Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Kapalua  
#1 Posted : 16 October 2017 16:03:46(UTC)
Kapalua

Denmark   
I just bought my first Roco 79373 Digital AC Locomotive and to my surprise, the Loco sounds work on Marklin Analog Layout.
Runs very smooth, so first impressions is very positive. Too bad the loco body is made of plastic although quite detailed.

Marklin of course is my passion but I will try and buy other makes. Next maybe a HAG.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Kapalua
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#2 Posted : 20 October 2017 19:10:49(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
The only non-Maerklin AC locomotive I have is a Fleischmann E19 (84911) I purchased a number of years back. Despite the plastic body, the detail is superb and the running capability equally so. Of course, I do worry about the life expectancy of the motor, but when I figure it'll probably outlive me, I worry less ;)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Eurobahnfan
Offline Kapalua  
#3 Posted : 20 October 2017 20:24:23(UTC)
Kapalua

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: Eurobahnfan Go to Quoted Post
The only non-Maerklin AC locomotive I have is a Fleischmann E19 (84911) I purchased a number of years back. Despite the plastic body, the detail is superb and the running capability equally so. Of course, I do worry about the life expectancy of the motor, but when I figure it'll probably outlive me, I worry less ;)

I just got my second Roco Locomotive H0 78257 NEW but with problems. The tender has the driving wheels but the main loco large wheels won't turn and I believe those are powered too but are somehow stuck.

First time to receive a New Locomotive with a fault. Also, the body is very flimsy plastic although very detailed.

Roco don't seem to have quality control in place otherwise this big fault should have been caught.
'
Offline GLI  
#4 Posted : 22 October 2017 02:00:15(UTC)
GLI

Originally Posted by: Kapalua Go to Quoted Post

I just got my second Roco Locomotive H0 78257 NEW but with problems. The tender has the driving wheels but the main loco large wheels won't turn and I believe those are powered too but are somehow stuck.

First time to receive a New Locomotive with a fault. Also, the body is very flimsy plastic although very detailed.

Roco don't seem to have quality control in place otherwise this big fault should have been caught.
'

Hi Kapalua

I have a number of Roco steam locos with tender drive. Apart from my model of the BR 57 which is tender drive only, the others have drive to two of the tender wheels as well as drive via a cardan shaft to the loco wheels.

One of the problems I have experienced (only once) is that the cardan shaft can become disconnected at the universal joint inside the cab of the loco, resulting in the symptoms you describe: the tender wheels turn but the loco wheels appear to be jammed. The wheels in the loco will not turn because of the worm drive in the loco.

The solution is to carefully insert the cardan shaft baek into the socket so it can drive the loco wheels. This is a fiddly job that requires care so that you do not damage the fine detail on the loco, but is not that difficult. I found a pair of tweezers or fine pliers useful when doing this task.

I hope that this is the cause of the problem you are experiencing with your loco, as it will avoid the need to return it to the dealer for replacement or repair. If this is the case, then it is not a quality control issue at Roco, but merely one of the characteristics of their tender driven steam locos that you need to be aware of. The problem can be avoided by remembering to pick up both the loco and the tender with two hands.

Geoff
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GLI
Offline Kapalua  
#5 Posted : 22 October 2017 12:07:16(UTC)
Kapalua

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: GLI Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Kapalua Go to Quoted Post

'

Hi Kapalua

I have a number of Roco steam locos with tender drive. Apart from my model of the BR 57 which is tender drive only, the others have drive to two of the tender wheels as well as drive via a cardan shaft to the loco wheels.

One of the problems I have experienced (only once) is that the cardan shaft can become disconnected at the universal joint inside the cab of the loco, resulting in the symptoms you describe: the tender wheels turn but the loco wheels appear to be jammed. The wheels in the loco will not turn because of the worm drive in the loco.

The solution is to carefully insert the cardan shaft baek into the socket so it can drive the loco wheels. This is a fiddly job that requires care so that you do not damage the fine detail on the loco, but is not that difficult. I found a pair of tweezers or fine pliers useful when doing this task.

I hope that this is the cause of the problem you are experiencing with your loco, as it will avoid the need to return it to the dealer for replacement or repair. If this is the case, then it is not a quality control issue at Roco, but merely one of the characteristics of their tender driven steam locos that you need to be aware of. The problem can be avoided by remembering to pick up both the loco and the tender with two hands.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,
Thank you for the detailed information on the possible fault and fix. I am not familiar at all with Roco's drive shaft and feel that I might end up breaking something if I try and do the fix myself.
I am quite capable of fixing anything Marklin and Marklin being more robust, the chances of breaking something else during the process of fixing is much less likely.
I think I will stay clear of Roco Steam Locomotives in the future. My new Roco Electric however, runs like a dream.
Just got my first HAG BLS all Metal and that one runs great too, also build quality is in par with older Marklin Locomotive, solid.
Cheers.
Daniel

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Kapalua
GLI