Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sonra  
#1 Posted : 15 July 2017 12:34:16(UTC)
sonra

Israel   
Hi guys
I am planning to visit Germany for first time on OCT. 2017 ( and it a really the time for my age 64 )
I am going to stay about a week in Berlin and want to travel to Hamburg mainly to see the miniatur wunderland exhibition.
my questions
1) Should I take 2 days for this tour ( If I came the first day morning by train from Berlin and leave on the second day ) ?
2) Does any one know not expansive hotel near the exhibition ?
3) any good shops in Hamburg or B erlin that I can return with some load in my suitcase ?
Regards ahead Doron
Regards
Doron
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 15 July 2017 12:41:13(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
A couple of things:
1. You must book the Wonderland tour well in advance; and
2. I don't think that one day is enough - it is so huge that it is initially overwhelming and you miss the finer details. AND it is bigger than when I was last there in December 2012. I would try to do two days there.

There are other things to do in Hamburg, but I guess it depends on your interests. This link might be useful -> https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attractions-g187331-Activities-Hamburg.html

As to the shopping, I think that I will leave that to our German members that live in the area or regularly commute to the area.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Alsterstreek  
#3 Posted : 15 July 2017 13:01:49(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Do not miss out the Gauge 1 museum layout in the Hamburg Museum (not too far from MaWuLa) - see map.
fussweg miwula-Mehev.png
Not crowded and very impressive. Link (with more info and pictures): http://www.mehev.de/en/bilder.html

Regarding shops in Hamburg, I gave tips here in 2014: https://www.marklin-user...rs-in-Hamburg#post437814

Just one more suggestion: you could take the "surface" S-Bahn between Hamburg-Hauptbahnhof (Hbf.) and Hamburg-Altona or vice versa (served by lines S2/S3/S11). The S-Bahn parallels the busy long distance tracks, offering views of all kind of long distance trains. Between Hamburg-Hbf. (nice large station hall) and Hamburg-Dammtor (nice small station hall) one can get a glimpse of the beautiful Alster lakes and elegant downtown. Approach to (or departure from) Hamburg-Altona is via an extended elevated bridge flying over the terminus station throat, offering a view over the latter (which is in decay).
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline sonra  
#4 Posted : 17 July 2017 14:22:55(UTC)
sonra

Israel   
Hi
Thanks for help
Regards
Doron
Offline White Buffalo  
#5 Posted : 20 July 2017 01:08:40(UTC)
White Buffalo

United States   
This is a great thread! I hope to do this trip as well in the next few years.....
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by White Buffalo
Offline HO Collector  
#6 Posted : 29 July 2017 22:29:25(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: sonra Go to Quoted Post
Hi guys
I am planning to visit Germany for first time on OCT. 2017 ( and it a really the time for my age 64 )
I am going to stay about a week in Berlin and want to travel to Hamburg mainly to see the miniatur wunderland exhibition.
my questions
1) Should I take 2 days for this tour ( If I came the first day morning by train from Berlin and leave on the second day ) ?
2) Does any one know not expansive hotel near the exhibition ?
3) any good shops in Hamburg or B erlin that I can return with some load in my suitcase ?
Regards ahead Doron

Shalom Doron
Not trains but don't miss the following https://www.tripadvisor....eptower_Park-Berlin.html an amazing place! Try to find information about the symbolism used when the memorial was planed. Berlin is just amazing.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by HO Collector