Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Jabez  
#1 Posted : 24 September 2017 19:18:58(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
I have some Maerklin digital locos that include among the functions Switcher Double "A" Light
I assume that this has nothing to do with lights on the model but only indicates the switching slow speed function indicated by the 'tortoise' symbol.
Presumably the Double "A" Light refers to some some signalling convention on the prototype.
Is this correct? Can anyone explain?
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline MaerklinLife  
#2 Posted : 24 September 2017 19:40:12(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Double A refers to all front lights (one top, two bottom to form an A figure) being on at both (hence double) ends of the locomotive. This signals that the locomotive is performing a shunting maneuver.

You still see it at staging yards today, but I believe newer locomotives uses a different signal. I am not sure about the use today though.

Most Märklin locomotives that can turn off the red taillights will turn on the double A if you turn of the lights at both ends at the same time.

I some time programme my decoders to turn on the double A automatically when turtle mode is enabled.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline Jabez  
#3 Posted : 24 September 2017 22:56:22(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
At least one of the locos, the 37516 steamer, only has two headlights and two tail lights. Thus a "Switcher Double ""A"" Light" configuration which is claimed as one of the functions would not be possible. So I assume it is just a figure of speech for the turtle mode of slow switching speed and does not imply the possibility of a real Double A lighting display.
Offline Rwill  
#4 Posted : 24 September 2017 23:27:40(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I have 37516 - its a lovely lok

Surely F0 is headlights on at which end depends on the direction of travel

F4 is ABV off - tortoise mode - with F0 still on indicating in which direction the tortoise is set to move

F15 tortoise mode and lights on at both ends of the lok to indicate it is "on switching" duty.

That being said prototypical or not I prefer the simpler F0 plus F4 so we are in tortoise mode with the light showing the direction set to travel which indicates to me whether we are set to perform the coupling or to pull away.

Read my own post - its as clear as mud
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline MaerklinLife  
#5 Posted : 25 September 2017 08:27:33(UTC)
MaerklinLife

I looked it up in the German Railways signalling rule set.

http://www1.deutschebahn...301_aktualisierung_9.pdf (Page 147, Fz 1 "Rangierlokomotivsignal").

The updated version goes as follows:

1. In daytime no particular signalling is needed.
2. In night time one white light must be on in the height of the buffer. Front and back of the locomotive.
2a. You can also use the light configuration Zg 1 (A light) instead.

So there you have it. If you only "work during the day" on your model railway, you do not need to use the switcher signal. Smile

Zg 1 is the code for the standard front light of a locomotive. Check this page: http://www.tf-ausbildung...SignalbuchOnline/zg1.htm

And here: http://www.tf-ausbildung...SignalbuchOnline/fz1.htm
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline Jabez  
#6 Posted : 25 September 2017 22:06:21(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
I have 37516 - its a lovely lok

Thanks for your explanation. Indeed it is a nice loko. BTW Modellbau.fischer is currently offering it for Eu279.90 against a rrp of 429.95 which is a pretty good deal if you want to stock up on anotherBigGrin
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 26 September 2017 11:09:44(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post
1. In daytime no particular signalling is needed.
Old outdated information, valid for the glorious past only. Nowadays all DB locos have lights on night and day.
Regulations changed over time.

Double A is unusual for shunters - but Märklin have no choice for some locos with a single light bulb.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#8 Posted : 26 September 2017 11:34:55(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
On a practical note, I rarely use the "Double A" lighting configuration as I like to be able to predict which direction my loco will move by observing which end has the lights on! BigGrin

While I fear for the safety of my Preisers I must put my ease of operation first!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF