand, some years ago I was bringing home a Meccano Spitfire for Miss 18 (when she was ten) and it was nearly confiscated by one idiot who had no idea what Meccano was. Fortunately, the more senior guy, who DID know Meccano) intervened and allowed me to take it on board. Since then everything goes into the baggage hold and I go on board with the absolute minimum in my hands. This was a simple domestic flight!
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Tom Jessop  
#5 Posted : 18 November 2017 22:41:01(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   
A few trips to Europe found a heavy search of hand luggage at Frankfurt [FRA] . Twice I have been pulled aside & directed to a room where a chemical scan was conducted on the Marklin I had brought but didn't worry about anything else . One other time our baggage was searched at the gate & it was mainly the Trains that was looked at by the guys on the Xray machine . Expect rough handling especially when they open the packets each item is held in , Instead of going thru all of this again we have packed all the items in our main luggage wrapped in clothing & towels etc for safe travel in the general baggage area on the flights .

Cheers Tom in Oz .
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline Leitner  
#6 Posted : 18 November 2017 23:26:25(UTC)
Leitner

Taiwan, Province Of China   
I moved my train collection from a country to another all with hand baggage, plus I do an average of 100 flights per year all over the world....

Don't worry, just put the train in your hand baggage or, for the sake of simplicity, in a plastic bag and you'll be fine, most likely you'll be asked to check it but... Well, in Milan Linate airport at a certain point I came to be known as "the train guy" :)
Ep. III (My layout is set in 1962).
I collect mainly DSB, DB and SBB but I'm quite... Open minded.
I'm quite a big collector of NOHAB lok :)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Leitner
Offline manou  
#7 Posted : 18 November 2017 23:58:19(UTC)
manou

Greece   
Not over a month ago, i traveled from Berlin Tegel with my carry on bag full of "goodies". No problem at all .
Best Regards
Yannis
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by manou
Offline hxmiesa  
#8 Posted : 20 November 2017 12:35:05(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
The airport security guys comes in all forms and shapes...
Once, I had a set of mid-sized Allen-keys confiscated, while AFTER the security-checkpoint you could order a steak in a restaurant, and keep the steel knife to yourself! Go figure...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Harvey  
#9 Posted : 21 November 2017 00:08:26(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
I feel it is correct to say that each country has their own regs and each security person has their own personality. And so, anything can happen. I once brought to the US a large amount of M track from Zurich. Carried on board in a large carry on bag. The security official said they could not make out the objects and so I was asked to open the bag and empty some of the contents. Other than the few minute delay, no issue. People seemed nice. Now, in London, if you have even a small container of liquid and it is not on top of you luggage in a see through bag ..... they ask you to empty the entire luggage.

Harvey
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Harvey
Offline XIV  
#10 Posted : 26 November 2017 22:18:50(UTC)
XIV

Mexico   
Thank you for your answers... I think I'm going to bring with me the most expensive models and cross my fingers.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by XIV
Offline river6109  
#11 Posted : 27 November 2017 03:54:37(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: XIV Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for your answers... I think I'm going to bring with me the most expensive models and cross my fingers.

some countries have import duty and a limit of how much you can bring into the country, value wise

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline sjbartels  
#12 Posted : 27 November 2017 04:07:08(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
I carried some I purchased last year in the Netherlands back to the US in my hand luggage and no problems at all, except for one Dutch security agent who wanted to take a peek (in the good way). I bought my old ones back to the US when I went home to Australia a few years ago without any issue either. If you were to travel without the original packaging that would certainly remove any potential "commercial goods" problems you might encounter, but I had original packaging last time and didn't seem to be an issue at all.
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sjbartels