Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jcrtrains  
#1 Posted : 21 October 2017 15:51:04(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
Folks;

We will be having a Marklin-users meeting at my layout from 12 - 4 pm November 25. Lunch will be provided. Please let me know availability.

Thank you
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline Roland  
#2 Posted : 21 October 2017 20:54:58(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
Won't know until a bit closer to the date but I hope to be able to attend ThumpUp
My Layout Build | Märklin CS3+ | K-track | Merkur | Viessmann | LDT | iTrain | Modeling DB + SBB
Offline Crazy Harry  
#3 Posted : 21 October 2017 22:27:36(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
November 25 doesn't work for me - family function. Sorry,

Harold.
Offline baggio  
#4 Posted : 10 November 2017 01:19:02(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I'll be there; but if you want to change the date, I may be able to make that date as well.

What do you want us to bring to contribute to the lunch?
Offline michelvr  
#5 Posted : 10 November 2017 01:23:38(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
November 25 doesn't work for me - family function.

Sorry!

Michel

Offline jcrtrains  
#6 Posted : 10 November 2017 22:22:42(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
There are a number of folks with conflicts on Nov 25th. Does Dec 2nd work better?
Offline michelvr  
#7 Posted : 10 November 2017 23:27:41(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: jcrtrains Go to Quoted Post
There are a number of folks with conflicts on Nov 25th. Does Dec 2nd work better?

December 2nd works for me! Count me in.

Michel
Offline baggio  
#8 Posted : 11 November 2017 01:33:31(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Dec 2 is good for me.

Dec 25, not so good. LOL
Offline Roland  
#9 Posted : 11 November 2017 17:14:10(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
Hoping to drop in for an hour or so with my son (if that's ok?) as my wife will be working that day.

Cheers
Roland
My Layout Build | Märklin CS3+ | K-track | Merkur | Viessmann | LDT | iTrain | Modeling DB + SBB
Offline jcrtrains  
#10 Posted : 12 November 2017 00:25:13(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Roland Go to Quoted Post
Hoping to drop in for an hour or so with my son (if that's ok?) as my wife will be working that day.

Cheers
Roland

Sounds good. Start them young!
Offline Crazy Harry  
#11 Posted : 14 November 2017 00:52:53(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
December 2nd works for me as well! Looking forward to it.

Harold.
Offline baggio  
#12 Posted : 28 November 2017 01:45:41(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: jcrtrains Go to Quoted Post
Folks;

We will be having a Marklin-users meeting at my layout from 12 - 4 pm November 25. Lunch will be provided. Please let me know availability.

Thank you

Are we still on for Dec 2? Same time?

What shall we bring to help with the lunch?

RSVP asap.
Offline jcrtrains  
#13 Posted : 28 November 2017 02:02:44(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
Absolutely. Noon to 4 pm. Lunch at about 1 pm ish. No need to bring anything. Except your E 636. And anything else you want to run

Looking forward to it.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline baggio  
#14 Posted : 28 November 2017 03:50:48(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hi, Jon:

I forgot you are a 2 rail guy ThumpUp

I'll bring my Roco steamer as well - analogue OhMyGod and some vino.

See you Saturday.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline baggio  
#15 Posted : 03 December 2017 04:22:29(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Thank you, Jon, for a great afternoon of trains and lunch. ThumpUp BigGrin

Your catenery line is really impressive and professionally installed. A pleasure to watch when the trains go by. Love
(The fact that there is no power yet, did not take away from the fun.)

I have no pictures to show, but am sure that either Michel or Frank will put up a few.

Silvano

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline baggio  
#16 Posted : 04 December 2017 02:35:28(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Here are the pictures - courtesy of Michel BigGrin ThumpUp

The first five show off Jon's catenery and his whole great layout.

The second last picture is of Jon (on the right) and Michel.

The last picture is of Frank and myself (with the red sweater)

Jon's layot - 1-.jpgJon's layot - 2-.jpgJon's layot - 3-.jpgJon's layot - 4-.jpgJon's layot -5-.jpgMichel and Jon.jpgFrank and Silvano.jpg

thanks 8 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline Thewolf  
#17 Posted : 04 December 2017 16:09:19(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Great layout and cool gang Cool

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline jcrtrains  
#18 Posted : 04 December 2017 22:37:23(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
Very cool gang. Thanks for coming all. Nothing like an afternoon of talking/ thinking nothing but trains!
Offline Thewolf  
#19 Posted : 04 December 2017 23:34:33(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Hi all Cool

In the future I want to visit miniatureland.ca, because our friend and mine Mike (Westend trains) is one the sponsors.

This trip will be my first trip when I shall be officially retired,...in 2020. Sorry if the belgian gouvernment works as a snail or a tortoisef for the happiness of her citizens established outside Europe...maybe a meeting at this occasion

Thewolf

Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline Marcus01  
#20 Posted : 03 July 2018 06:25:21(UTC)
Marcus01

New Zealand   
Hi Toronto Marklin Users!
My name is Mark and I am a New Zealander about to come in live in Toronto for 2.5 years on an overseas secondment with my company. I am an avid Marklin collector and have a 10 year old son who is pretty fanatical about all things Marklin. We leave NZ in a month and Im making some decisions about how much of my collection to bring / store in NZ? Im not intending to bring a layout per se, but I was curious whether at your get together's whether you bring items to run on other peoples layouts? Is there an active club that people belong to, or do you organise more informal get togethers? Would like to get involved with a local group and stay connected with Marklin people while im away from home, so any information you can give me would be cool!. Cheers Mark
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Marcus01
Offline baggio  
#21 Posted : 03 July 2018 12:47:53(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Welcome to Toronto, Mark! BigGrin

I think you and your family will enjoy your time here - it will be a change from what you are used to and not just in terms of trains.

If you send me a private message, I will provide you with my e-mail address and I will be happy to give you info as to what you can expect here in Toronto.

The model trains get-togethers that take place are very informal and normally you can bring locos to try on the host's layout. There may be one coming up over the summer.

Keep in mind that Canada and the US are mainly 2-rail users. So, the local shops are usually not going to be able to help you with Marklin gear.

HOWEVER, we are very fortunate to have here in Toronto one Marklin dealer with a real brick and mortar shop and therefore access to everything Marklin has to offer. The place is called Westend Trains and its owner, Mike, will be happy to look after you, both in terms of sales and service of locos. Below I set out the website of the store.

There is also another store, John's Hobbies, that sells Marklin gear, at least for now. However, it does not offer service to the locos. I also set out their website below.

Take care and don't be a stranger on this forum.

Silvano

Westend Trains

John's Hobbies

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline mike c  
#22 Posted : 04 July 2018 03:19:06(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Marcus01 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Toronto Marklin Users!
My name is Mark and I am a New Zealander about to come in live in Toronto for 2.5 years on an overseas secondment with my company. I am an avid Marklin collector and have a 10 year old son who is pretty fanatical about all things Marklin. We leave NZ in a month and Im making some decisions about how much of my collection to bring / store in NZ? Im not intending to bring a layout per se, but I was curious whether at your get together's whether you bring items to run on other peoples layouts? Is there an active club that people belong to, or do you organise more informal get togethers? Would like to get involved with a local group and stay connected with Marklin people while im away from home, so any information you can give me would be cool!. Cheers Mark

I can't comment on what goes on in Toronto because I am 500km away in Montreal.
What I can add to this discussion is the experience that I have from the time when my Dad took the family to Switzerland when he was on sabbatical at his alma mater (ETH).

If you are bringing your trains, you will have to declare them with Canada Customs. There should be a brochure available online that sets out the amount of goods that you can bring with you.

My suggestion is that you might find it easier to leave most or all of your trains at home (or bring a minimal amount) and to purchase a Start Set in Canada for enjoyment during your stay. You will be able to enjoy the trains and possibly add to your collection and you can then bring them home when you return to NZ at the end of your stay.
If you are bringing a number of trains (locomotives and cars), make sure that they are safely packed for the trip and that they are properly registered for insurance purposes.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc...-voyage/mrc-drc-eng.html
https://www.canada.ca/en...ntry/bringing-goods.html

I think that hobby items are ok, but new goods in boxes might be subject to applicable tax and duty.

Have a good time in Toronto.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Crazy Harry  
#23 Posted : 04 July 2018 03:33:36(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Hi Mark,

Welcome to Toronto. Let us know when you actually get here, at least we can get together to discuss Marklin over some kind of beverage!

Silvano and Mike have given you good information. Most of the Marklin users here have gone digital so if you want to run something on someones layout here, it should be digital. If you plan on setting up a small layout for yourself, please note that the mains voltage here is 110V and the frequency is 60Hz and that applies to any other appliances as well (of course you probably already know that!).

Cheers,

Harold.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Crazy Harry
Offline TEEWolf  
#24 Posted : 04 July 2018 04:13:50(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
I'll be there; but if you want to change the date, I may be able to make that date as well.

What do you want us to bring to contribute to the lunch?

No question for an Italian!

Not the ETR 400 "Frecciarossa 1000"

https://www.hochgeschwin...com/italien/etr-1000.php

only the PPT!RollEyes

A Pasta-Pizza-Train with an extra tank wagon for EspressoSmile
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline baggio  
#25 Posted : 04 July 2018 04:29:06(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I forgot one important thing, Mark, just in case you did not know it: in Canada and the US we drive on the right.

If you are not used to it, this can be a problem, not just for the drivers but also for pedestrians who may look the wrong way for oncoming cars.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline TEEWolf  
#26 Posted : 05 July 2018 03:15:16(UTC)
TEEWolf

I forgot one important thing, Mark, just in case you did not know it: in Canada and the US we drive on the right.

If you are not used to it, this can be a problem, not just for the drivers but also for pedestrians who may look the wrong way for oncoming cars.

Indeed, I remember my problems by my first bike rides in Bournemouth, GB, about 50 years ago. It was horrible how many cars were using the wrong side of the road.BigGrin
Offline baggio  
#27 Posted : 05 July 2018 03:55:11(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
"Indeed, I remember my problems by my first bike rides in Bournemouth, GB, about 50 years ago. It was horrible how many cars were using the wrong side of the road."

You may not believe it, but they STILL drive on the wrong side of the road! LOL
Offline TEEWolf  
#28 Posted : 05 July 2018 04:25:22(UTC)
TEEWolf

"Indeed, I remember my problems by my first bike rides in Bournemouth, GB, about 50 years ago. It was horrible how many cars were using the wrong side of the road."

You may not believe it, but they STILL drive on the wrong side of the road! LOL

Scared And somebody told me at these days, all the cars have this GB label on it, because it stands for "Getting Better". Does not sound like they do.Smile
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Marcus01  
#29 Posted : 09 July 2018 07:08:46(UTC)
Marcus01

New Zealand   

THanks!! Haha... i have been to Toronto twice in the last few months to find a house etc. i was amazed that the police let you do 120km on the 407... I was doing 115km and lots of people were overtaking me! Drove around for a week and didn’t crash once.... came close one night turning left at a traffic light (the inclination is to keep left and head into the traffic)...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Marcus01
Offline Marcus01  
#30 Posted : 09 July 2018 07:10:46(UTC)
Marcus01

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Crazy Harry Go to Quoted Post
Hi Mark,

Welcome to Toronto. Let us know when you actually get here, at least we can get together to discuss Marklin over some kind of beverage!

Silvano and Mike have given you good information. Most of the Marklin users here have gone digital so if you want to run something on someones layout here, it should be digital. If you plan on setting up a small layout for yourself, please note that the mains voltage here is 110V and the frequency is 60Hz and that applies to any other appliances as well (of course you probably already know that!).

Cheers,

Harold.

Hi Harry - thanks and absolultely would be great to catch up for a drink and a chat. I’m arriving early August so hope to have the family all settled by Sept. I will send you a PM and get in touch with you... Cheers Mark

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Marcus01
Offline QQQ1970  
#31 Posted : 10 July 2018 05:13:51(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
I am interested. Please keep me posted.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by QQQ1970
Offline Mark5  
#32 Posted : 11 October 2018 18:43:46(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
So glad you folks have kept the Toronto meetings alive!....are you meeting again this year?

Would love to meet myself but looking for others in Montreal that would like to meet sometime.

Have been absent from the forum for over a year but did get a lot of questions when a certain M-Users crate was seen lifted on a crane at our recent train show at Sun Youth 's Montreal Model Train Exhibition.

Mark in Montreal
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline michelvr  
#33 Posted : 12 October 2018 16:17:53(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post
So glad you folks have kept the Toronto meetings alive!....are you meeting again this year?

Would love to meet myself but looking for others in Montreal that would like to meet sometime.

Have been absent from the forum for over a year but did get a lot of questions when a certain M-Users crate was seen lifted on a crane at our recent train show at Sun Youth 's Montreal Model Train Exhibition.

Mark in Montreal

Hello Mark,

Long time no see but that can all change as I recently mentioned to Harold, "Maybe we should get together before the snow flies!"

Michel

Edited by user 12 October 2018 22:06:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline QQQ1970  
#34 Posted : 14 April 2019 15:05:51(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Any plans for another meet?
Offline jcrtrains  
#35 Posted : 14 April 2019 15:31:56(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
I will have another one in the late fall. My thoughts are like many at this time of year, turning more to gardening prep than trains.

Thanks
Offline michelvr  
#36 Posted : 14 April 2019 15:41:40(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
I'd love to hoist a Marklin-users.net get together in June so I’ll post an invitation on the forum.

Michel
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline baggio  
#37 Posted : 14 April 2019 16:47:24(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hi, Michel:

I would love to come. I can't make it the first weekend in June. If you can pick any other weekend in June that would work for me.

Thank you. BigGrin