Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Poll Question : What type of digital decoder?
Choice Votes Statistics
(Poll is closed)  Total 33 100%
Guests can't see poll choices and poll results. Try login or register. Guests can't vote. Try login or register. The poll has expired.
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Goofy  
#1 Posted : 16 September 2017 11:10:59(UTC)
Goofy

I decides to create an Poll to check if anyone of you have done with the digital locomotive like to change out to another kind type of digital decoder.
Please vote and if you feel write why you did changed out or still use same decoder.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline LoeM  
#2 Posted : 20 September 2017 16:44:59(UTC)
LoeM

Netherlands   
I use decoders from the German brand TAMS. They have an AC decoder that's really fine to convert old Marklin loco's to digital, and also very good DC decoders. And they are cheap.
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 20 September 2017 16:59:52(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: LoeM Go to Quoted Post
I use decoders from the German brand TAMS. They have an AC decoder that's really fine to convert old Marklin loco's to digital, and also very good DC decoders. And they are cheap.
That statement is opinion-based.
My statement (also opinion-based): Tams decoders are cheap, but not worth the money - I rather spend a few bucks more to get an ESU decoder or, depending on the motor type, a Märklin decoder if that one is cheaper.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 20 September 2017 17:10:05(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
My preference at the moment is for Marklin mLd mfx decoders. I am replacing old 6080 and Delta decoders with these as and when I can do so. I have a fair number of old delta and digital locos so it's a long and expensive process.

For Marklin locos with the older FCM motors where the conversion with a 60943 or 60944 kit is not easy I will use a Lokpilot V4. I can get good running with these and the original motor with the field coil replaced with a permanent magnet.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Graham HO  
#5 Posted : 21 September 2017 02:57:06(UTC)
Graham HO

New Zealand   
Have a look at Uhlenbrook - clever stuff, you don't need to install a permenant field magnet and can still use the original 3 pole armature on certain models - but Installation can be tricky.
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 21 September 2017 07:41:45(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Graham HO Go to Quoted Post
Have a look at Uhlenbrook - clever stuff, you don't need to install a permenant field magnet and can still use the original 3 pole armature on certain models
The motor is converted to a DC motor with four connectors instead of three. Instead of using a permanent magnet, it uses DC for the field coil. You don't need a permanent magnet, but you "pay" with higher power consumption.
Results are not always great and Uhlenbrock are not the cutting edge with respect to load regulation.
Clever? Know the disadvantages before making a smart decision ...

AFAIK there is only one Uhlenbrock decoder in their range with this "clever" feature while all other Uhlenbrock decoders just have two motor connectors for standard DC motors. So do not blindly buy any Uhlenbrock decoder if you need that clever feature.

I have several Uhlenbrock decoders on the shelf - I rather remove them than install them.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#7 Posted : 12 October 2017 09:18:16(UTC)
Goofy

Just 4 days left to vote.
I see 20 votes so far...Glare
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline mario54i  
#8 Posted : 12 October 2017 11:41:02(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
Do Marklin mSD decoders have the SUSI interface ?
Thanks
Offline supermoee  
#9 Posted : 12 October 2017 13:43:22(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
Hello,

I do not use only one brand. It depends from the loco I want to convert.

Mostly I try to use Loksound M4 decoders because I like the constant braking distance fundtion of these decoders. The sound is ok.

If I neede amplified Aux3/Aux4 outputs and the loco already has a 21 pin interface I go for mSD3 decoders. For e locos the sounds are not bad

For C-sine locos I used the mSD spezial since the constant braking distance function is not working with this kind of motor so it is useless to pay more for the ESU decoder

When I need a lot of functions, I go for the Zimo MX645p22 decoder. 10 Aux functions are available. No other supplier can do that.

I have even D&H decoders because they have very nice sounds for old style e-locos the none of the others can supply, for example the sound of the E75. D&H will come more and more, since they are delivering the OEM decoders to Brawa with excellent sound files.

So I checked everything in the poll LOL

rgds

Stephan