Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kweekalot  
#1 Posted : 10 October 2017 18:00:14(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Marklin seems to have a new quite clever advertising campaign to get new people into the digital mrr hobby.
It goes by the name: 'Deutschland sucht den Märklin Schatz' / 'Germany is looking for Märklin treasures'.

With leaflets distributed door to door in Germany and the commercial is brillant too!! ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

The public is asked to look in attics and basements for old Marklin treasures.
Found M-track can be changed for C-track with a lot of discount and such.
I read that people with 20 pieces of M-tracks and an old not working transformer received € 50 discount on a starterset or MS2.

Marco

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 13 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#2 Posted : 10 October 2017 19:34:50(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Is this real? If so its a great idea...
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline kweekalot  
#3 Posted : 10 October 2017 20:08:59(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Yes, it's very real, see also the official Marklin site here: https://www.maerklin.de/de/schatzsuche/#top

On some mrr forums this is discussed very extensively for the last 2 weeks or so.

I found it strange that there was no such topic here on M-U. Confused
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#4 Posted : 10 October 2017 21:41:28(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Well done marklin! I hope the incentives are good enough to get people to swap over to new track/gear/digital conversions
SBB Era 2-5
Offline waltklatt  
#5 Posted : 10 October 2017 22:04:26(UTC)
waltklatt

United States   
Perhaps a bit further for the new ideas is to have a trainset that is controlled by your smartphones, rather than the clumsy trafos.
Offline xxup  
#6 Posted : 10 October 2017 23:04:15(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Bah Humbug! They will be taking my M-track from my cold dead hands. Cursing No way I am replacing my classic track for that plastic rubbish. Double Bah Humbug!
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline cookee_nz  
#7 Posted : 11 October 2017 01:33:17(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kweekalot Go to Quoted Post
Yes, it's very real, see also the official Marklin site here: https://www.maerklin.de/de/schatzsuche/#top

On some mrr forums this is discussed very extensively for the last 2 weeks or so.

I found it strange that there was no such topic here on M-U. Confused

That's weird, I heard about this a few weeks ago, and I would have sworn it was here but perhaps it was one of the Deutsche forums I occasionally glance over.

Either way it's an awesome promotion.

Wonder what they do with the old track, especially if it's still in good condition? - I guess they would recycle it with the intention of getting as much of it out of circulation as they can.

And I do wonder what 'treasures' may yet surface? - you can just imagine them reluctantly giving a modest discount coupon to trade in your 7-piece ST800 (Green or Blue) toward a new 'starter-set - Scared
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline kweekalot  
#8 Posted : 11 October 2017 06:57:13(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

That's weird, I heard about this a few weeks ago, and I would have sworn it was here but perhaps it was one of the Deutsche forums I occasionally glance over.

Steve, maybe you are mistaken with episode 86 of Marklin TV where this campaign also appeared (2:45 - 4:45).

Wonder what they do with the old track, especially if it's still in good condition? - I guess they would recycle it with the intention of getting as much of it out of circulation as they can.

And I do wonder what 'treasures' may yet surface? - you can just imagine them reluctantly giving a modest discount coupon to trade in your 7-piece ST800 (Green or Blue) toward a new 'starter-set - Scared

Maybe Marklin need more stuff for the Marklin museum ?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline Pmare4  
#9 Posted : 11 October 2017 08:11:49(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
I guess they would recycle it with the intention of getting as much of it out of circulation as they can.

Exactly right. According to someone on the Alte-Modellbahnen forum:

"Die abgelieferten M-Gleise werden der Verschrottung zugeführt, die gäbe es ja schließlich weiterhin zu hauf auf ebay und Börsen zu kaufen."

Translation:
The delivered M Tracks are sent for scrapping, so that they will finally become too expensive to buy on Ebay or at swapmeets.

regards
Peter
Peter
Collecting vintage Märklin from 1935-1970, also Hornby O Gauge
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Pmare4
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 11 October 2017 10:55:32(UTC)
H0

Hi!
I read that people with 20 pieces of M-tracks and an old not working transformer received € 50 discount on a starterset or MS2.
That's a good deal - for Märklin.
You can return your tracks and transformers and get a €50 discount on the RRP at participating dealers.
Or you can order on the Internet and get #29000 with a €50 discount below RRP without returning tracks and transformer.

Clever marketing campaign that may lead to some new customers, but probably not attractive outside Germany and not attractive for active MRR fans who compare prices on the web.

I remember the day when you could get a grey transformer for €50 instead of €100 RRP on returning a blue transformer.
I kept my blue transformer and bought a starter set with grey transformer for €50 or €55 or so, thus having getting a train for free.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 11 October 2017 17:05:06(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Is this real? If so its a great idea...

Definitely real, they had several stands in the various marquees and the main hall at the IMA promoting this. Problem was all the information was in german and I couldn't find any english speaker to expalin it.

Must dig out some old M track and a 280 transformer that I have. Would be worth taking it to a dealer for that sort of discount.

Offline kweekalot  
#12 Posted : 11 October 2017 18:43:19(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
You can return your tracks and transformers and get a €50 discount on the RRP at participating dealers.
Or you can order on the Internet and get #29000 with a €50 discount below RRP without returning tracks and transformer.

For 20 M-tracks and a transformer you get € 70 discount on the 29000 mobile station start set, so € 99 instead of € 169, that seems good to me, or are some e-shops still cheaper ?

UserPostedImage

Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#13 Posted : 11 October 2017 19:16:47(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
I think some of you are over-analysing the pricing component. The point of this is to get the old trains out, and whether you keep them or trade into newer track/systems you are re-engaging or starting back up in the hobby. Trade in or not this keeps the hobby (and marklin's business) alive...
SBB Era 2-5
Offline MaerklinLife  
#14 Posted : 11 October 2017 19:19:14(UTC)
MaerklinLife

For 20 M-tracks and a transformer you get € 70 discount on the 29000 mobile station start set, so € 99 instead of € 169, that seems good to me, or are some e-shops still cheaper ?

Most of these sets go for 130€ at their cheapest. So definitely a good deal!

I am unsure of what I believe the effect of the ad will have in the long term. Personally, I don't think people will storm the hobby stores.
Offline MalinAC  
#15 Posted : 11 October 2017 20:45:06(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Is this just for people in Germany.I dont think it would be a very good deal for me here in Ireland because it would cost too much to send a heavy transformer and track over to Germany and would cancel out any payment I got. I may have got it all wrong ,but ? Eddie
Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 11 October 2017 20:51:04(UTC)
H0

For 20 M-tracks and a transformer you get € 70 discount on the 29000 mobile station start set
I thought there was a €50 discount on the set #29000. The cheapest offer I found was 120,90 €.
€ 70 makes a difference. How much do you have to pay to mail the transformer to the dealer? Which value do transformer and tracks have for you? How much can you make on eBay for that Märklin metal?

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline steventrain  
#17 Posted : 20 November 2017 17:41:42(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Reminder: - Marklin promotion offer end 30 November 2017.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
MrB32  
#18 Posted : 20 November 2017 21:19:39(UTC)

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
For 20 M-tracks and a transformer you get € 70 discount on the 29000 mobile station start set
I thought there was a €50 discount on the set #29000. The cheapest offer I found was 120,90 €.
€ 70 makes a difference. How much do you have to pay to mail the transformer to the dealer? Which value do transformer and tracks have for you? How much can you make on eBay for that Märklin metal?

It is a good offer, but don't forget the conversion costs for older locos, these are not covered by the offer....

So it is nice if you want a cheap mobile station and power supply, but if you are re starting the hobby (target market for the offer...), you end up with new rails, a mobile station and uncontrollable analogue locos unless you fork out a few 100 euros more...

I would have done this differently, but who am I to dare have a different opinion :)

Clever Märklin :)