Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MKOpSeattle  
#1 Posted : 18 July 2017 02:43:42(UTC)
MKOpSeattle

United States   
I recently purchased two steam loks, 39017 and 37455. I'm a newly digital convert and like the sound of both engines. I do notice one feature on both loks and am not sure it was intended or operator error. I'm using a MS2. When I tried to stop the lok, I turned the red dial counter-clockwise quickly until no horizontal bar was showing. The steam lok then slow down according to the deceleration setting and squealing brakes sound before it came to a stop. What I saw was that the steam engine sound was completely off as soon as I turned the dial CCW. So there was a quiet few seconds until the squealing brakes sound.

I also have an electric lok 39863. I did the same as the steam lok to stop it. But the engine sound continued and matched the speed of the lok until it stopped. I think this is more realistic and I like it better.

Is this no steam engine sound before stopping normal or I didn't do it correctly?
Offline PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 18 July 2017 02:51:55(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
In another thread on this forum, I can't remember which one, I asked a similar question regarding the sound shut off of a steam engine when you quickly turn down the speed and I was told that was prototypically correct. In fact all of my MFX steam locos react this way.

Cheers
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline MKOpSeattle  
#3 Posted : 18 July 2017 03:38:34(UTC)
MKOpSeattle

United States   
Thank you, Peter.

I thought it was a rookie mistake on my part.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 19 July 2017 13:02:59(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi

I have a problem on a MSD3 decoder that may be related to the issue you have:
all the marklin locos I have (with factory-mounted decoders) have their sound brakes working fine BUT
the brake sound is only triggered when you make an abrupt stop from a high speed (this speed may vary from one model to another).

I observe a minimum of 65% speed followed by abrupt stop is needed.

There are 2 parameters with this

- the brake level (Bremsschwelle): it is the speed from which you start hearing the brake sound. It is well documented, working well and often set to 35%

- the brake trigger (Bandbreite Bremsenquietschen) which is the speed you must reach to trigger the brake sound when stopping abruply (failing to reach that speed NO BRAKE SOUND WILL BE TRIGGERED). This one I believe is not very much documented and -according to others (In Stummi forum)- can only be changed using the decoder programmer mDT3.
I am still looking for a way to change (reduce) the value of this parameter from the CS2
Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 20 July 2017 03:52:18(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I thought this sound slot would have been pre programmed by the manufacturer ? and wouldn't need any adjustments.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode