Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline SteamNut  
#1 Posted : 25 September 2017 12:18:11(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Thanks to computers it is easier to keep track of what we have. I keep a list of what I have and what I have payed for it. Also I made a log for my loks on maintenance along with parts diagrams and information on the prototype of these loks when available. My collection is modest compared to some with 19 loks 37 passenger cars and 95 freight cars. What I did not do is keep track of what boxes came with the equipment, not everything came with a box and some came in sets. My three daughters have not expressed any interest in my hobby, even through I tried, and no grand kids on the way. With that in mind I am making photos of everything labeling the photos with the model numbers and making notes on my equipment list what came with a box so that it would be easier to match everything since most likely they will sell everything if something should happen to me. Needless to say to found some mistakes on model numbers especially on my passenger cars. When I am done at least one disk will be at the bank, especially for insurance reasons . As for the buildings, vehicles, people, etc all well that will be their problem. Just my thoughts on the subject maybe some of you have some further suggestions or comments how you do your inventory.
Fred
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by SteamNut
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 25 September 2017 13:41:28(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Sounds like your on the right track there, Fred. (Sorry about the pun!)

I keep details of all my stock in spreadsheets, but after reading your post I think I'm going to add some more fields for parameters such as whether they have boxes or not.

At the moment for locos I am listing details such as whether the item was bought new or second hand, where it was bought, what I paid for it, part numbers for important spare parts, type of motor and decoder, digital functions, etc.

On seperate spreadsheets I list my wagons and coaches and I have these grouped "by train" as I currently run them. Occasionally I have to re-arrange the lists if I buy some new stock and make up a different train composition.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#3 Posted : 25 September 2017 13:51:50(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Hello,

I have built a tool for myself that I use to track my collection with value, photos, descriptions, custom fields, etc. I would be happy to provide any member of this forum with an account, let message me directly. You can see the program here:

http://get.collectormetric.com/

You can also easily share your items to your public profile like mine here: http://collectormetric.com/marklinstop

Paul
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by CCS800KrokHunter3
Offline ocram63_uk  
#4 Posted : 29 September 2017 09:44:42(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
On the italian Marklin forum: https://lnx.3rotaie.it/forum/index.php
Somebody develped a database tool, running on windows, that works quite well.

You have to subscribe to the forum first and then you can try and access the tool from this thread: 'Il Catalogo per i vostri modelli'

When I downloaded it it required some Microsoft Access add on so that you could run it without having Access installed.

HTH

Marco
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 29 September 2017 11:57:48(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,
When you operate model trains, the divide between keeping track of items as a collection and running them, becomes complicated.
I know that Ray runs trains too.

I have found that getting items from individual boxes, running, then putting them back is a nightmare.
So all my individually packaged rolling stock and engines are either kept in a display case, or in padded boxes with dividers, that hold 20 items.
Items that are in set boxes (Marklin does plenty in sets) can remain in their set box, because they are easily retrieved and replaced.

Ideally, all individual boxes could be stored in number order on a shelf when the time comes to re-package for sale.
Many boxes have pictures, so it is not difficult to find the right box.
However, I do not have shelving, so boxes are stored in larger boxes, which are cross referenced in a spreadsheet.

Example of a line item used for running:
29/09/2017 46xxx $30 DB cov wagon #201675 3-3 (size and storage box number) Retailer XX
Sometimes I write the model number in small printing on the underside of the model (using white ink or such with a mapping pen).
Because my stock has been purchased over 11 years, the responsibility of updating a spreadsheet has been no burden at all.

I like Collectormetric, but I cannot see myself using anything as sophisticated.
It takes enough time figuring how to run trains.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline applor  
#6 Posted : 30 September 2017 03:11:20(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Yeah I also have a full inventory of what loks and rolling stock I have. I don't keep track of prices though - I don't think I want to know how much I've spent Crying
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by applor
Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 30 September 2017 04:12:49(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
my inventory is stored in my mobile app. the moment I move the inventory moves with me., it is impossible to hack it unless I'll finish up in some country with extreme views about model train enthusiasts and therefore the evidence may be squeezed out of me.

I do get anxiety attacks sometimes when I can't find a loco or carriage, its stupid but I just have to make an harder effort to find it somewhere in around our home and garage.

Sometimes I get surprises when I open up a loco and find a sound decoder in it., rolling stock is still a mystery, sometimes I find a carriage I've forgot I had.

30 years ago I had a book and recorded all my loco in there especially with decoder numbers, these days it's not necessary because locos get automatically recognized.

for future references I will however one day start recording all my locos in case they get sold

recording the money I've spent would only lead for me to see a doctor and to find out whether or not I'm sane or insane and somehow I'm hooked to a hobby without looking at it from an independent body and see what else is there in life. Its not the locos or rolling stock I'm talking about its the little things: station accessories, overhead system, wires, screws, insulation, and more screws, servo motors, sound decoders, all these things don't get recorded., thousands of Preislinger, street, station and platform lights and last but not least: the time one spends, over 30 years of my life I have spend some time with my layout, how many hours I wouldn't have a clue and to tell you the truth if I would record all my time I've spend either converting locos, working on the layout I wouldn't have time to record the times and any good, loyal wife would say: what a waste of time and money.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline dickinsonj  
#8 Posted : 01 October 2017 01:21:06(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
I don't keep track of prices though - I don't think I want to know how much I've spent Crying

I don't either and I really don't want my wife to know, although she is not stupid and she has to have some idea! I can afford all of the trains that I buy but the total amount that I have spent in some years is shocking, even to me.

I do use a spreadsheet to keep track of my inventory and spare parts and such. I need to record what consists I run with each loco and why, and maybe I will add what I paid as well. We will have to see.

Good topic and something to think carefully about when you are not having fun with your trains. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline ocram63_uk  
#9 Posted : 03 October 2017 09:40:31(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
I have used the Woodland Scenics DB app. It is very nice and handy and, probably, has more fields than anyone could want.
I don't know if they still have this app or have updated it since I got it years ago.
On top of this you can save in CSV format the DB on your computer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
Offline kimballthurlow  
#10 Posted : 03 October 2017 23:06:30(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
.......recording the money I've spent would only lead for me to see a doctor and to find out whether or not I'm sane or insane and somehow I'm hooked to a hobby without looking at it from an independent body and see what else is there in life. ...... if I would record all my time I've spend either converting locos, working on the layout I wouldn't have time to record the times and any good, loyal wife would say: what a waste of time and money.

John

Well John I figure these are just toys, and for short periods of time you enter another world.

On my layout (like yours) the trains run as we want them to, the houses have gardens that are well maintained.
There are no pesky neighbours, there are no terrorists running amok at the railway station or in town, and we do not have to have gun laws.
There are no politicians to annoy us or tell us what to do, the laws of our empire are all sensible.
People go about their daily business (within the constraints of 1:87) selling bread, carrying boxes, and driving motor cars and trucks.
We even have them stopping at the boom gates.

It is escapism away from a world that is too real sometimes.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline pab  
#11 Posted : 13 October 2017 11:02:08(UTC)
pab

Netherlands   
I started a long time ago (> 30 years) with a multidimensional spreadsheet. A worksheet per category, like locomotives, wagons and coaches, houses, vehicles, preiserlein and so on. And a topsheet with all the totals.

It was a lot of work to start, and I didn't know all prices.
Everytime I buy or get something I update the sheets, so the maintenance is quite simple.
I know now the number of locomotives, how much preiserleins live on my lay-out (1717), the number of trees, and so on.
I add pictures of the locomotives and the wagons/coaches,
Also add some information about the model and the prototype (mostly copied from the catalogue). During the years the stored information was extended.

I used to have a separate spreadsheet for the digital locomotives with decoder number, functions. But with the new stations that isn't necessary anymore.

I know I spend a lot of money over the last 50 years, but who cares, I enjoyed the things I bought (most of the time BigGrin )

I'm happy with what I have now, converting to another system probably would be a major operation.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by pab
Offline Kapalua  
#12 Posted : 17 October 2017 00:42:37(UTC)
Kapalua

Denmark   
I keep an Excel sheet of only my Locomotives which is about 60.
1. Make and Model Number.
2. Description of Model, like Diesel, Colour, Markings so I can easier pick one up and find it on the list if not in a retail box.
3. Where I bought it and name of seller if eBay.
4. Price I bought it for.
5. Notes on defects, Maintenance that is needed, like new tires, needs oil, new bulb etc..

I have about 200 passenger and freight cars so can't be bothered to list them in the Excel sheet but in hindsight I probably should have done so
from the start.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Kapalua
Offline mrmarklin  
#13 Posted : 17 October 2017 09:09:49(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: Alt-Right Go to Quoted Post
I keep an Excel sheet of only my Locomotives which is about 60.
1. Make and Model Number.
2. Description of Model, like Diesel, Colour, Markings so I can easier pick one up and find it on the list if not in a retail box.
3. Where I bought it and name of seller if eBay.
4. Price I bought it for.
5. Notes on defects, Maintenance that is needed, like new tires, needs oil, new bulb etc..

I have about 200 passenger and freight cars so can't be bothered to list them in the Excel sheet but in hindsight I probably should have done so
from the start.

You should list your rolling stock. My doing so has saved me a lot of money not buying duplicates.

Before I had a list, I mistakenly bought duplicates fairly often. But I have quite a bit more rolling stock than you. YMMV
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mrmarklin