Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mb300e4m  
#1 Posted : 08 July 2017 00:12:14(UTC)
mb300e4m

I have a Marklin 48704 "Looney Tunes" Recording Car and the simple instructions tell how to make a recording but do not mention a battery. I assume it does have some kind of battery as it has no pickups that could contact the track for power. Does anyone know what type of battery it is and how do I change it? Confused

Thanks in advance,

Peter B.
Peter B.
In Sunny Florida most of the time.
Marklin, Trix Express, Trix Twin, Fleischmann, Liliput, Hornby Dublo, and Others, 2 & 3 Rail, AC, DC and Digital, Course Scale Wheels & Fine, 1935 to 1960s usually.
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 08 July 2017 04:57:38(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I have this one from Miss 17's collection.. I will take some photos and let you know the detail.. I just have to find it somewhere...
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline xxup  
#3 Posted : 08 July 2017 07:48:10(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
First step is to flick off the couplers with a screwdriver.

Under the couplers is two white sets of clips. Squeeze these together to release the upper body from the frame.
UserPostedImage

Whatever you do - don't undo this screw. You don't need to as the insides just fall out when you turn the wagon upside down..
UserPostedImage

There are two batteries. One of half out in this image. You will also note that the clip holding the speaker onto the tube is loose. I need to fix this will a cable tie before reassemly. There is also a grey rubber cup thing that has fallen out. I suspect that this goes over the record switch.
UserPostedImage

Another view of the circuit board and speaker housing..
UserPostedImage

The batteries are CR2032, but as that is standard international battery number, it probably means nothing in the USA.. Laugh
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline xxup  
#4 Posted : 08 July 2017 08:54:07(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
New batteries installed and ready to roll.

UserPostedImage

Based on the recording that was amazingly still preserved - it was last used 12.5 years ago, when Miss 17 was in grade 1. Laugh
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline mb300e4m  
#5 Posted : 08 July 2017 13:52:15(UTC)
mb300e4m

Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
New batteries installed and ready to roll.

Based on the recording that was amazingly still preserved - it was last used 12.5 years ago, when Miss 17 was in grade 1. Laugh

Thanks very much Adrian for your quick response and super pictures, I really appreciate your help. I followed your instructions and have changed out the batteries. The battery number is correct for the US of A too.

Best regards,

Peter B.
Peter B.
Marklin, Trix Express, Trix Twin, Fleischmann, Liliput, Hornby Dublo, and Others, 2 & 3 Rail, AC, DC and Digital, Course Scale Wheels & Fine, 1935 to 1960s usually.
Offline ixldoc  
#6 Posted : 09 July 2017 04:22:05(UTC)
ixldoc

Australia   
Hi Adrian,
What is the function of the LDR I can see on the underside. Can it be used to trigger the sound by passing over a light or something?
Regards,
Howard.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ixldoc
Offline xxup  
#7 Posted : 09 July 2017 23:31:36(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Hello Howard,

It is actually the record switch for a message, which is later replayed by pressing the button on top of the wagon. When I pulled the cover off the wagon, a grey rubber boot fell out on to the table. It seems to fit into the hole that you see above the record switch and is held in place by the wagon base after the wagon is assembled. Peter should be able to confirm this for us.

My guess is that pressing the rubber boot close to the LDR must change the resistance and act as the switch for the recording function. Otherwise it is not a LDR and is something else like two halves of a switch that bridge when the conductive rubber (is there such a thing?) is pressed against the contacts.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline mb300e4m  
#8 Posted : 14 July 2017 00:13:54(UTC)
mb300e4m

Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Hello Howard,

It is actually the record switch for a message, which is later replayed by pressing the button on top of the wagon. When I pulled the cover off the wagon, a grey rubber boot fell out on to the table. It seems to fit into the hole that you see above the record switch and is held in place by the wagon base after the wagon is assembled. Peter should be able to confirm this for us.

My guess is that pressing the rubber boot close to the LDR must change the resistance and act as the switch for the recording function. Otherwise it is not a LDR and is something else like two halves of a switch that bridge when the conductive rubber (is there such a thing?) is pressed against the contacts.

Hi Adrian and Howard, that is exactly what it is and does, it initiates the recording. When it is pressed, a red LED lights and can be seen through a hole in the bottom of the wagon. The recording time is about 10 seconds.

Peter B.
Peter B.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mb300e4m
Offline ixldoc  
#9 Posted : 14 July 2017 23:25:53(UTC)
ixldoc

Australia   
Thanks for the explanation Adrian and Peter.
What appears to be an LDR is therefore probably the PCB contacts of a switch and the rubber button has a carbon face to make the switch.

I have a few of these small sound record boards and use them for station announcements up to 8- 10 seconds.
I type the announcement in English, then Google translate. Copy the translation (I use German) then paste to "Best Text to Speech Demo"site on the internet.
There you have a choice of which voice you want to use and if you want to modify it in any way.
I choose a woman's voice with reverb added and voila! the perfect station announcement.
It can be triggered by push button or any track switch method.( contact track, slider switch, IR etc).
Cheers,
Howard.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by ixldoc