Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#1 Posted : 04 October 2017 17:32:09(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi everyone,

A quick pair of questions regarding the electric locomotives I mention above. Does anyone know the following:

1- which ran freight, passenger, or both in real life?

2- Which of these did Marklin ever market with freight cars in a set, or for freight trains? (If any)

Thanks in advance! I own all 4, but have no more vintage passenger compositions in need of locomotives. I was wondering if any were either prototype "correct" or Marklin "correct" to run freight. I also know these are toys and it doesn't matter, but I'd like to try and rationalize it!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 04 October 2017 18:07:46(UTC)
H0

Hi!

Re 1: Class 141 locos were used for freight and passenger trains (blue and green locos alike, colour makes no difference).
Class 110 were mostly used for passenger trains, but also for freight trains.
Class 140 were often used for freight trains, but some had push/pull control specifically for passenger trains.
Even class 151 locos could be seen with passenger trains.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 04 October 2017 18:56:09(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi John,

Adding to Tom's reply and in answer to your question 2:

Marklin made some starter sets with the green Br140/E40 and freight cars, under catalogue numbers 39854/39855. They also made sets with the green E40 and passenger cars but that's not what you asked.

I'm not aware of any Marklin sets containing a green Br141/E41 with freight cars, but I stand to be corrected. As far as I know the Br141 was more commonly used for local and commuter passenger trains.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#4 Posted : 04 October 2017 19:36:47(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Thanks everyone! They sound more versatile than expected!

Now for a few bonus questions BigGrin :

1 - Which of the 3034/37/39/40 (if any would be appropriate) would be appropriate for a passenger train with the "popwagen" livery?

2- while we are at it- the V200 in its original red: passenger only, or freight as well?
SBB Era 2-5
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 04 October 2017 19:47:03(UTC)
H0

Hi!

Re 1: A blue 110 is the best match. Locos with E are to old. A newer 3039 marked as 110 will be fine.

Re 2: Both freight and passenger trains. Even a TEE with two coaches is possible.

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
As far as I know the Br141 was more commonly used for local and commuter passenger trains.
They were the light-weight electrics for branchlines and were used for all sorts of branchline traffic.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#6 Posted : 04 October 2017 20:27:18(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!

Re 1: A blue 110 is the best match. Locos with E are to old. A newer 3039 marked as 110 will be fine.

Re 2: Both freight and passenger trains. Even a TEE with two coaches is possible.

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
As far as I know the Br141 was more commonly used for local and commuter passenger trains.
They were the light-weight electrics for branchlines and were used for all sorts of branchline traffic.

Lovely! thanks!
SBB Era 2-5