Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Zeitgaiss  
#1 Posted : 03 October 2017 18:29:16(UTC)
Zeitgaiss

United States   

Can i hook up a 7187 signal (Mtrack) to work directly with a turnout. I Id be using it more as a signal to correspond with the control box switches for a turnout.
SO when my son hits the green button to keep the turnout straight, the green light would be lit. And of course with the red buttin and the turnout changes the light would be on red.

The 7187 signal has 2 blue wires that i should be able to wire into the control box with the turnout, But i assume o need a yellow connection to keep power to the signal. I dont see a 3rd wire, or can i take it apart and find that wire or add a lead myself.

I am aware this unit is to be used with 7188 as a distant signal, im trying to simplify this for my son to help him "read" the track better.

thoughts , ideas , advice

thanks
mike
MrB32  
#2 Posted : 04 October 2017 11:11:12(UTC)

HI,

The 7187 is a "dumb" signal with no mechanics, basically 2 bulbs connected to earth through the baseplate or the brown socket. The L (yellow) connection is actually coming through the grey cables, which are meant to be connected to a 7188 signal. The 7188 acts as a relay, and is wired to pass the L (yellow) current through the relevant cable based on its own state.

To achieve what you would like to do, you would need to use either a 7039, 7040, 7041 or 7188 instead. The 2 red cables on these signal should not be connected to the track as you would be using the signal as a passive indicator.
Offline Pmare4  
#3 Posted : 04 October 2017 11:32:42(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
Hi Mike,

The signal you should use in that case is the 7041 - it can show 3 aspects, and even the real DB uses them in the same way:

HP0 - Stop.
HP1 - Continue at normal speed.
HP2 - Proceed with caution.

When the track is set to the curve, the signal can be wired to show HP2, when the track is set to the straight, the signal can be wired to show HP1. This is as simple as putting the plug for HP2 in the same socket on the 7072 panel as the plug for the curve branch of the points, and the plug for HP1 in the same socket as straight branch.

regards
Peter
Peter
Collecting vintage Märklin from 1935-1970, also Hornby O Gauge
Offline Zeitgaiss  
#4 Posted : 04 October 2017 14:25:33(UTC)
Zeitgaiss

United States   
Thanks for the replies! Well right after I posted I found someone who got a bunch of 7188’s ,just the posts with lights from an estate sale. Which I more what I wanted for the look but I was having trouble finding just the part. Didn’t want the whole set up with the relays and all and then not use it. Getting a bunch of relay set ups can get spendy. So I’m glad I woke up to see you guys mention the 7188 as I purchased them. 6 for 20$. Once I get them working I’ll sculpt a housing for it, mold and cast out what I need.

7188 pieces
MrB32  
#5 Posted : 04 October 2017 14:33:45(UTC)

You have just bought the masts for the 7188s by the looks of it, so in effect just half a signal. You will have the same problem as with your 7187. You need an entire signal with its mechanics in the base to achieve the effect you want. The mechanics on the base will allow the connectivity to your controller, and for the light to change and stay lit.

Offline Zeitgaiss  
#6 Posted : 04 October 2017 15:14:59(UTC)
Zeitgaiss

United States   
Gotcha- if I just connected it to the control box as is the light would only stay lit for the moment while the button was as pressed in. Only completing the circuit for that moment. Time to sort through the graveyard box. I have a few housings with mechanics that need love. Got a few ideas bouncing around I’m gonna try out also. I’ll keep postings this thread as i pay with some of these.
Offline sharples  
#7 Posted : 11 August 2020 04:59:47(UTC)
sharples

New Zealand   
Have been given a 7188 colour-light home signal - haven't a clue whether it works or where to connect up all the wires! Is there a manual available on-line does anyone know?
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#8 Posted : 11 August 2020 12:51:39(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
The Signal Manual Märklin Nr. 340 is likely to be helpful.
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1