Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Tex  
#1 Posted : 22 October 2017 21:16:21(UTC)
Tex

United States   

Need some help

I purchased two 74391 block signals and two 74380 distance signals along with a 72751 control box for my layout. They were much less expensive than 764XX signals and appeared to be adequate for my needs. The manual that came with the signals states that they were to be used with a 66361 type power supply , however, I planned to use them with my current Marklin transformers. The 72751 control box has a plug in feed with four wires colored yellow, black , orange and red. I am inclined to use the yellow and black feed wires to connect to my transformer but the manual for the 72751 control box gives no information on which wires to use. Has anybody used these signals on their layout ?

TexConfused
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 23 October 2017 08:01:55(UTC)
H0

Hi, Tex,

All you need to know was published in Märklin Magazin - at least in German. Cool It seems you need orange (+) and black (-). Yellow would be "brown" of the track power. Märklin have simple colour schemes for the wires. Too bad there are so many colour schemes.
Naïve to except such vital information in the manual.

And no, I haven't used those signals yet.

Link to German PDF:
http://www.railroad24.de...94333-09062820122250.pdf
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Tex  
#3 Posted : 23 October 2017 20:21:24(UTC)
Tex

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Tex,

All you need to know was published in Märklin Magazin - at least in German. Cool It seems you need orange (+) and black (-). Yellow would be "brown" of the track power. Märklin have simple colour schemes for the wires. Too bad there are so many colour schemes.

Link to German PDF:

Thank you Tom. The hook up will be colorful. My track power is black and red because black wire is easier to obtain than brown. the transformer for lighting and solenoids has yellow and green wire. I therefor need to attach my yellow wire to the orange wire, my green wire to the black wire, my red wire to the red wire and my black wire to the yellow wire.

On a lighter note I feel that these new signals will be popular in the years to come because of cost and appearance. I would have saved a lot of money if they had been available when I started adding signals. I like that the block and distance signals change together with one touch of a button. . The only problem is that the signals only show go or stop, however, on my layout that is all that is really important.

Tex

Offline xxup  
#4 Posted : 23 October 2017 23:37:46(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I use these signals, but use an IEK 040704-15 signal decoder so that the computer (or the eCos) can change the signals for me..

Here is the blurb in German text:
"Der digitale Signaldecoder für Lichtsignale, SIG-DEC Hobby, hat 4 x 2 ansteuerbare Ausgänge, die zum Umschalten von vier Haupt- und Vorsignalen oder vier Gleissperrsignalen benutzt werden können. Der Lichtwechsel hier erfolgt vorbildgerecht “weich“ um so das sanfte Aufglimmen sowie Verlöschen einer Glühlampe zu imitieren. Neben der Signalumschaltung verfügt der Decoder über die Möglichkeit der Zugbeeinflussung durch Abschalten des Bahnstromes vor dem Signal bei Stellung Halt

Der Decoder kann gleichwohl digital wie auch analog umgeschaltet werden. Neben der digitalen Möglichkeit mit einem Keyboard, Computer o.ä lässt sich der Decoder auch mittels eines Stellpultes, z.B. MÄ 7271 / 7272, das nach Masse schaltet, umschalten. Ebenso kann die Umschaltung durch den fahrenden Zug, z.B. mit Reedkontakten, Schaltgleisen oder Gleisbesetztmeldern die nach Masse schalten, erfolgen.

Can control 4 two aspect hobby signals."

Google translate:
"The digital signal decoder for light signals, SIG-DEC Hobby, has 4 x 2 controllable outputs, which can be used to switch between four main and distant signals or four track interlock signals. The light exchange here takes place "soft" so as to imitate the gentle glow-up or extinction of an incandescent lamp. In addition to the signal switching, the decoder has the possibility of the train influencing by switching off the path current before the signal at the position stop

The decoder can be switched both digitally and analogue. Besides the digital possibility with a keyboard, computer or the like, the decoder can also be controlled by means of a control desk, e.g. MÄ 7271/7272, which switches to ground. Also, the switching by the traveling train, e.g. with reed contacts, switching tracks or track occupancy detectors which switch to ground."

Their website is http://www.iek.de

I have had it since 2014, when I purchased it from Nifty Nev around the time of his relocation sale..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 23 October 2017 23:49:47(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Tex Go to Quoted Post

Thank you Tom. The hook up will be colorful. My track power is black and red because black wire is easier to obtain than brown. the transformer for lighting and solenoids has yellow and green wire. I therefor need to attach my yellow wire to the orange wire, my green wire to the black wire, my red wire to the red wire and my black wire to the yellow wire.

This sounds a bit like the story told by an electrician who did a furlough in India where he went with the intention of maintaining the school electrical system that badly needed work. He found that any piece of wire would be used to extend another piece, with the result that the phase wire leaving the fuse board would probably have gone through the whole gamut of wire colours commonly used for house wiring by the time it reached the intended destination power outlet.

He ended up rewiring the whole place so at least you knew that the wire gauge was correct for the required current capacity, and that the colour was consistent and correct over the whole wiring run.

And then there was the circuit breakers, but that was another story.

Offline Tex  
#6 Posted : 24 October 2017 19:54:28(UTC)
Tex

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Tex,

Link to German PDF:

Ran a test using my transformer and all lights went on and could not be changed with buttons . Changed to 12 volt DC for the orange and black input wires using an old power pack and it worked like a charm.

Tex BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tex