Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline elsleuth  
#1 Posted : 04 July 2017 23:58:06(UTC)
elsleuth

Hi, I am running two trains on one track in opposite directions with a siding. I want to run the trains automatically. I use a CS2. All of my S88 go yellow when a loco or train pass over them and turn white when not occupied. All switches, and signals work from the keyboard. I like the brightness of my four 7188 signals which are run from K83s. They work when run from the keyboard. The signals are wired to the stop blocks rather than controlling the stop blocks with a K84. I did that originally but I couldn't tell if I had power to the track and the signal was still red. So I wired the signals to the track. It may be old fashioned but it works.

My problem is that when I program the route into the Memory for automatically running the signals won't stay "stuck." They won't stay red until I tell them to go green using S88s in conjunction with the K83's. If I program them to go green they do but will flip to red at random moments. Sometimes both signals begin doing the same thing resulting in utter chaos.

To try and solve this I changed the duration of the signal so they remained red or green longer. That has not worked. Also I sometimes have 2 or three dots blinking and flipping through the Memory sequence. I don't think this is normal. Shouldn't just one dot be blinking and moving through the sequence? I read that you can turn off the memory by hitting the edit button and then save. That works but if I inch a locomotive forward the Memory lights up like a Christmas tree and random events begin taking place and the dots begin dancing across the screen.

I have been told the following which I don't fully understand:

1. Multiple memory slots activating the same switch will need to be examined for conflicting triggers.
Not sure what conflicting triggers are.When I review the memory slots I don't see anything that conflicts. Is it conflicting if I tell a signal to turn red and when the next S88 is activated to turn green?

2. Nested memory routines that activate the same accessory. This is when a memory routine has been placed within the sequence of another memory routine. It is okay to do so, but you have to examine if both routines include the same accessory.
I don't have any nested memory routines that I know of. Could the CS2 generate them? Seems unlikely.I haven't used the Ext box at the bottom of the Memory panel.

3. Multiple S88 triggers activating memory scripts with same accessory. This can also sometimes occurs on the trigger settings, but it also depends on what method of track feedback you use.
Are the S88s considered track feedback? I did tell a signal to turn green and later to turn red. Does it make a difference in the Trigger settings if the loco is to the left or the right? I think when the train is on the left it triggers when it enters the S88 and when it is on the right it triggers when it leaves the S88. Apparently the problem has to do with triggering the signals so anything to do with triggers is suspect.

Here is how I have programed the Memory:

1. North Signal 10 to red, South Signal 8 to red
2 Signal 8 to green releasing train A.
3 S88 tells signal 8 to go back to red to stop it when it comes back to the same track
4 S88 tells signal 10 to go green releasing train B in the opposite direction
5 S88 tells signal 10 to go back to red to stop it when it comes back to the same track
6 S88 tells train B to slow down before coming into the station
7 S88 tells signal 8 to go green releasing train A.

I appreciate any wisdom you can share.
Offline clapcott  
#2 Posted : 05 July 2017 02:07:51(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
The first thing I would want clarified is how you have wired the return (ground) of your S88 sensors.

If you do not have a specific return, the sensors may appear to work but will also be "dirty" and the wire to the sensor will just be an aerial and may pulse multiple times and at random depending on your other electrical activity around the layout.
Peter
Offline elsleuth  
#3 Posted : 05 July 2017 04:01:45(UTC)
elsleuth

The S88 is grounded to the CS2 ground or the layout ground.
Offline elsleuth  
#4 Posted : 06 July 2017 03:01:21(UTC)
elsleuth

1. I tested all my S88’s and found two that didn’t work. Fixed them.
2. In my scripting I had some A1, to A2 scripts which are not needed. I removed them. As you know A1 goes to A2 and A3 automatically. That was the big problem.
My layout now works perfectly. One engine comes in and another leaves in the opposite direction. Thanks.
Offline Tommy Train  
#5 Posted : 01 September 2017 04:57:07(UTC)
Tommy Train

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
The first thing I would want clarified is how you have wired the return (ground) of your S88 sensors.

If you do not have a specific return, the sensors may appear to work but will also be "dirty" and the wire to the sensor will just be an aerial and may pulse multiple times and at random depending on your other electrical activity around the layout.

Hi

We have just got at CS3 and link s88. We are having the same problem were at leaving train once in af while triggers another to start. Can you explain what a specific return is? We have wired the link s88 with the brown track wire. Just from a track close to the link s88. Or perhaps explain how the best set up/connection would be.

Thanks Tommy (Denmark)
Offline elsleuth  
#6 Posted : 01 September 2017 15:20:40(UTC)
elsleuth

The S88 has two little upside down T's. Run your track ground to one of those upside down T's. and you should be good. Are you using the memory of your CS3? That was my problem. I didn't know how to program the memory. I now know how. I'm running four trains automatically. One train comes into the station and triggers another train to leave. I do that on two separate tracks.