Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ausipeet  
#1 Posted : 24 August 2017 01:17:06(UTC)
Ausipeet

Australia   
Are the VAT charges include din sale price on products in Europe included in the price stated or are they added on?

I will be in Europe as of the 3rd of September and am looking at purchasing several marklin items and would like this cleared up please.

For example the cost of a new ESU eCos system ranges from $619 to $645 Euros and all state inclusive of VAT so does that then bring the price of this unit down by 19%

Many thanks

PeterConfused Cool
Offline Collector  
#2 Posted : 24 August 2017 02:20:56(UTC)
Collector

Originally Posted by: Ausipeet Go to Quoted Post
Are the VAT charges include din sale price on products in Europe included in the price stated or are they added on?

I will be in Europe as of the 3rd of September and am looking at purchasing several marklin items and would like this cleared up please.

For example the cost of a new ESU eCos system ranges from $619 to $645 Euros and all state inclusive of VAT so does that then bring the price of this unit down by 19%

Many thanks

PeterConfused Cool

I have not visited all EU countries but I would assume that UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED prices directed at consumers are inclusive of VAT. If the VAT rate is 19% you can deduct almost 16% to get to the price without VAT

I have NO idea how to get the VAT back at the airport or elsewhere.

DRG/DB/SBB Epoche II/III/IV
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Collector
Offline franciscohg  
#3 Posted : 24 August 2017 02:38:44(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Oh, there are special offices at the airport, with eternal queues to get your VAT back.....
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline xxup  
#4 Posted : 24 August 2017 03:09:19(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
You need the VAT forms signed by the seller. Good shops will do this for you.

You must have the items packed in you cabin luggage and produce them to the customs official. It is not a 24 hour service and it can take a couple of hours in a queue. I also believe that there is an upper limit to how much you can claim back.. I know someone who purchased a very expensive watch in Europe, who told me that they only refunded a fraction of the tax he paid on the watch.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline applor  
#5 Posted : 24 August 2017 03:14:30(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Yes the prices in Europe are with VAT included.

If you want to avoid paying VAT, it is actually easier to buy overseas and have it shipped.

This is because the seller has proof the item has left Europe for their tax declaration.

If you want to buy while you are there and want VAT removed, I think you have to pay for the item with VAT and then at the airport take your receipts to the kiosk to request a refund of VAT.
I don't think any shops will be able to sell you without VAT.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline sjbartels  
#6 Posted : 24 August 2017 03:28:03(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
Yes the prices in Europe are with VAT included.

If you want to avoid paying VAT, it is actually easier to buy overseas and have it shipped.

This is because the seller has proof the item has left Europe for their tax declaration.

If you want to buy while you are there and want VAT removed, I think you have to pay for the item with VAT and then at the airport take your receipts to the kiosk to request a refund of VAT.
I don't think any shops will be able to sell you without VAT.

They can't actually, they can't verify you are taking it out of the country

When I was in Utrecht last year, I purchased several things and received a VAT receipt, which is essentially the receipt with the amount of VAT paid spelled out so could claim it back when leaving the airport. Based on the hassle that was, and I wouldn't be saving anything over having the item shipped and paying shipping, I just decided to forget it
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sjbartels
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 24 August 2017 03:34:59(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Most shops in the EU include the VAT in the shelf price of items. Some shops list the price with and without VAT, either on their website or in shop. Most countries have counters at the airport where items and invoices must be presented prior to departure in order to receive a VAT refund. The easiest way is to calculate the tax costs and shipping costs. In many cases, you can select the items and have the dealer ship it to your home address and get a VAT exemption for export. If you are buying a few items only, it may be easier just to pay the tax and take the item with you in which case you save the shipping cost.

I usually make my big purchases online and limit my in store purchases to small items and surprise finds. Many times, you will find some rare or used item that is not on the website and that is worth it, even if you pay full pop.

Remember that in Switzerland, the tax is still only 8% but the MSRP is much higher than in some other countries.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Danlake  
#8 Posted : 24 August 2017 04:13:21(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Peter,

I have done it a few times while visiting my native home country.

There is a minimum threshold amount of around 175 euro for each shop purchase.

In Copenhagen airport it normally takes less than 1 hour.

See also link:

https://ec.europa.eu/tax...at-refund-visitors-eu_en

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline applor  
#9 Posted : 24 August 2017 06:20:17(UTC)
applor

Australia   
I had a real headache with VAT when I bought a beautiful Certina watch from Switzerland for my dads 60th to take back to Australia.

I was aware of VAT and discussed the deduction with the store but where I came unstuck was that I had travelled by train from Switzerland to Germany and then to France.
This meant my only opportunity to claim the VAT was at the Paris international airport.

The airport staff said I couldn't claim the VAT because it was bought in Switzerland and that I should have claimed it when flying out of Switzerland.
They didn't seem to understand (or likely didn't care) that I had travelled by train and so had no previous opportunity to claim VAT from an airport on a departing international flightCursing

I couldn't get the VAT refund from those apathetic frogs but when I returned home I explained it by e-mail with the Swiss watch shop and by providing them with flight tickets etc. they were able to process and send me the VAT refund.
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 24 August 2017 08:15:13(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Collector Go to Quoted Post
I have not visited all EU countries but I would assume that UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED prices directed at consumers are inclusive of VAT.
In Germany it is legally required that prices aiming at consumers must be all-inclusive.
I'm not sure if this is an EU requirement, but it may well be.

This meant my only opportunity to claim the VAT was at the Paris international airport.
Many Swiss people go shopping in Germany and claim the VAT at the border when going back. I don't know how you would do that when going by train.

EU citizens do not have to pay VAT in Switzerland and vice versa. Thus I can understand that the French customs at Paris airport are not familiar with deducting Swiss VAT. Maybe they can do it when you speak the right keywords, but it is not the standard case they handle 1000 times every day.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Harryv40  
#11 Posted : 24 August 2017 11:40:23(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Hi a word of warning, especially about Switzerland, not all shops are part of the VAT refund scheme, so do not provide the forms to reclaim the VAT.
Also at Geneva Airport the Customs Office is most closed at weekends, go to the exchange behind the office and they will process your refund.
I like at an idol completed the reclaim form posted it in the box provide and never received my refund.

Harryv40

Offline Unholz  
#12 Posted : 24 August 2017 13:58:05(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Many Swiss people go shopping in Germany and claim the VAT at the border when going back. I don't know how you would do that when going by train.

It's possible, but certainly not at the Paris airport. Wink Some information in English here: https://www.estv.admin.c...--tax-free/tax-free.html
Offline river6109  
#13 Posted : 24 August 2017 14:11:49(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
and don't forget bringing an ESU ECoS into the country (Australia) you must pay 10% GST., the A$ 1000.00 free threshold no longer applies.

the only thing you're saving is the postage which is normally up to Euro 65.00.

regards.,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline TEEWolf  
#14 Posted : 24 August 2017 18:31:03(UTC)
TEEWolf

Many thanks

PeterConfused Cool

Hello Peter,

the most important thing is that you get a stamp on your export voucher (or as you name it in English) from the German customs, while you are leaving Germany and exporting goods out of Germany, which were bought in Germany and only bought in Germany. And of course you have to prove this to the custom. In Germany you have to take for everything a receipt with you - on the other hand you always get this receipt, if you ask. It is the law.

Exception is, if the shop, where you are buying stuff in Germany for an export, offers you doing all the burocracy about customs for you. Normally they announce this by a seperate sign at their shop.

At a duty free shop at the airport you should ask for this service, because these shops are doning it regularly for their customers. But then they do not charge you the VAT either. You only pay the net price and have to leave your address, etc. - but be aware about it, that they really do it.

But you shall know, it is the law in Germany that any goods have to be priced incl VAT and every good, product, service (e.g. prices on a menue in the restaurant) or whatever must show the complete gross price (incl VAT).

Edited by user 01 September 2017 18:48:56(UTC)  | Reason: clarification

Offline DV  
#15 Posted : 25 August 2017 08:03:30(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
the A$ 1000.00 free threshold no longer applies.

Nope John, Labour forced the government to push it back twelve months.

It won't start until 1 July, 2018

So we have another twelve months.....woohooBigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Although you can only bring in $400 worth from overseas when travelling, so, legally Peter would have to pay the GST, that is if he declares it.

If he doesn't and they find out, I do not know what the penalty would be.

As someone stated before, the cheapest, best and easiest way is to buy over the net and pay the postage. You'll still be in front (unless you want to smuggle it inBlink BigGrin Flapper LOL )

Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DV
Offline xxup  
#16 Posted : 25 August 2017 08:57:21(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I think that the big problem with bringing something like an eCOS back in hand luggage is that the security people will have no idea what it is and might confiscate it out of spite.. Huh
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline sjbartels  
#17 Posted : 25 August 2017 18:44:02(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
I think that the big problem with bringing something like an eCOS back in hand luggage is that the security people will have no idea what it is and might confiscate it out of spite.. Huh

Or decide they want it!!!

I was delayed coming back from Amsterdam because the screener identified I had locomotives in my luggage and wanted/insisted I open my bag for "inspection" which ended up being a 15 minute discussion about them (and not from a security perspective!)
Offline Minok  
#18 Posted : 25 August 2017 21:24:10(UTC)
Minok

United States   

Many thanks

PeterConfused Cool

VAT is included in the prices listed. If you want to export the item home, you have to claim back the VAT when leaving the country/zone. (note; EU is one entity, Switzerland isn't in the EU and a separate entity, etc).

There is paperwork you may need to complete at the store, and there are likely minimum purchase amounts to even kick in the VAT refund. At minimum you need the receipts and items to show as you leave the customs zone in the airport.

However, if you can, I'd recommend you buy at a shop and have it exported directly from the shop (have it mail it to your home) as an option to take out the whole process of airport/border checking that requires you carry items in your carry on I think.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Western Pacific  
#19 Posted : 26 August 2017 16:32:09(UTC)
Western Pacific

Sweden   
Before Sweden joined the EU I did this a number of times leaving Germany by both car and train - in the early days it was the German customs that had to verify that the Märklin purchases were exported from Germany.

I have been on a couple of train journeys where no German customs officer showed up before the train was put on a ferry at Puttgarden to Rødby in Denmark, but thanks to the fact that I live in the Stockholm region, the issue could be solved by a visit to the German embassy in Stockholm. This worked fine if it was a "limited number of items", like two or three Märklin engines. The staff at the embassy wasn't so happy if it was a large number of items.

Later, but still before Sweden joined the EU, on a car trip I had the Danish customs at the ferry harbour i Helsingør stamp the papers that the Märklin purchases were exported from the EU. I think this was a trip the last year before Sweden joined the EU.

Offline baggio  
#20 Posted : 26 August 2017 21:38:00(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I couldn't get the VAT refund from those apathetic frogs but when I returned home

Please refrain from making racial slurs on the forum. Thank you.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline MarioFabro  
#21 Posted : 01 September 2017 15:40:37(UTC)
MarioFabro

United States   
I had a real headache with VAT when I bought a beautiful Certina watch from Switzerland for my dads 60th to take back to Australia.

I was aware of VAT and discussed the deduction with the store but where I came unstuck was that I had travelled by train from Switzerland to Germany and then to France.

The airport staff said I couldn't claim the VAT because it was bought in Switzerland and that I should have claimed it when flying out of Switzerland.
They didn't seem to understand (or likely didn't care) that I had travelled by train and so had no previous opportunity to claim VAT from an airport on a departing international flightCursing

I couldn't get the VAT refund from those apathetic frogs but when I returned home I explained it by e-mail with the Swiss watch shop and by providing them with flight tickets etc. they were able to process and send me the VAT refund.

You have to remember that Switzerland is not part of the EU.. there may be problems with this type of financial transactions with countries not part of the EU. In general, tax refund should be processed at the border of the country that applied the VAT. In that case, even if traveling by train, you have to stop at the border and inquire with the local custom authorities
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageEra IV-VI --- "If you have brains you love trains" or "When I grow up, I will play with trains"
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MarioFabro
Offline TEEWolf  
#22 Posted : 01 September 2017 18:37:34(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
I couldn't get the VAT refund from those apathetic frogs but when I returned home

Please refrain from making racial slurs on the forum. Thank you.

But what is an "apathetic frog"? Google, Wikipedia, no one knows a real answer.

What did one wrote:
"... but I’m still perplexed by one mysterious figure… the apathetic frog."

(see here)
Apathetic Frog I

Aha, a mysterious figure is sitting at the custom at Paris airport refusing money! Was ist CDG (Charles-de-Gaulle)? or LBG (Le Bourget)? Or even an airport in another country? Laugh

Baggio, shouldn't we have mercy with down under? Huh Why should these people know, that Europe is a continent built up by 47 states?Mellow And every state has its own jurisprudence!
This is different to the continent Australia: one continent, one state, one law, but two head of state representatives - and one is from Europe!Laugh Love.

So the apathetic frog remains as a mysterie!?!Blink

This does not help either:
Apathetic Frog II
or
Apathetic Frog III

Have a nice day.BigGrin Cool and be happy: the "apathtic frog" has obviously nothing to do with a MRR.LOL Love

TEEWolf
Offline baggio  
#23 Posted : 01 September 2017 20:41:05(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

I don't know if you are making a bad joke or what. So that you know, a "frog" is a racial slur to describe francophones.

Such epithets do not belong in MMR discussions. Repeating them over and over just makes the matter worse.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline Minok  
#24 Posted : 01 September 2017 20:48:50(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Agreed. The only valid use of the term frog is in referring to a portion of a track switch/turnout.
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline TEEWolf  
#25 Posted : 01 September 2017 22:21:54(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post

I don't know if you are making a bad joke or what. So that you know, a "frog" is a racial slur to describe francophones.

Such epithets do not belong in MMR discussions. Repeating them over and over just makes the matter worse.

A frog is an animal and nothing else. But @applor used the expression "apathetic frog".

And an animal is an animal and not a francophones (what is that???) or whatever you think, definitely and certainly not a racial slur.

And what is a "apathetic frog"? You still did not define it. I tried this, but did not found a sufficient answer.

What a few people are perhaps using locally in their slang as a alleged racial slur or what ever, is not my problem. It is their problem. I do not speak a language slang, I speak a language. And I guess, also @applor does not know the opinion, you want to understand and using. I use a language in its original meaning and not in an imaginary presumption.

As e.g. Americans call Germans quite often "Krauts". And yes indeed, I am a "Kraut", because I eat many “Kraut”, minimum once a week and I am a German. In my region it is a famous and well loved local dish: "Bratwuerste with Kraut". Even the English word for Kraut is cabbage. But our cabbage is different and a local speciality. And yes, I eat plenty of "red kraut", "blue kraut" and "Sauerkraut" (which comes from the white cabbage vegetable), which the Americans say only "kraut" for all of them. And so what? Do you think this is a racial offend? I do not think so. I laugh about them and invite them for a dinner, serving “Bratwurst and Kraut”.
Offline Minok  
#26 Posted : 01 September 2017 22:37:31(UTC)
Minok

United States   
TEEWolf,

What we are trying to clarify for you is that in the English language world the term, as it was used, was as a pejorative.

You use the words, but you don't understand the subtleties of the language, and the fact that the use of the word frog, when referring to a french speaker (aka francophone), is derogatory.
The term was not used to refer to an amphibian, as that would have made no sense whatsoever.

For the same reason that we don't get to use the word "Neger" in German anymore, because the misuse in English and cultural sensitivities, the use of the word "frog" in the insulting manner is wrong.

Hopefully this clarifies it enough.
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline mike c  
#27 Posted : 02 September 2017 01:48:11(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Applor's use of the word frog is not appropriate. Apathetic meaning showing no emotion, care or concern is ok. "A pathetic" instead of apathetic would be ok if followed by say, the words "customs official", but calling somebody a "Frog", "Wop", "Chink", or similar is not something that we should do in the forum or in civilized discussion for that matter.

France is in no way responsible for VAT or sales tax refunds for goods purchased in Switzerland, unless French taxes were imposed on the goods when they were imported into France and in that case, the refund would be limited to what was paid in France and would not include the original Swiss taxes. The buyer should know that refunds have to be obtained in the country where the goods purchased, as not all Europe is part of the EU and even then, the VAT rates between EU nations are not yet fully harmonized.

Regards

Mike C

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline TEEWolf  
#28 Posted : 02 September 2017 15:31:36(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Applor's use of the word frog is not appropriate. Apathetic meaning showing no emotion, care or concern is ok. "A pathetic" instead of apathetic would be ok if followed by say, the words "customs official", but calling somebody a "Frog", "Wop", "Chink", or similar is not something that we should do in the forum or in civilized discussion for that matter.

France is in no way responsible for VAT or sales tax refunds for goods purchased in Switzerland, unless French taxes were imposed on the goods when they were imported into France and in that case, the refund would be limited to what was paid in France and would not include the original Swiss taxes. The buyer should know that refunds have to be obtained in the country where the goods purchased, as not all Europe is part of the EU and even then, the VAT rates between EU nations are not yet fully harmonized.

Regards

Mike C

Thank you and all others for the explanation. Perhaps this "apathetic frog" expression is a rude word, but for me it is still not a "racial slur". Where is a race implied?

And @applor has to be happy that the French customs did not charge him for the higher sales taxes in France. Because Switzerland has 8% sales taxes and France 20%. The German customs would have charged him for the German sales tax (19%) and in addition would have fined him for tax fraud, if he would have flown out of Germany. Because he did not declare his imported expensive goods while entering Germany by train. Everybody who is entering Germany not by plane or ship has only a value for imported goods up to 300 € VAT free (so called Einfuhrumsatzsteuer).
Offline Purellum  
#29 Posted : 02 September 2017 18:15:21(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Perhaps this "apathetic frog" expression is a rude word, but for me it is still not a "racial slur". Where is a race implied?

Agreed, to me it's just a friendly nickname, written in the joking / friendly / "half rude" spirit we've always have had in this forum.

And if the Marklin-users police hadn't commented on the word in the first place, I'm sure nobody would have noticed or taken offence.

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Wildrose-Wally  
#30 Posted : 02 September 2017 20:12:41(UTC)
Wildrose-Wally

Canada   
Actually in my country it is very well known as a slur, the same as n****r is known for a black person. It just should never be used in a forum like this.
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Wildrose-Wally
Offline Rwill  
#31 Posted : 02 September 2017 20:37:16(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Perhaps it would be best if we moved on from this diversion off topic with a little reflection as follows:

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline applor  
#32 Posted : 03 September 2017 02:25:55(UTC)
applor

Australia   
I hadn't been back to this thread and didn't realise how much my use of the term frog had caused such an uproar.

I had not realised it was considered such an offensive term and for me my use of it would be much the same as how the british are often referred to as poms (or maybe that is super offensive in Europe as well?)

I apologize for the offensive I caused, it was certainly not intended by any means - just a part of story telling. I think those familiar with the larrikin nature of us Australians would have known this.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by applor
Offline Wildrose-Wally  
#33 Posted : 03 September 2017 02:43:01(UTC)
Wildrose-Wally

Canada   
I think it's time to close this topic, everything that needed to be said has been said.
UserPostedImage
Offline Jabez  
#34 Posted : 03 September 2017 03:06:01(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
It's encouraging that it was only after 10 on-topic replies to your post and two days later that the local PC-policeman kicked into action. It shows that most members on this site are not focused on sniffing out supposed transgressions of this nature.
A reasonable objection might have been to say that as members of the site include French, Italian, German, Spanish, American, and even English people, don't refer to their fellow nationals as Frogs, Wops, Krauts, Dagoes, Yanks, or Limeys or Poms or even Inselaffen or Rosbifs.
To say Please refrain from making racial slurs on the forum. Thank you. is both absurd and pompous.
Jabez
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline baggio  
#35 Posted : 03 September 2017 04:20:58(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post
To say Please refrain from making racial slurs on the forum. Thank you.is both absurd and pompous.
Jabez

Come to Canada and say that to a Francophone and see what you get in response!

Your comment is thoughtless, to say the least.
Offline sjbartels  
#36 Posted : 03 September 2017 04:37:05(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
OK, enough is enough, this thread has gone seriously off topic. I am locking this thread
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#37 Posted : 03 September 2017 05:10:30(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Just a reminder for all forum members that Juhan's policy in this regard is for members to not try and self moderate publicly in threads, but to contact a Moderator, express your concerns and let the Moderators deal with the situation. Otherwise, we all end up with the situation that has happened in this thread.

The 'Report' button is provided for this purpose.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz