Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Robert Davies  
#1 Posted : 03 August 2017 22:27:38(UTC)
Robert Davies

United Kingdom   
I am aware that a related topic has covered a problem with M-track lanterns ( M-track lantern woes ) but I am now experiencing the same problem with K-track lanterns and I wonder if anyone also has this problem and what they may have done about it.

Most of my points are 226x type (is that R2?) and the lanterns are invariably on the same side as the turnout. This means that vehicles when turning right or left throw towards the lantern and we all know that the longer the vehicle the greater the centre-throw is on curves. I have never experienced a problem until now but when giving it a run out for the first time, I have one vehicle from set 42165 which consistently hits lanterns when being diverted from straight. Usually this results in a derailment but sometimes the top gets pulled out of the lantern unit.

42165 is a set of three SBB 'lightweight' coaches and the problem is a low-hanging battery box on one side of 42165-03 (vehicle number 5677). It is right on the centre-line of the vehicle so exactly where the centre-throw is at its maximum. All three coaches in the set have this battery box but the others are not in same position so they do not cause a problem.

A solution would be to cut off the box and re-fix it nearer to one end of the coach so that it doesn't throw so far but before I adopt that rather drastic solution does anyone have any better ideas on how I can get over this problem? (Before anyone suggests it, I am not prepared to remove all the point lanterns!!)

Thanks in anticipation.
Robert
Era III - IV
2 x Central Station 2 v.2 (60214 + 60215)
Hardware versions 3.6 / 4.33
Software version 4.2.1 (0)
Offline applor  
#2 Posted : 04 August 2017 05:46:35(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Well if you don't want to make changes to your layout it seems the only option is to modify or sell the offending coach.

Solutions that involve the layout are: using wide radius points only (bit late for that) or mount the turnout lanterns on the straight side of the turnout, which would involve mounting the switch mechanism on the curved side which for the R2 points means you need to use the under board kit (which in turn would mean using servos, since solenoids with under board kits are unreliable)
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by applor