Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline darticus  
#1 Posted : 03 November 2017 20:46:09(UTC)
darticus

Anyone use any of the lighted signal for the Marklin Z scale trains. Do they connect easily and work without problems. Is there certain signals to use in certain places on the layout? Anyone know anything about using signals they look nice and would like to try some on this layout. Thanks Ron20171014_6 arrows.JPG
Offline Minok  
#2 Posted : 03 November 2017 21:40:18(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Signals in prototype are located at the entry and exit of a station to control each of the tracks where one changes track or merges onto an outbound track.
Also along the runs where there might be speed restrictions or where a single line of track is shared for example.

If you have such things on your layout model, putting some signals there would be usefull. Ex where you have that station looking area near the right-pointing arrow. Also where the turnouts allow transition from the inside loop to the outside loop. The figure 8 is totally disconnected from the rest of the layout it appears, so it doesn't really need signals.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline darticus  
#3 Posted : 04 November 2017 15:14:18(UTC)
darticus

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
Signals in prototype are located at the entry and exit of a station to control each of the tracks where one changes track or merges onto an outbound track.
Also along the runs where there might be speed restrictions or where a single line of track is shared for example.

If you have such things on your layout model, putting some signals there would be usefull. Ex where you have that station looking area near the right-pointing arrow. Also where the turnouts allow transition from the inside loop to the outside loop. The figure 8 is totally disconnected from the rest of the layout it appears, so it doesn't really need signals.

Thanks thats a great help as I new nothing. All the different shapes of Marklin signals are confusing. Do you use whatever you like or do they go by years or what? Where my two tracks meet should have some type of light or maybe a semaphore I don't know. As you say at the station a light or something should be installed. Maybe a pic with numbers would help. Thanks Ron

Edited by moderator 06 November 2017 07:22:39(UTC)  | Reason: remove repeated image

Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 04 November 2017 20:29:50(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Marklin do a signal book which explains where signals should be placed. I believe it can be downloaded from some sites.

A bit of searching might be helpful here.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Minok  
#5 Posted : 05 November 2017 07:59:55(UTC)
Minok

United States   
The semaphores are for older eras think steam, while the lights are modern think electric (post 1960) but mixing is ok as semaphores still exist today o think on some special lines. Do what tomorrow like the best. For a semaphore there is a light equivalent.

For the main lines there are the main signals and the distance signals. The distance signals are just used as a warning about what the main signal just up the track will indicate. If you don't have a long run or signals just inside/around a turn or otherwise not visible easily then the distance signals don't make much use/sense but again do what you find appealing. The light based signals the distance ones are the diagonal arranged lights. The main signals are the vertical light panels. Sometimes a distance signal (for a subsequent man signal) can be on a mast for the current main signal. There are semaphore equivalents to these light signals. Then there are the switching yard signals. And finally the special main signal panels that are platform/station exit signals (which might have switching related lights (white) on them As well - so while it may signal that it's a stop to not leave it may allow limited switching operations to reposition a locomotive within the station. That's the main 4 categories I think.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline Carim  
#6 Posted : 05 November 2017 11:42:44(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
This site might be of some interest http://www.polar.sunynas...u/~fanellis/signals.html

Carim
Offline Wal  
#7 Posted : 06 November 2017 03:12:56(UTC)
Wal

Australia   
Hello Ron,

I have working signals on my Z layout. I have a long length of track which blocked and automated by the use of contact tracks and relays. These relays (8945) not only control the electrical supply to a block of track, but they also control the signals changing from green to red when the train passes over the contact track.

There is lots of useful info on the guidetozscale.com web site. From the main menu click on the menu link to the guide to z scale. then electrical then signals and also Automatic operation.

For simplicity I am only using the 89391 signals as they don't require a higher voltage to operate (which requires a different transformer) and they also only have three wires (one for red, one for green and power/earth)
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Wal
Offline cookee_nz  
#8 Posted : 06 November 2017 07:35:29(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Out of curiosity Ron, any reason you could not have the controller outside the layout?

it would open it up a little and depending how you like it you might then look to bringing all the track and turnout wiring down through the base board and to then look at some simple scenery or structures to add.

When you are starting out it's easy having all the wiring exposed like that to help understand how everything connects and for troubleshooting and for experimenting.

As they often say, "less is more". Cool

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image