Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MalinAC  
#1 Posted : 08 August 2017 10:36:26(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Hi guys ,Im trying to find out when Marklin took over the Hamo brand and start putting the Marklin name on Hamo products. I have 3 very nice trams and trollys all DC 2 rail but I cant find the Marklin name anywhere , only Hamo The motors are enclosed in like a round ball and are very smooth runners. Thanks Eddie
Offline GlennM  
#2 Posted : 08 August 2017 11:27:52(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Eddie,

I am not 100% sure, and I am sure someone will correct me but I thought Marklin purchased Hamo in 1964.

BR
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline MalinAC  
#3 Posted : 08 August 2017 11:55:57(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Thanks Glenn
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 08 August 2017 15:03:44(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: MalinAC Go to Quoted Post
Hi guys ,Im trying to find out when Marklin took over the Hamo brand and start putting the Marklin name on Hamo products. I have 3 very nice trams and trollys all DC 2 rail but I cant find the Marklin name anywhere , only Hamo The motors are enclosed in like a round ball and are very smooth runners. Thanks Eddie

I don't think Marklin ever had the trolly and tramcars in their range. I suspect Hamo had stopped making them before they were acquired by Marklin.

Offline MalinAC  
#5 Posted : 08 August 2017 17:13:53(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Thanks Alan
Offline GlennM  
#6 Posted : 09 August 2017 11:42:54(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

I don't think Marklin ever had the trolly and tramcars in their range. I suspect Hamo had stopped making them before they were acquired by Marklin.

Alan, I am no expert, and whilst the trams never appeared in the annual Marklin catalog, I am quite sure Marklin continued to issue the Hamo trams till around 1967 under the dual Marklin Hamo name. I have no pictures but I have seen them for sale at auctions and you will need a second mortgage handy.

I am sure one of the members will have a picture or two.
Offline MalinAC  
#7 Posted : 09 August 2017 11:58:56(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
These are said Hamo units .All 2 axle and DCIMG_0919.JPGIMG_0918.JPG. , I assume they are hard to find so should be worth holding on to . Eddie
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MalinAC
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 09 August 2017 14:59:54(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: GlennM Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Alan, I am no expert, and whilst the trams never appeared in the annual Marklin catalog, I am quite sure Marklin continued to issue the Hamo trams till around 1967 under the dual Marklin Hamo name. I have no pictures but I have seen them for sale at auctions and you will need a second mortgage handy.

OK, thanks Glenn.
Offline Markus Schild  
#9 Posted : 10 August 2017 10:51:05(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   

Hi Glenn,

You are absolutely correct. Märklin bought the brand name and the stock of HAMO on Jan 1st. 1964. I don't believe they ever produced anything at Nuremberg, but they used the address for the HAMO-activities until 1967. The tram - assortment was reduced from 1965 and it looks like only old stock was sold. But the tram got new numbers according to the four-digit Märklin-system. But for example rails were not offered any more.
The Märklin main catalogues only contained a hint to the trams: "...ask your dealer for the special catalogue.."
Example from main catalogue 1966:
UserPostedImage

And the last HAMO catalogue containing the trams from 1966:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s...6-hamo-15701-ln-0566.pdf

Regards

Markus

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline GlennM  
#10 Posted : 10 August 2017 11:12:44(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post

Hi Glenn,

You are absolutely correct. Märklin bought the brand name and the stock of HAMO on Jan 1st. 1964. I don't believe they ever produced anything at Nuremberg, but they used the address for the HAMO-activities until 1967. The tram - assortment was reduced from 1965 and it looks like only old stock was sold. But the tram got new numbers according to the four-digit Märklin-system. But for example rails were not offered any more.
The Märklin main catalogues only contained a hint to the trams: "...ask your dealer for the special catalogue.."
Example from main catalogue 1966:
UserPostedImage

And the last HAMO catalogue containing the trams from 1966:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s...6-hamo-15701-ln-0566.pdf

Regards

Markus

Thanks Marcus ThumpUp It is always nice to see the old brochures, reminds me of my childhood, when I would spend hours reading the various catalogs
Offline JohnjeanB  
#11 Posted : 10 August 2017 14:55:14(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Thanks Marcus, I enjoyed seing it.

It is fun to see those Catalogues from happy times and simplified trains
Cheers
Jean
Offline GlennM  
#12 Posted : 11 August 2017 11:52:20(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
I found this interesting summary within a post on Stummi Forum, it is in German but can easily be translated on any internet translation page;

"der Name HAMO dürfte wohl vielen von Euch bekannt sein, nicht nur als zwei Leiter Ausführung von Märklin Loks, sondern auch als Straßenbahn Hersteller.Ich habe mal ein wenig in der HAMO Geschichte gegraben und dabei folgendes erfahren:

Bereits Ende der 40er Jahre entwickelte der Nürnberger Elektro- und Spielwarenhändler Georg Dörfler die ersten Straßenbahn Modelle in der damals gängigen Spur 00 / H0 in zwei Leiter Gleichstrom. Da er diese auch vermarkten wollte, gründete er um 1950 mit dem Ingenieur A. Feldgiebel die Firma FEMO in Feucht bei Nürnberg. Das erste öffentliche Auftreten der Straßenbahn war im Jahr 1951 auf der Nürnberger Spielzeugmesse. Es wurde schon ein kleines Sortiment angeboten, bestehend aus einem Triebwagen mit Beiwagen, Rillengleisen aus Blech, Oberleitung und einem - der echten Straßenbahn nachempfundenen - Fahrregler.

Obwohl die Fachpresse begeistert war fand das Angebot jedoch beim Fachpuplikum keine, bzw. nur eine sehr geringen Resonanz, worauf hin die Serienproduktion erst einmal zurückgestellt wurde.

Die Firma Alfred Hannemann Modellbau ( HAMO ) kaufte Ende 1952 die Pläne und Werkzeuge, überarbeitete alles und stellte die HAMO Bahn im Jahre 1953 erneut dem Fachpuplikum auf der Nürnberger Spielwaren Messe vor, dieses Mal mit dem erhofften Erfolg.

Ab 1963 setllte HAMO seine Straßenbahnen aus Zinkdruckguß in der bekannten Baugröße 00 / H0 her. Der Maßstab war erheblich größer als 1 :87. Außerdem wurde noch ein neues Kunststoff Rillen Gleissystem geschaffen, somit wurde - nicht nur für die damalige Zeit - ein einzigartiges Straßenbahn Sortiment angeboten.

Das HAMO Sortiment wurde von 1954 bis 1962 sehr zügig ausgenaut und in den Jahren1959 und 1960 gab es sogar zwei Dieselloks, eine V 80 und die bekannte Lollo V 160. Beide Loks gab es auch als Bausatz im Programm. Außerdem gab es auch Fahrgestelle und Einzelteile für den Selbstbau von Straßenbahnen. Was ganz bemerkenswert war das waren die Kupplungen, die der Scharfenberg Kupplung sehr ähnelten.

Als letzte Triebwagen Neuheit kam 1962 der Oldtimer Triebwagen T 204 und ein Jahr später der Beiwagen A 204 auf den Markt.Im Oktober 1963 schloß Alfred Hannemann seine Firma aus persönlichen Gründen. Daraufhin trat die Firma Märklin als Gescellschafterin ein und brachte das HAMO Sortiment im Februar 1964 wieder unter dem Namen "HAMO Modellfahrzeuge GmbH" auf den Markt.

Im Jahr 1964 wurde dann auch neben dem Straßenbahn Programm eine Märklin E 44 als HAMO Modell angeboten. Im Katalog 1965/66 wurden dann das HAMO Wechselstrom Programm noch um andere Loks ergänzt. So gab es die 3023, 3024, 3052 und 3063 unter dem Titel "HAMO-Liebhaber-Modelle - etwas Besonderes für Ihre Anlage". Das Straßenbahn Programm erhielt neue Bestellnummern und die Dieselloks gab es nicht mehr.

Schon ein Jahr später, schrumpfte das Märklin Lok Programm auf nur noch 3 Modelle zusammen, die jetzt unter dem Titel Märklin-Liebhaber-Modelle liefen.Im Februar 1966 erschien dann das Faltblatt TA 02 66 Ka, in dem der Name HAMO für das Zweischienen-Gleichstrom-Angebot der Firma Märklin geprägt wurde. Märklin übernahm den direkten Vertrieb der Straßenbahnen. Gleichzeitig lief jedoch die Straßenbahn-Produktion bereits aus. Im besagten Faltblatt wurden außer Triebwagen und Beiwagen keinerlei Schienen, Zubehör oder Geschenkpackungen mehr angeboten und nach 1967 verschwand die Straßenbahn vollständig aus den Katalogen
."

I also found that there had been an interesting post in this Forum dating back to 2011, (click HERE for link) which has a photo (reposted) from Cookie_NZ of a nice Marklin Hamo tram ThumpUp ThumpUp

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 14 August 2017 01:07:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified