Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Minok  
#1 Posted : 21 September 2017 19:46:22(UTC)
Minok

United States   
UserPostedImage

I was happy to see the BR 012 ( 78137 ) in the new items list for Roco for the fall, and wanted to place an order for it with my dealer immediately.
However, looking at the Roco website, there is scant information about the product, and specifically there is no information as to whether a smoke generator will be able to be fitted to the model when it comes out. Since they list that as an attribute on some of the steam engines, I took it that smoke generator fitting isn't a given on their locomotives so I contacted Roco via their website 'contact us' link and shot off an email asking if the unit will be able to be fitted with a smoke generator. It was odd enough that such information isn't clearly indicated on the product page, but OK, I'd had issues with the sometimes scant or misleading information on the product pages before (with 52580 and what the smallest radius it could operate on was).

So this is the answer I got back from them just recently on the question of whether the model will allow installation of a smoke generator:

"Da es sich bei Modell 78137 um eine Neuheit handelt, die sich noch in Ausarbeitung befindet, stehen uns hierzu derzeit leider noch keine genaueren Informationen zur Verfügung, wofür wir um Verständnis bitten."

Translated: as this is a new model that is still in final formuation/development, we don't yet have precise data on the model; we ask for your understanding.

How on Earth isn't that knowledge available to customer service. I would expect they would have ensured this in the beginning of the design process (given that the chimney needs to have the ability to get pulled up to insert the smoke generator, and the internals would have to have the electrical contact surfaces to interface with a smoke generator). This makes no sense unless the customer service outfit is outsourced and doesn't have access to the design specifications, or the design team is not communicating to the sales/marketing org - but then why the hell are they announcing a product with prototype photos and they don't know this info? It seems to indicate dysfunction within Roco. I wonder if this sort of dysfunction has been typical of Roco or is this a new thing?

Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline PhillipL  
#2 Posted : 22 September 2017 00:28:26(UTC)
PhillipL

United States   
I started purchasing ROCO model trains since the early 1990's. When the original owners ran the company, quality was number one priority. The company was sold to one of its employees back around 2002 who nearly bankrupted it which was the beginning of poor quality. It has gotten even worse in my opinion since then. I have purchased several locomotives which had add on details that did not even fit the model, plastic is often brittle such that the model break as they are being removed from their boxes and running characteristics are poor. I stay clear of their models now. I know quality has been suffering industry wide but when I purchase a locomotive for over $150.00, I least expect parts to fit, be able to remove the item from the box safely and have it run smoothly.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PhillipL