Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 01ste02  
#1 Posted : 03 July 2017 10:59:42(UTC)
01ste02

Sweden   
Hello!

I was wondering how how an esu lokpilot v4 should get when in operation, as mine gets very hot very quickly (10 secs on full throttle and it is really hot to the touch...

Thanks for a quick answer
Oskar
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 01ste02
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 04 July 2017 10:32:01(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: 01ste02 Go to Quoted Post
Hello!

I was wondering how how an esu lokpilot v4 should get when in operation, as mine gets very hot very quickly (10 secs on full throttle and it is really hot to the touch...

Thanks for a quick answer
Oskar

follow my instructions and you will find the decoder should be ok, of course running the loco or trying to run the loco under your circumstances (digital conversion not complete) may be some other problems have developed, (armature burned) , copper brush, no capacitor (less harmful), no choke's (less harmful)
every decoder will experience some heat but not to that extend you're describing.

regards.,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline scraigen  
#3 Posted : 04 July 2017 21:56:04(UTC)
scraigen

I've done several Lokpilot v4 decoder conversions in the last few weeks, I've just run one around the track for 20sec or so and I could barely detect any temp change in the decoder, warmer than room temperature - yes but an increase by only a couple of degrees.

I'm driving a 5 pole motor with new brushes, but even so, something is very wrong if it's very hot within 10seconds.

Have you tried disconnecting the lights so you are only driving the motor?

Have you double checked all the wiring? The color coding for Esu is not the same as Marklin use, although I wouldn't expect it to move at all if you'd got the wiring wrong.
Must build something
Offline 01ste02  
#4 Posted : 04 July 2017 22:00:00(UTC)
01ste02

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: scraigen Go to Quoted Post

I've done several Lokpilot v4 decoder conversions in the last few weeks, I've just run one around the track for 20sec or so and I could barely detect any temp change in the decoder, warmer than room temperature - yes but an increase by only a couple of degrees.

I'm driving a 5 pole motor with new brushes, but even so, something is very wrong if it's very hot within 10seconds.

Have you tried disconnecting the lights so you are only driving the motor?

Have you double checked all the wiring? The color coding for Esu is not the same as Marklin use, although I wouldn't expect it to move at all if you'd got the wiring wrong.

I believe that part of the cause was my test/programming track (home-made) as the bearings were getting really tough to turn and causing friction that the loco couldn't handle. The other parts were (probably): 3-pole motor, broken magnet and missing chokes.

The whole thing is explained here:
Solution (hopefully)

Regards,
Oskar