Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Punkieys17  
#1 Posted : 21 September 2017 22:32:23(UTC)
Punkieys17

United Kingdom   
Recently found 2 cast metal locomotives. One is a tm800 and one a sk800. Both have a mechanical lever that I belive is used for reversing. Hopefully this feature will identify the model version. I would like to check the locos out but am aware Marklin used different voltages. Any help great fully received.
Offline scarfo  
#2 Posted : 21 September 2017 22:51:37(UTC)
scarfo

India   
Originally Posted by: Punkieys17 Go to Quoted Post
Recently found 2 cast metal locomotives. One is a tm800 and one a sk800. Both have a mechanical lever that I belive is used for reversing. Hopefully this feature will identify the model version. I would like to check the locos out but am aware Marklin used different voltages. Any help great fully received.

Hi - both are operated with the standard marklin voltage transformers - 0-16 volts AC controlled with the knob of the controller for speed control (older blue metal types, or newer white plastic type) and a pulse of 24 volts AC which operates the reverser solenoid switch to reverse direction. The hand levers are a back up to reverse direction in case the solenoid is not working.
The tm800 is reasonably common and is supposedly a model of a br80 although the dimensions are somewhat compromised. The tk800 is an early version of a br81 - quite rare in tk800 form, but very common in later versions.
Hope this helps
regards Charles
Offline Markus Schild  
#3 Posted : 22 September 2017 11:15:30(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

The SK 800 is a model of a German streamlined steamer.
Depending on the year the locomotives could have the earlier switch which switches in four steps: forward - stop with lights - backwards - stop with lights - ..... and not only forward - backwards like switches from 1957. Locomotives with earlier switches always make a jump while switching. The run at 5-16 V (AC or DC) and switch at +20V. (usually 24V)

The locomotive "TK800" was a promotional series for the Nuremberg - Toy Fair 2001. It is a normal, modern 3031 but printed like an old model. The people which decided to print "TK800" did not understand the traditional numbering system. A "TK800" would have been a model of a German class 62 express - tender - locomotive. This model was made in 0 and 1 - gauge but never in H0/00.

Regards

Markus
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline cookee_nz  
#4 Posted : 24 September 2017 08:06:13(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

The SK 800 is a model of a German streamlined steamer.
Depending on the year the locomotives could have the earlier switch which switches in four steps: forward - stop with lights - backwards - stop with lights - ..... and not only forward - backwards like switches from 1957. Locomotives with earlier switches always make a jump while switching. The run at 5-16 V (AC or DC) and switch at +20V. (usually 24V)

The locomotive "TK800" was a promotional series for the Nuremberg - Toy Fair 2001. It is a normal, modern 3031 but printed like an old model. The people which decided to print "TK800" did not understand the traditional numbering system. A "TK800" would have been a model of a German class 62 express - tender - locomotive. This model was made in 0 and 1 - gauge but never in H0/00.

Regards

Markus

Hi Markus,

It might be an interesting article to have "the traditional numbering system" explained in more detail.

I know several times I have had people ask if there was any methodology or format behind the codes or numbering system that Märklin used?

Cheers

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Punkieys17  
#5 Posted : 25 September 2017 18:11:30(UTC)
Punkieys17

United Kingdom   
A big thanks to all for the useful replies. I do have Super 280 transformer which I will try (carefully as the insulation is on the way out) the locos. Fascinating about the TM800 (0-6-0) as it fooled me into thinking its older with the reverse lever. Julian