Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline strummer  
#1 Posted : 20 October 2017 01:21:32(UTC)
strummer

United States   
Been a little quiet around here lately; perhaps this will generate some discussion.

I currently have (4) Marklin locos; (2) #8800, the #8875, and this #8899. All the other 3 run in the same direction, but the 8899, although it runs REALLY well, runs in the opposite.

I know if you take apart a loco, and flip the motor, this will happen; but in the case of this engine, the motor housing will only slide onto the frame one way (see attachment), so I don't see how it would have been possible for me to have reassembled it incorrectly when I first got it and had to take it down to address the "HOS".

Any ideas?

Mark in Oregon

IMG_20171019_155124061.jpg
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 20 October 2017 06:29:46(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: strummer Go to Quoted Post
Been a little quiet around here lately; perhaps this will generate some discussion.

I currently have (4) Marklin locos; (2) #8800, the #8875, and this #8899. All the other 3 run in the same direction, but the 8899, although it runs REALLY well, runs in the opposite.

I know if you take apart a loco, and flip the motor, this will happen; but in the case of this engine, the motor housing will only slide onto the frame one way (see attachment), so I don't see how it would have been possible for me to have reassembled it incorrectly when I first got it and had to take it down to address the "HOS".

Any ideas?

Mark in Oregon

Hi Mark, my thoughts.....

If you reverse the track polarity does it then go the right direction?

If so, I think it may possibly be as simple as removing all the wheels and swap them side for side.

The 'flipping' of the motor, can on some models be achieved also by 'flipping' the wheels.

One side is insulated and feeds to the motor via the wipers, the other side may "earth" through the frame.

Have the wheels ever been removed? It may not even be possible to do what I suggest on this model and the image does not have enough detail but does seem to show one wiper each for the front and rear wheel set, pity it does not show the other side.

Or (this may sound crazy) it's possible this Loco is actually the correct one and the other three have their wheels in flipped over. Especially if they are all Diesel or Elok without coupling rods AND have been taken apart before.

I'd need to inspect one of these to see if my theory/suggestion holds any water but just a couple of ideas.
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline strummer  
#3 Posted : 20 October 2017 19:12:51(UTC)
strummer

United States   
Wow, you may be right. Huh

As I mentioned I did have to take this full apart to free up all the gears, so I guess what you suggest may in fact be the reason.

Gee...since it was such a chore to get all those wheels and gears back in sync the first time, I may just learn to live with it for now.

Thanks for the input, I do appreciate it.

Mark in Oregon
Offline zscalehobo  
#4 Posted : 20 October 2017 21:16:30(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
The wheels backward issue would be easily observed ... the driving rods have a point that points down and two holes that are oriented up. If you swap the wheels or install that 6-wheel wheelset backwards, this feature will be upside-down. I'm doubting this is the case since you'd also observe binding in that moving rod's feature against other fixed parts that protrude from the top of the chassis while running.

My thought was that it could be a factory boo-boo in that the magnet embedded into the outer motor housing is oriented incorrectly.
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
Offline strummer  
#5 Posted : 21 October 2017 01:11:22(UTC)
strummer

United States   
Frank

As usual, it appears that you are correct. The "valve gear" (side rods) are indeed in their proper orientation, so you're probably right.

It seems I have what a former boss used to call an "anomaly". Thanks for weighing in before I took the d*mn thing apart again! Smile

Mark in Oregon
Offline strummer  
#6 Posted : 22 October 2017 20:34:34(UTC)
strummer

United States   
...speaking of "taking the d*mn thing apart again"... Smile

I was running this last night, when all of a sudden it came to a stop; I could hear the motor spinning, but no movement.

So first thing this morning I did indeed disassemble the thing; nothing really jumped out at me as far as an issue, until I started to put it back together...

...I noticed that the motor unit seemed to be angled slightly up and away from the frame; in fact, I couldn't get the motor mounting screw to engage the frame to secure it. It seems the tab on the bottom of the motor housing was not seating itself fully into the frame, so it was causing the whole assembly to be lifted just enough to dis-engage the worm from the worm gear. I ended up having to ever so slightly file off a bit of the "tab" material so it would then drop down and seat itself properly into the frame. It now runs fine as before.

Why this would suddenly became an issue I have no clue; just thought I'd pass it on...

Mark in Oregon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by strummer