Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline fynrfin  
#1 Posted : 06 September 2017 22:40:50(UTC)
fynrfin

United States   
Hello there,

I am back to playing with my trains after almost a decade away. I have just dug out my old Intellibox that seems to be working, except it will not read and use the programming track. My decoders are old MM, Delta and some DCC ones. The question is now, what is new? Should I find a new controller? If yes, what would that be?Confused
Steen Jorgensen
Planning a Northern European (DSB and DB) C-track layout with IB control.
Offline applor  
#2 Posted : 07 September 2017 02:46:31(UTC)
applor

Australia   
You can't really beat a Mobile Station 2/3. They support all decoder types and can store 10+1 locomotives and do turnouts.
You can get them dirt cheap out of starter sets.

If you have a larger layout or need additional features such as S88 support etc. then you can look at the CS2/3 or ESU controllers.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by applor
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 07 September 2017 12:42:33(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Since you have an Intellibox, an Intellibox II might be of interest.

UserPostedImage

http://www.uhlenbrock.de/de_DE/...ntryInfo=0004.0.I000C67D

Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
You can't really beat a Mobile Station 2/3. They support all decoder types and can store 10+1 locomotives.......

Actually, a Mobile Station 2 can store up to 40 locomotives.

Plus, there is no such thing as a Mobile Station 3. You are referring to the Mobile Station 2 with a black case, the earlier ones had a grey case.

.....then you can look at the CS2.......

I don't think the CS2 can be purchased new, unless you find one that is in stock at a dealer - I can only see 2 available on ebay, including this obscenely priced one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/...7e2ba:g:bkoAAOSwdoVZfs1z
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline fynrfin  
#4 Posted : 07 September 2017 15:42:41(UTC)
fynrfin

United States   
Thank you, sorry for my rusty knowledge so if I would like to expand to S88 or computer control I need CS2/3?

You can't really beat a Mobile Station 2/3. They support all decoder types and can store 10+1 locomotives and do turnouts.
You can get them dirt cheap out of starter sets.

If you have a larger layout or need additional features such as S88 support etc. then you can look at the CS2/3 or ESU controllers.

Steen Jorgensen
Offline fynrfin  
#5 Posted : 07 September 2017 15:44:28(UTC)
fynrfin

United States   
Thank you, any views on the new Intellibox versus Marklin?

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Since you have an Intellibox, an Intellibox II might be of interest.

UserPostedImage

http://www.uhlenbrock.de/de_DE/...ntryInfo=0004.0.I000C67D

You can't really beat a Mobile Station 2/3. They support all decoder types and can store 10+1 locomotives.......

Actually, a Mobile Station 2 can store up to 40 locomotives.

Plus, there is no such thing as a Mobile Station 3. You are referring to the Mobile Station 2 with a black case, the earlier ones had a grey case.

.....then you can look at the CS2.......

I don't think the CS2 can be purchased new, unless you find one that is in stock at a dealer - I can only see 2 available on ebay, including this obscenely priced one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/...7e2ba:g:bkoAAOSwdoVZfs1z

Steen Jorgensen
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by fynrfin
Offline Danlake  
#6 Posted : 07 September 2017 21:38:15(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: fynrfin Go to Quoted Post
Thank you, sorry for my rusty knowledge so if I would like to expand to S88 or computer control I need CS2/3?

Hi Steen,

If you would like any type of automation I would recommend either Marklin CS2/3 or an Esu controller.

On this forum you will find lots of previous posts comparing these controllers.

Either controller would work with computer software but the Marklin CS3 has very fast Mfx registration and imho also more sophiscated automation features than the ESU. The ESU on the other hand has better and more advanced locomotive configurations (CV programming) etc.

However personally Iam not a big fan of the new CS3 user interface software which was designed for finger touch but only really works with a mouse.

If you are planning to go down the computer control I would recommend to buy an second hand CS2.

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline Minok  
#7 Posted : 07 September 2017 23:15:23(UTC)
Minok

United States   

Short answer - no.

Longer answer - depending on what you want to do yourself vs already packaged and done for you, there are several options. If you can control all of the locomotives by DCC, and not need MM or MFX you may have even more options.

For computer control, the main thing you need out of the equipment is to allow the computer control software to generate and get the track signaling data to and from the track digital stream. There are several systems that allow you to do that including the Central Station 2 & 3 and other main controllers.

There is also a hobby solution that lets you use just your Märklin trackbox (from say a Mobile Station 2 kit) and using a controller board (BananaPi) and a daughter card (you have to buy this as a kit the guy developing it - there are threads here ( https://www.marklin-user...-Box-and-mfx-programming ) and on Stummi ( https://www.stummiforum....pic.php?f=7&t=146143 ) - so the combination as big as 2 packs of cards at a cost of $100 or so can get you a system that eliminates the need for a full station. If you don't need the buttons and big screen on the likes of a CS2/CS3, and are willing to do a bit of electrical work and linux configuration (the board) that may be a viable option. I'm looking down this path myself - the current development is that the developer is working on getting the MFX registration feedback working right, and then will be getting the kit. Combining that with what is called the AutoFuse (another kit) that gets you with a power booster module a 4 zone power booster solution, one can get a solid power distribution and signalling system without having to buy a Central Station or similar from other makers. But it is a non-commercial product, so all of the issues that come with that - so if you need a more turnkey polished solution then an updated late model CS2 with the latest 32 function firmware would be the solution.

Running S88 directly to the computer and not through the Central Station has been the wisdom of old, due to the latency/processor overload of delivering the S88 signal state to the computer software. Not sure if/whether the CS3 has addressed that bottleneck.

Once I get that solution working I'm planning to do a write-up on how to set it up, or report on how it doesn't work well for me depending on how it turns out. I'm expecting to have an answer by this time next year... so for now you'd also be a beta tester if you jumped in now.

Right now he's testing an SMD version alongside the traditional through-hold built up daughter card, and working the MFX feedback in the firmware.
UserPostedImage

Additionally there are projects to control the system via a RaspberryPi as well: https://www.marklin-user...trolling-a-MS2-from-a-PC

Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline dickinsonj  
#8 Posted : 09 September 2017 04:01:29(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
The "roll your own" approach is interesting and that reveals a whole new aspect of the digital MRR world which I can appreciate.

But if you just want to run your trains and not play with computers I would get a CS2 or CS3. Despite what you might read on the forum at times they are excellent little train control boxes and they easily handle all of the formats that you need. In addition they both offer quite sophisticated automation possibilities, even if the documentation on that aspect is very poor.

Edited by user 09 September 2017 14:41:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Goofy  
#9 Posted : 09 September 2017 11:19:06(UTC)
Goofy

Hello there,

I am back to playing with my trains after almost a decade away. I have just dug out my old Intellibox that seems to be working, except it will not read and use the programming track. My decoders are old MM, Delta and some DCC ones. The question is now, what is new? Should I find a new controller? If yes, what would that be?Confused

Depends what kind of system you want for your layout.
MS2 is more comfort for the standard layout which there is not so many locomotive to control.
CS2/3 are more advance and of course more expensive.
This is more playful but does it really good for small layouts?
You choice and what your wally says.
There is other products to use by control digital locomotives.
The most important for the digital system is possible to choice protocols.
I have Lenz and this system allows only DCC protocol.
Märklin do have now multi protocol decoders in the locomotives which means you can use even DCC protocol with the three rail and not only mfx/MM.
If you want to use MS2 there is limit function of it.
More advance digital system is more fun and better choice than MS2.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline David Dewar  
#10 Posted : 19 September 2017 00:00:07(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
My view has always been ...if you have Marklin track and locos etc then just buy a Marklin controller in order to support the company that makes our tracks etc.
Don't want to see any MR firm go bust but it certainly cant be Marklin which is why I now just buy their stuff.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar