Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline xlietzjar  
#1 Posted : 05 July 2017 18:06:53(UTC)
xlietzjar

Finland   
Hi,

New to this forum.

I have with my son been enjoying MyWorld trains (4 battery locomotives, 15+ carriages) & tracks but I am getting increasingly annoyed with having to replace the 4 AA batteries in the locomotives quite often. I do have rechargeable AA batteries but their performance is rather poor compared to the normal batteries.

Does anyone supply replacements for this 4 AA battery compartment with a i.e. Li-Ion battery that is rechargeable, or any idea / instructions if anything could be done.

We are not yet ready to move to "adult" versions for a few years so would like to hear if anyone has ideas.

Thanks!
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 05 July 2017 22:12:59(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Welcome to the forum.

There are higher capacity rechargeable batteries available, but you need to buy the correct charger. The problem is that I am not sure that the more expensive batteries will give you much more than a 25% improvement in running time.

In any case, here is one review --> https://www.digitaltrends.com/buying-guides/best-rechargeable-batteries/

The problem with using other types of batteries is going to be fit.. The Tamiya 7.2V battery used for RC cars might work, but where will it fit? It also needs a special charger with the correct plug.

The lithium-ion batteries are too dangerous for children under 8 years of age and they need a special (expensive) charger.. They need to be discharged to a storage level when not in use for an extended period.

Your high battery consumption means that your son is really enjoying the trains, and this is a really good thing.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline artfull dodger  
#3 Posted : 05 July 2017 23:05:52(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Sounds like its about time to upgrade to a basic track powered starter set with mobile station. Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
Offline xlietzjar  
#4 Posted : 06 July 2017 08:04:46(UTC)
xlietzjar

Finland   
Hi,

xxup, thanks for the tips on the batteries. I have been using Varta rechargeable batteries but they seem to lose their capacity in storage in 2 months or so.

On Li-Ion I was not meaning raw batteries but rather something like camera batteries that have a seperate charger, or even a complete power element - to replace the entire AA housing unit - that would have a i.e. USB or round (like in laptops) charging port or similar. Not a bad product idea actually.... Cool.

But that does not exist so I will get some new AA batteries.

Mike while I agree, with a dysfatic son a powered track will have to wait for 2-3 years.