Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Jabez  
#1 Posted : 17 September 2017 22:28:55(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
I was never particularly impressed by smoke when I had only seen it in movie clips.
But after I had equipped a couple of my steamers and seen it live, I was sold on its authentic effect.
But are there any drawbacks. E.g. does the settled residue muck up layout surfaces after long-term use, and does the residue and eventual spillages of fluid have a deleterious effect on loco paint finishes, particularly weathered ones?
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline Hackcell  
#2 Posted : 18 September 2017 02:47:07(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Sync smoke, as it is provided by MTH and other US manufacturers on their steamers is really amazing. I really don't understand why Märklin hasn't taken this approach.
Danilo Jiménez
Union Pacific and DB Cargo H0 models.
Märklin, Brawa, MTH and some Walthers cars (nobody is perfect!)
Pinball machines, jukeboxes and Horses.
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Hackcell
Offline xxup  
#3 Posted : 18 September 2017 03:33:07(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Possibly it is a patented technology and Marklin does not have access to it through a licence agreement?
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Goofy  
#4 Posted : 18 September 2017 18:49:31(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post
I was never particularly impressed by smoke when I had only seen it in movie clips.
But after I had equipped a couple of my steamers and seen it live, I was sold on its authentic effect.
But are there any drawbacks. E.g. does the settled residue muck up layout surfaces after long-term use, and does the residue and eventual spillages of fluid have a deleterious effect on loco paint finishes, particularly weathered ones?

Try to use with ESU or Viessmanns fluid.
Seuthe are worse!

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Minok  
#5 Posted : 18 September 2017 20:21:04(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Would you not use the smoke/steam fluid that is specified for the smoke generator that is installed? If its a Seuthe, use thier fluid. ESU generator, use theirs (they say their fluid is tuned for how their generators work).

The smoke does vaporise the fluid, and it will eventually settle down on things. But I've got no idea how it impacts the long term layout - hoping steamer users with a lot of experience chime in. I just ran a steamer for the first time with smoke, around my living room Carpet Bahn this past Christmas. I'm picking up my one other steamer from Rocco early next year - and it will only run on special occasions as its a museum loco on my electric era layout, so I won't get heavy use.

The fluid should not harm the paints of the locos, since spilling some on the loco and layout is an almost unavoidable thing when filling the smoke unites on the locos with the bottle and/or pipettes. But again, my experience is limited to a week or two of usage.

I'm looking forward to the piezo electric atomizer that uses distilled water in the Tiger ludmilla coming out to do its mimic of diesel exhaust, but thats not the same density of the oilier smoke fluids.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Jabez  
#6 Posted : 18 September 2017 21:40:38(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Hackcell Go to Quoted Post
Sync smoke, as it is provided by MTH and other US manufacturers on their steamers is really amazing. I really don't understand why Märklin hasn't taken this approach.

ESU, Roco, and some other European mnfrs already offer sync smoke, but how it compares to the MTH version I do not know.
thanks for the MTH reference, an interesting product line.
Jabez
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams